Author Topic: Win32:Mobogenie-O[Adw]  (Read 20458 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Win32:Mobogenie-O[Adw]
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
Hmm you say windows 8.1 installed  ?

REDACTED

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »
Yep...and I was in the shower, so I don't know if it interrupted it or not

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2014, 08:37:35 PM »
The thing is 8.1 is virtually a revamp of the entire operating system. 

Avast should no longer detect anything as the quarantine folders have now been deleted

A defrag may well help with the speed due to the number of files 8.1 updated

REDACTED

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2014, 06:20:55 PM »
Just finished a boot scan and no issues remained. Machine still seems a little slow, but that's probably due to it being a weak, cheap, P.O.S.!!   ;)

Thanks, guys!!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2014, 07:08:34 PM »
Well if you have a spare half hour you could use MS xboot to speed things up a tad

REDACTED

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2014, 08:01:25 PM »
Searching even on the MS site, different programs come back, and some look relative to making a boot disc, which doesn't sound like what you're talking about, or is it?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2014, 08:30:27 PM »
Nope it is a tool within MS developers kit that optimises the boot layout for drivers, then remembers where they went so on subsequent defrags they will be located there. 

I will give the instructions so that you can use it if you wish

Download the SDK web installer from here
Run the installer and select the following:

Leave the location to default

Windows Performance Toolkit 

You must reboot on completion of the install

After reboot set aside about 30 minutes when you will not need the computer

When ready start an elevated command prompt :

Go Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator

Then copy and paste the following command into the black box :

xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot

Now your PC will be restarted 6 times. With a two minute pause before the tool runs after the desktop loads
After the second reboot the MS defragmentation program is running and is placing the files into an optimized layout, so that Windows will boot up faster
The last Reboots are training of readyBoot. After the training is finished, you'll notice a huge improvement in startup.

Readyboot

The logical prefetching described above is used when the system has less than 512MB of memory. If the system has 700MB or more then an in-RAM cache is used to further optimize the boot process (it’s not clear from the book whether or not this ReadyBoot cache completely replaces the logical prefetching approach or just builds on it, my assumption is that both work together).
After each boot the system generates a boot caching plan for the next boot using file trace information from up to the five previous boots which contains details of which files were accessed and where on the disk they were located. These traces are stored as .fx files in the

REDACTED

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2014, 10:56:40 PM »
Well, it got through maybe three restarts, I think it was, and the little window saying "preparing system" popped up, and it's been there for over an hour, doing nothing else.

Can I reboot and start over, or will it being midstream cause a problem? Also, I left an external hard drive and a stick plugged in, assuming that at least the drive would benefit, as it contained a backup from an earlier laptop.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2014, 11:22:05 PM »
If it is the second restart then this is where all the work takes place as the drive is defragmented and drivers are re-positioned.  So if the drive is in a real mess then it may take a while

Runs 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 usually take about two minutes after the tool is elevated

REDACTED

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2014, 11:37:48 PM »
interesting. I have no doubt it was on at least the 3rd or the 4th. However I just went ahead and clicked on something and it rebooted and it went straight to number 2. But like I say I know it gone through three if not four earlier.

And is there any problem with the fact that I've got the external hard drive and a memory stick plugged in? also a quick note on the defrag, I did the systems defrag earlier today, and it only showed it being 6% needing to be defrag and that it was perfect when it's finished. But the thing is definitely running very very slow. So could there be a conflict between what these systems defrag program says in with this one? Cuz it is taking this long that would indicate obviously it's really f***** up, and that the Computers defrag program doesn't know what it's talking about!

and can I use it while it's doing this? If it really is working, and its going to take 3 hours I just soon let it do it while I'm asleep.

REDACTED

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »
Well, it got finally through it all after about 6 hours, and to be honest, it's running a lot slower than when I first did the boot scan where I discovered the mobogenie. my charter inet is consistent, so I really don't get it. Is there something about windows 8.1 that's slower?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2014, 04:10:33 PM »
Is it running slower whilst booting or when it is in windows and running programmes

REDACTED

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2014, 07:54:35 PM »
Both. It takes 4-5 minutes to fully reboot without a lot of add ons, and opening an app or a link takes close to a minute. Reminds me of clicking a link that has a lot of ad support on it. once I'm in an app or a link, it seems to go normally.

REDACTED

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2014, 11:00:18 PM »
I need to take back what I said about it working OK once a link has fully opened up...not the case...reminds me of dial-up...even just now logging in here, I typed my email in the login, but it took 3-4 seconds for it to appear. Moving around in a site is painfully slow. I didn't have this (a borrowed machine) all that long before the mobogenie showed up, but really don't remember it being that slow, though I understand it's a low end machine - HP 2000. I've re-run chameleon, rootkit, avast boot scan and superantispyware and all show up clean.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »
Are you emptying the temp files routinely as low end machines will find that hard to cope with

Clear Cache/Temp Files
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.  Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.