Author Topic: Why is Avast infecting my computer.  (Read 3099 times)

REDACTED

Why is Avast infecting my computer.
« on: November 27, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
I have been having a problem with something related to Avast infecting my search engine.
I get a msg "add ons slowing down your computer and then my internet browser changes to search tab bars coming up multple times

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Why is Avast infecting my computer.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 07:49:39 PM »
Could you provide a screenshot of the message?
More information would be great since you didn't give us anything to go on.
OS?
Any other security software you have no or ever had? (Firewall, antispyware, etc.)
If uninstalled how was it removed?
Did you perform a task with avast before this happened?
What were you doing when it happened?
Did you do a fresh/clean install of avast? Or was it over the top of a previous version?
Which version of avast (v8, v2014, v2015)?
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 07:50:57 PM »
To me that sounds like a rogue add on

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 08:16:49 PM »
Hi I have been using that support form for weeks now and have not received any response except for the automated one saying that avast received my email. I have also got viruses from avast and I will no longer use it ever again. I want to cancel my subscription and want my money back. I have been emailing for weeks about a cancellation and I am pissed off with the lack of response! THIS IS THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER RECEIVED! If I keep getting a lack of response I will be telling everyone I know about this shitty service I have been receiving. Can someone please help me contact someone to cancel this awful subscription and get my money back.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:18:41 PM »
I have also got viruses from avast
and what virus would that be?

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
I am not sure what virus it was, I know my computer was infected with a trojan virus. A computer technician fixed it and I was told to cancel avast because that was the cause of it. Also your response was not helpful. I AM ASKING FOR HELP CANCELING MY SUBSCRIPTION AND GETTING MY MONEY BACK. In the past when I had questions I did not receive a response hence why I have stated that I have received THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 08:31:02 PM »
I know my computer was infected with a trojan virus.
no way was it comming from avast. ..... did avast not detect it?... that is possible as no security program have 100% detection

Also your response was not helpful. I AM ASKING FOR HELP CANCELING MY SUBSCRIPTION AND GETTING MY MONEY BACK.
I dont work for avast, so cant give you your money back

see Lukas post here   https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=155964.msg1130857#msg1130857

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:53:54 PM »
Are you aware we have malware removal experts right here on the forums? Best part is it's free!

If you are concerned that avast failed to detect some sort of malware, then you are in for a
rude awakening...there is no such thing as 100% detection. Each and every antivirus misses something.

As far as avast is to blame, what about software conflicts which could result in an infection?
There are too many variables to blame avast as being the culprit. Like Pondus said, "no way it was coming from avast."

edit: Please use respectful language in the future. Also you didn't ask about a refund in your original post.

I have been having a problem with something related to Avast infecting my search engine.
I get a msg "add ons slowing down your computer and then my internet browser changes to search tab bars coming up multple times
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:57:43 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.