Author Topic: Grime fighter says I either don't have windows or my drive is encrypted  (Read 3983 times)

REDACTED

Well I do have windows (8) and/or you drive is encrypted, If it is, I didn't do it.

The program halts the operation and boots me back into  "windows" and consequently nothing happens.

Probably just a setting or something.  Anyone know what I need to do.

Thanks

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Grime fighter says I either don't have windows or my drive is encrypted
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »
It's possible, GrimeFighter found some incompatibility and aborts running.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 03:14:47 AM »
and.......what do I do to correct this problem so I can use my software?

I spoke to someone in tech support and she immediately went after my computer "errors" and told me I would need to have a technician to look at it to make the Grimefighter software work.  I find this hard to believe judging by the posts I've been reading about this software.  I have windows 8 on a computer that is only about 8 months old.  It runs great.  I bought this software to keep it running that way, it was clear she was more interested in deflection and irritating me to make me go away than she was in helping.  She said she was going to send a report to me via email but I never received it.

AS far as I am concerned this is pretty typical IT support attitude, arrogance and poor social skills.  I asked for a solution and got a pile of criticism.  If anyone knows how to actually fix this I 'll give theri suggestions a try before I start asking for my money back.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 04:25:53 AM »
Is this the original installation of windows?
On what drive is it installed?
Did you change any hardware?
Is the system a multiboot one?
Anny error(s) in device manager?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 02:15:17 AM »
yes
C:/
upgrade video card but that is an irrelevant and misleading question anyway isn't it?
nope
none.

The fact is that grimefighter is a seriously flawed product according to the posts. should have done my homework I suppose.  I've asked for my money back.

The little tech girl that attacked me last night still hasn't sent a report.  Waiting for that still, said she was emailing it to me.

So anyone actually have a solution to offer, or just fishing for more details about my supposedly broken computer?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 04:21:58 AM »
upgrade video card but that is an irrelevant and misleading question anyway isn't it?
No it isn't. Keep in mind that we can't see/know your system. So you will have to provide details that can be relevant to the problem.

Forget that "tech girl", it is just a third party call center and they are very well known for trying to get your money and not exactly to be helpful/friendly to say the least.

Do you have a raid setup or using a ssd?

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 02:34:02 PM »
Hi rdougo,

GrimeFighter, since it does a very thorough scan and clean of your PC, takes a defensive attitude toward making any changes that might negatively affect the operation of your PC.  When it recognizes something that might not fit that standard "profile" of a PC, it aborts.

In this case I think the best option for you is to request a refund.

Just one additional point, we will be adding a function to the initial scan for grime we do which also check the hardware profile on the PC, again taking a defensive posture.  If we find anything during that check then we won't even offer GrimeFighter for purchase. 

This function will be rolled out in late January.  This should help put a stop to the issue as it stands now, where users purchase the product only to find out it won't work on their PC.  We realize this creates a poor user experience and definitely apologize to you for that.