Author Topic: Testing  (Read 13119 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Testing
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2005, 06:04:59 PM »

avast! uninstall utility can be found in here:

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html

Thanks! I will go ahead and download this so I could have avast completely out. As I read it not to put it into my download folder just on desktop which is fine.  ;D

It doesn't matter where will you download it, it just says so in the tutorial... it is just because of all those newbies that are not that computer literate, and are not comfortable with browsing their folders. This is the easiest possible solution to download everything on your desktop. I personally never ever do that. I always downlaod everything in my DOWNLOAD_ITEMS folder.  ;)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2005, 06:06:44 PM »
I did another check into my registry and looked under the software folder. Found Symantic folder! So should I delete that whole folder in order to get rid of Symantic once and for all?

You can erase it, but that doesn't mean everything will be gonne once for all... it could be many other leftovers somewhere else under some other names... it doesn't necessary have to be Symantec, or Norton words...

Also, playing with Windows registry is not that I would recommend to someone who is not that comfortable with editing it... you can do much more damage to your system than you think. You can even disable your system from booting, so be very carefull when you are editing your registry... that's why you have to use those uninstall tools.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 06:08:28 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

brokenpcs

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2005, 07:04:27 PM »

You can erase it, but that doesn't mean everything will be gone once for all... it could be many other leftovers somewhere else under some other names... it doesn't necessary have to be Symantec, or Norton words...

Oh boy now what then! If they don't just use Symantec or Norton then how could one get rid of this crap of theirs. Yes I do understand what you are saying about using the uninstall tools. But now I do not know what version is left on my computer. When in registry I am sure one cannot find such a thing. Don't what to play around of course. I only do the things that I know should be and was given the complete steps for it.

Wonder would a registry cleaner be in my best interest so it would get rid of those files and folders? If so what could one recommend for a newbie?

I do want all of Symantic out of course!

Again thank you for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2005, 08:00:40 PM »
About aswMonVd.dll and s32evnt1.dll in registry keys, see this very old thread about me:

How to NOT solve the problem: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=259.msg3478#msg3478
How to SOLVE it: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=738.msg3628#msg3628

I was introducing my 1st post here in avast! forums with the same problem:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=707.msg3417#msg3417
The best things in life are free.

brokenpcs

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2005, 08:46:52 PM »
About aswMonVd.dll and s32evnt1.dll in registry keys, see this very old thread about me:
How to SOLVE it: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=738.msg3628#msg3628

I read the How to solve this and it sounds like that is my problem too. Being I do not see aswMonVd.dll but see s 32evnt1.dll.

The solution was manually editing two Registry keys (apparently corrupted by Norton Anti-Virus Removal Utility):

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
   HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

Now my question when going into those folders I do not see what you are talking about with the
  string,0,string,0,string,0,...,0,0
  OR
 But in my case it looks that some idiotic program (probably Symantec?) did:
   string,0,0,string,0,string,0,0

Would this set of string O be in another folder?

All I have in the those two files is:
Default REG_SZ (Value Not Set)

In the other folder under VDD along with the default as above is:
Reg_Multi_SZ C:\Progra~1\Symantec\s32evnt1.dll

So now what do I do to solve this problem of mine? Sorry I have so many questions and don't understand much about the insides of the computer.
I also never use the DO's in win XP so I wouldn't even understand what I am doing there! Sorry! I do appreciate all your help and Thanks!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2005, 10:21:08 PM »
Take care you haven't got any other Symantec product as they use its live update, I have Winfax Pro which is owned by Symantec, so there might be something using it, check what is in the contents of the reg key.

Back it up, e.g. export (save) the key before you ever delete it, you can reverse your action, with a simple delete you can't.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 11:57:38 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2005, 01:10:58 AM »
Brokenpcs, maybe it's better use RegistrarLite to manage the Registry.
It's a freeware and can be found here: http://www.resplendence.com/

Maybe if you go there, delete the 'end' of the s32evnt1.dll line and save, it will appear the 'hidden' avast! entry automatically.
If not, highlight the s32evnt1.dll line and copy it, enter the short path for the aswMonVd.dll BEFORE the s32evnt1.dll line.

brokenpcs

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2005, 03:08:52 AM »
I found Symantic site where they finally given the Manual uninstall for at least NAV. I figure being the only things that I had of Symantic was NAV and NIS that this will work for me.

Well at least I am hoping so. They gave a lot of subkeys to go into and delete the norton products as well as to delete the symantec folder if one isn't using any other products. I do not believe so. I think most of my programs are from Microsoft and the preinstalled were from HP and ArchSoftware.

Then at the end of all those subkeys as an option that most of the products should be deleted no trace however there may be a little but no impact on how the computer operates. But one could go to find in the registry and search Norton Anti Virus and delete all entries as well as Symantic and delete those too. (though as I stated above this was only for NAV. But this should work for me too. What do you think? Since I now have all the subkeys to look into and check.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2005, 03:22:27 AM »
I found Symantic site where they finally given the Manual uninstall for at least NAV.
You can use Symantec standalone applications to uninstall NAV.
That should do the job... if not, post again.

brokenpcs

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2005, 05:45:21 PM »
Just wanted to let everybody know that I got the whole two issues fixed. The first issue was my older programs getting an error message with the s32evnt1.dll in the VDD well that needed to be deleted from the registry but didn't fix the problem for that gave me another error! That's when I found that aswMonVD.dll wasn't in the VDD folder in the registry. Therefore something was still wrong.

Symantec. For those that may have the same problem(s) here was my long steps:

Using the Symantec Manually Remove (which is very hard to find on their site for it's old and it stated just for NAV however this works for all the Norton / Symantec products. Though I didn't have some in these subkeys however did find them in other places using edit find.
First backup registry, Export it was how I did this and put it on a CD-R. Then open registry.
Navigate to all these subkeys listed:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\NortonAntivirus. Press Delete
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\NortonAntivirus
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
If NAV is the only Symantec product on your computer, then delete the entire Symantec subkey.

Being that I don't have any Symantec products that I use then this should be OK to delete. That is the Symantec subkey not the software! If you have other Symantec products that you use you would have to delete just the NAV.

If you do not have Norton Utilities or Norton System Works installed, delete the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec\Norton Rescue
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Shared Technology\LiveReg\Apps
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
12. In the right pane, delete the following values:
NAV DefAlert
Norton eMail Protect
Norton Auto-Protect
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Norton AntiVirus
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Norton Rescue

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD
15. Do one of the following:
If Norton AntiVirus is the only Symantec program on the computer, then delete both the NAVAP and Symevnt subkeys.
If Norton AntiVirus is not the only Symantec product installed, then delete the NAVAP subkey only.

Exit the Registry Editor.

I exit and restarted so that all those were set. Still had some errors with older installing programs and Avast wasn't there in the VDD. Next step needed to be taken place. This was not an option for me.
16. (Optional) Most NAV entries are now removed from the registry, although some traces of it still remain. These traces have little, if any, impact on how your computer operates, and it is not necessary to remove them. If you feel confident about editing the registry, and you want to remove as many traces as possible, then continue with the following steps:

. Click the Edit menu, and then click Find.
. Search for Norton then delete all entries.
Being I don't use other Symantec products deleting all of Norton and then go back into edit find and delete all of Symantec. And it was scary being that some came up as (a) or (name) file but they were highlighted which told me go ahead. But I remembered I was told this in the first place. So the find key was really the best way to clear it all. And I backed up my registry as well as have a system restore point just in case.

After all that was done I uninstalled Avast using their uninstall tool. This cleared it all! Rebooted so the settings were set and then Installed once again. Rebooted again and then went into the registry. And I am so pleased for the VDD C:\Program files\Avast\aswMonVD.dll is there.

Oh and one other thing after all this I checked with one of my older programs to install (Konica picture show) and that too installed and was able to see the photos! This too cleared the error message.

Therefore the conclusion of this was that Norton products were screwing up not only the Avast but Microsofts capability to install older programs on Win XP. Well especially when you start to uninstall their products even when using their removal tools.

Thank you all for your help! Now everything should be working right and I should be able to send the clear message from avast. That I haven't checked into yet just wanted to let everybody know that I see AswMonVD.dill in the registry. And I also did a boot scan just to make sure that there wasn't any virus that was hidden. Thanks again!   

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2005, 05:55:53 PM »
I am glad you found a solution for your problems and I am soooooo happy when I see someone happy like you are right now.

I'm sure your problem will help some other people as well... so please never ever say again that you are ignorant or computer newbie, 'cause you're not. You were unbelievable patient and even more unbelievable calm while we tried to help you. At the end, you're the one that has 100% of power to solve that problem. We are here just to give our suggestions and since we are not phisically there, we can not do much about it... computers are very complex things, so you can always have much, much more than just one problem dealing with...

Again, thanks for informing us, that's very kind of you, and I'm sure it will help a lot of other people with similar problems out there. Some people just come here and ask, and when we try to help them, they just disappear... no good from that. You are wonderful example on how to behave in these forums !

A way to go !

Regards !
Sasha

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2005, 08:21:56 PM »
Well done for sticking with it, glad we could help.
A belated welcome to the forums and the avast family.

Therefore the conclusion of this was that Norton products were screwing up not only the Avast but Microsofts capability to install older programs on Win XP. Well especially when you start to uninstall their products even when using their removal tools.
This for me was never in doubt as you have found Norton is harder to get rid of than a virus.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2005, 01:00:10 AM »
This was my first conclusion on avast! forums  ;)
It was a stupidity... I though Symantec solved this trouble in new versions of NAV.

Thank you all for your help! Now everything should be working right and I should be able to send the clear message from avast. That I haven't checked into yet just wanted to let everybody know that I see AswMonVD.dill in the registry. And I also did a boot scan just to make sure that there wasn't any virus that was hidden. Thanks again!
I'm proud of your hability to do this. Welcome to avast! safeland  ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2005, 01:09:15 AM »
Being of a suspicious nature I'm not sure that this tardy NAV uninstall routine is a marketing ploy so those who defect could well experience problems with their new AV, abandon that and go back to NAV ;D ;D

Seriously though, what incentive is there for them to improve the uninstall if they have already lost the customer, what is in it for them, nothing.

They must be able to log web page activity on the Manual Uninstall info pages and those who download the rNAV2003 to see that they have a problem with the uninstall routine?

brokenpcs

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2005, 07:29:56 PM »

I'm sure your problem will help some other people as well... so please never ever say again that you are ignorant or computer newbie, 'cause you're not. You were unbelievable patient and even more unbelievable calm while we tried to help you. At the end, you're the one that has 100% of power to solve that problem. We are here just to give our suggestions and since we are not phisically there, we can not do much about it... computers are very complex things, so you can always have much, much more than just one problem dealing with...

Again, thanks for informing us, that's very kind of you, and I'm sure it will help a lot of other people with similar problems out there. Some people just come here and ask, and when we try to help them, they just disappear... no good from that. You are wonderful example on how to behave in these forums !

This was my first conclusion on avast! forums  ;)
It was a stupidity... I though Symantec solved this trouble in new versions of NAV.

Thanks for the welcome and of course the help too. Yes it is hard to figure out what maybe causing the problem or if there are more then one problem to deal with. That is why it is always good to listen to all suggestions even download them so you could try one or a combination of them but always remember your steps as you go. Somebody told me I should just reinstall Windows and start from scratch. But I felt that should only be my last resort not to mention that I had a preinstall NAV so I don't think it would have helped solve it. (recovery disks due to preinstall windows).

That is why it took me most of the day in figuring out what I should or shouldn't do and what to do first.  :) Sometimes it could be so simple that we miss it all together.  ;) This is why I put my steps down for I feel it could help somebody else as well and they wouldn't have to do so much searching.

And yes I am tickle pink with joy to be able to fix my own computer problem. Though being calm well you couldn't see me pulling out my hair trying to figure out how to fix it!  ;D

Oh it would be nice if Symantec fixes the problem though I think their products are the hardest to get rid of. I've never had any problems (or that I am aware of) from other product uninstalling even using their removal tools.

Thanks for the confidence! It's nice to be able to have the support for the product your using. Heck that was one of the reasons I decided to give Avast a try was what I saw in this forum and all the help everybody gives! That's what we need a good product is only as good as the support team when one is looking for some help big or small!