Author Topic: "find computers" task does not find all clients  (Read 6608 times)

kepa

"find computers" task does not find all clients
« on: September 04, 2005, 03:51:06 PM »
hi all,

we have problems detecting clients on the network with the "find computers" task in ADNM. The task finds only certain computers but not all. Thus, we are unable to do avast client installations from the ADNM.

additional infos:
- we have 3 vlans defined on our network: 1 for the servers and 2 for clients in different locations
- when I browse the network neighbourhood on the ADNM server, I see only the computers within the "server vlan"
- I am able to browse/connect to clients in any vlan with "net view \\computer" or via unc path (\\computer\share)
- When I run the "find computers" task, it detects all the computers within the same vlan but no others

My 2 questions are:

1. Is there a way to change the way how the ADNM detects clients or to add clients to the adnm console manually? Or does someone know how to fix the browsing issue?
2. Is there a way to install the avast agent manually on the client with the settings that are needed to connect to the ADNM server and to finish the installation?

thanks for any hints,
pat

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: "find computers" task does not find all clients
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 10:10:45 PM »
1. The discovery task can generally only detect machines that show up in the Network Neighbourhood folder. However, I'm not sure how to help you to troubleshoot your problem - that is, I'm not sure what the exact algorithm Windows uses to display this folder is.

2. Yes, sure. E.g. create a MSI package and use it to install the clients. Either manually (by running the MSI file on the client machines) or using Group Policy (or other tool capable of remote-installing MSI packages, such as Microsoft SMS).

Creation of the MSI package is one mode of operation of the Deployment Tasks.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.