Author Topic: Testing  (Read 13117 times)

brokenpcs

Testing
« on: September 03, 2005, 10:42:21 PM »
I know that this subject has been discussed many times. Though I really do not know if Avast 4.5 that I have is working properly or not. I did these tests the eicar with several of my accounts. Outlook express failed the most, (23). the other accounts only had anywhere from 1 to 4. So I would say these web accounts are protected.

Then I tested going to gfi.and Outlook and the others failed as they let these pass on through most of them. Again Outlook and gmail were the worse.

Now with that said I did check the ball and it does move for everything. Next I check the headers but nothing shows with Avast in it. Also check the box for sending a note if not affected inbound and out and again nothing seems to be working.

Before this program I had NIS and before that a preinstalled NAV 2001. I did the removal of these through control panel in which seemed to be find except for liveupdate stating there is still a norton product there. Search under Norton and Symantic found nothing.

However when I try to install an old CD software program I got an error message.
16 Bit Win Subsystem

C:Program/~1\symantic\s32evnt1.dll
An installable virtual device driver failed dll initialization.
Close or Ignore

OK I finally found out that I have to go into registry to delete s 32evnt1.dll. Didn't do this yet for I didn't have a backup utility. Just was told about downloading windows backup for win xp. So I should be able to backup the registry so I could then delete that file. Just to let you know the issues that I have.

My question is first would that s32evnt1.dll be my problem that avast may not be working correctly? If so will I first need to delete avast including the download then download and reinstall after that file of symantic is deleted? I do not have any symantic program that I want at all. I am not sure if I should delete the whole folder in registry symevnt. I did try using symantic removal tools but appearently it didn't remove the dll from the registry! Just to let you know I've tried that!

2. If not how do I really know if avast is working? And how do I get the headers to work along with the out going message. And yes I have them check!

I am quite new to this program and not use to having to do any configuration so I would need a step to step including how to locate the stuff in order to do it!

Oh after the tests I did a full scan and avast did find the eicar test as a virus. Even though it wasn't one. Was it suppose to do such? If so it was only one eicar test no others.

Thanks so much for your help. I like the program especially the audio updates easy to be aware of them. I just want to make sure this is really working. 
Denise
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 10:52:18 PM by brokenpcs »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Testing
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 01:38:53 AM »
Before any tests are carried out I would suggest that you ensure that the Internet Mail provider is running, e.g. is your mail being scanned, as I find it hard to believe that if it is working these test wouldn't get through.

gmail uses SSL encrypted receipt of email and as such can't be scanned by avast, that is the whole point of secure email. You would have to use third party software to allow gmail to be scanned.
GMAIL SSL AVAST and STUNNEL
Gmail and Avast Providers
Solution: Using GMail with Avast and a SPAM filter
Redirecting multiple SSL accounts

You mention Outlook and also Outlook express are you using both of these email programs?

Norton is an absolute pig to get rid off as you are finding, it is easier to get rid of a virus.

I shan't cover anything else in this post, there is simply too many questions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »
However when I try to install an old CD software program I got an error message.
16 Bit Win Subsystem
AVAST, XP SP2 & 16BIT PROBLEMS
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=6991.msg55146#msg55146

Even with all the information you gave I don't know what OS you use, but guessing XP because of the above problem.

Try these to test web shield.
Web Shield Test
http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com

NOD32 - JPEG Exploit
http://www.nod32.de/download/jpegcompoc.jpg
http://www.nod32.de/download/jpegcompoc.zip
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 01:55:25 AM »
I know that this subject has been discussed many times. Though I really do not know if Avast 4.5 that I have is working properly or not...

I'm not sure is that a typo on your side, but you should know that we are at avast! version 4.6 Build Jul2005 (4.6.691) now.

You should update your program if you didn't do that already...  ;) There were many program changes since the version 4.5, so it's highly recommended to upgrade your antivirus.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

brokenpcs

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 02:00:39 PM »
Sorry for having so many questions I just wanted to make sure that I covered everything. Appearently not oops!

First my OS is Win XP SP1.
I use Outlook Express 6 for one of my email accounts.

According to the Internet Mail provider it says The provider is currently running. Below that it has Scan Count 0; Infected Count 0; Run time 1:o8 and counting. I have the settings on High.

In the settings under redirect ports are

Pop 110; SMTP 25; IMAP 143; NNTP 119
Ignore Local Communications it's checked

Could this be the problem I never changed that?

In heuristics I do not have silent mode checked.

Heuristics advanced (which is all gray cannot change from there) has

Time period check: Check time 30 ; Warning Count 5 Check subject and check attachment

Mass Message Absolute Count 10 No silent mode.

I may have some problems with the avast so before I install anything more for the gmail issue (thanks I keep this in mind). And hopefully I know what I'm doing when installing it.  :D

Anywhy could these settings be wrong? I was under the impression that there was no configuration to this. I may have been wrong though  :-\

Thanks!.

brokenpcs

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 02:18:14 PM »
I went to that thread about XP SP2 and 16 bit problems.

Although I have Win. XP SP1 not 2. However went into the registry. and under the VDD this is what I have:

Default  Reg_SZ (Value not set)
C:\Progra~1\Symantec\s32evnt1.dll

The Default one was also in the Control set 001 ; Control set 002. Though do not have Control set 003 or 004. Yes I have control set.

I didn't see aswMonVd.dll at all in those settings.

Could this be my real problem?

What should I do? Yes I know I need that stupid symantic out but why didn't I have avast in there or is it considered the default?

There is avast folder in the registry under software.

thanks!

brokenpcs

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 02:21:46 PM »

I'm not sure is that a typo on your side, but you should know that we are at avast! version 4.6 Build Jul2005 (4.6.691) now.

Cheers !

Yes that was a typo  :-[ I do have the 4.6.691. and I get the auto updates too so that is working. Just cannot understand what's wrong.
Thanks!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 02:36:27 PM »
Default  Reg_SZ (Value not set)

That may be your problem your old av is not uninstalled properly
see this link  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10845.0

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 02:36:33 PM »
Firsy of all, nothing is wrong with your avast! settings under Internet Mail provider. Do not touch anything or you will just make things even worse...

Second of all, calm down a bit... there is a lot of confusing inromation you just typed. There is no beginning, there is no middle and there is no end as far as I can see.

Third thing. If you are talking about your Gmail account, of course avast! won't scann it. It uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connections and avast! doesn't work with them. You have to use some third party programs as STUNNEL to make avast! scanns your gmail mails... there are many threads already explaining how to configure everything. I can't say anything since I don't use it, but I'm sure SEARCH feature up there (button) will give you tens of hits...

Fourth thing... I am under impression you never properly uninstalled NORTON. Uninstalling it from Control Panel is not enough. Again, SEARCH feature will help you a lot on this one. See how and where... there are specific uninstall utilities for your specific version of antivirus or suite you had installed before... You have to use exactly the one you need, and nothing else.

Once Norton is completely uninstalled from your syste, and you are 180% sure there are no leftovers, you have to reboot your system and install avast! from the scratch. That is called CLEAN INSTALL.

Again, update your system to SP2. You NEED that. SP1 is not enough. There were many security updates since SP2 was released. There is nothing to be affraid. It's been discussed million of times already why you need SP2 installed. Those times when some people bragged about how SP2 is not good are way behind us... those people will always brag about something... I'm so happy they finally shut up their mouth once for all, can't hear from them a word any more  ;)

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 03:53:13 PM »
First, you should have aswMonVd.dll in all those registry keys. This is related to 16bit subsystem.
Do you use any other program of Symantec or not? I can guide you in both situations.

The entry for s32evnt1.dll will be, for sure, a problem.
This was, two years ago, my first question in avast forums. Symantec make a stupid thing on letting two groups of zeros into that key. It's stupid, it will just ignore any other driver installation. To avoid conflicts it does this... it is not automatically removed, it's really stupid...
The best things in life are free.

brokenpcs

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 05:13:36 PM »
Thanks about Gmail. As soon as I get this other stuff fix then I worry about that account. I don't open any emails that I do not know the person nor do I open any attachments without checking with that person making sure it was from them.

As with Norton well I did follow their uninstall instructions according to them to go to the control panel and remove it from there. However after looking into my folders I still found them on my computer.  :'( 

Then went to their site and downloaded their removal tools. Unfortunately it didn't work even though it stated successfully. Being that I have this error message when installing older programs. Followed the other instructions and manually deleted their folders and files in program and share folder. But that of course didn't do anything from the registry.

Apparently I have some orphan files there from Symantic. I did lots of searching on deleting and only came up with what I have done so far.

Unless there was another version of Norton on my computer that I wasn't aware of. Or the fact that others never had come across a problem with older programs after they did the Norton removal. I don't really know! But I used the Rnav and the others for NAV 2000 - 2003 & NIS up to 2004. As that was how Norton had it. I only had NAV 2000 and/or 2001 then switched to NIS 2002 - 2004. So I did what they said and started with the 2000 and went upward from there until I hit 2004.

I'm sure that once Norton is finally out of this computer that the avast will be fine. Everybody that I know that has it says it works great. Of course I know I'll have to delete avast from my computer and then download again and install it after all Norton is out.

So one question with Avast on uninstalling do I just go into the control panel and remove it and that is it? Thought I double check this part so no more problems? Like to do things right and I don't know too much about computers!

SP2 I did send away for the CD they have being that it's way too long for downloading. Though would like to have a working anti virus now of course and that will mean to get totally Norton out of my system.

Thanks!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2005, 05:23:34 PM »
Again, no need to worry brokenpcs  :)

We are here and whatever you need just ask. Someone is always ready to help you.

Yes, just go to uninstall in control panel and avast! will be completely uninstalled, but also you can use avast! uninstal utility (much better) and then you'll be 100% sure nothing's left... anyway, avast! is not even one tenth intrusive like stupid Norton is... so no need to worry at all...

Uninstall it, and then make sure Norton is out od your way totally... reinstall avast! from the scratch and then you should be fine.

avast! uninstall utility can be found in here:

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html

Just follow those simple instructions...  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 05:33:39 PM »
Norton is worse than a virus to get rid of, the add remove programs leaves so much behind like those registry keys which conflict with any AV installed after.

You won't need to download avast again if you saved the file to your HDD. Once you have purged Norton, as far as an avast uninstall use the standard add remove programs, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

As mentioned SP2 is essential closing many exploits and has added security enhancements, it also allows you to get the latest IE 6 SP2 update, which further improves your security. See if a friend with broadband access can download the full SP2 upgrade (about 266MB) and burn it to a CD for you.

brokenpcs

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 05:44:42 PM »
First, you should have aswMonVd.dll in all those registry keys. This is related to 16bit subsystem.
Do you use any other program of Symantec or not? I can guide you in both situations.

The entry for s32evnt1.dll will be, for sure, a problem.
This was, two years ago, my first question in avast forums. Symantec make a stupid thing on letting two groups of zeros into that key. It's stupid, it will just ignore any other driver installation. To avoid conflicts it does this... it is not automatically removed, it's really stupid...

Nope I do not see the aswMonVd.dll  in any of those settings under the registry. Double checked too. Just:
Default  Reg_SZ (Value not set)

That's the order as well.

Now I did try to take out  s32evnt1.dll  as I read to do after I made sure I had the registry backup or at least that file. Though I also made a restore point.

When I deleted it from the vdd and restarted things seemed to be find as it was with it. So checked my old program only to have another error message:

16 bit Win Subsystem
System\Curent Control Setting\Control\Virtual device Drivers. VDD. Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid close or ignore.

So I just restored my system back to the original error message in order to start from scratch. Now I get that s32evnt1.dll error message again.

I do not use any Symantic at all the only thing that I did use after the preinstalled NAV was the NIS upto last year version 2004. When I heard about avast I thought great wouldn't have to deal with Symantic any more.

I would appreciate your help in guiding me through all of this. As I said I'm no export just a beginner. Thanks!

brokenpcs

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2005, 05:57:45 PM »

avast! uninstall utility can be found in here:

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html

Thanks! I will go ahead and download this so I could have avast completely out. As I read it not to put it into my download folder just on desktop which is fine.  ;D

Heck I think I just figured out how to do those quote right.  ;D See even the forum taught me somethng.  :)

I did another check into my registry and looked under the software folder. Found Symantic folder! So should I delete that whole folder in order to get rid of Symantic once and for all?

Never go back with Norton that's forsure! What a piece of work they just don't want anybody to leave their products.  :'(

Again thanks!