Author Topic: Help! Avast made my boot halt!  (Read 10069 times)

Yamaki

Help! Avast made my boot halt!
« on: September 04, 2005, 05:23:14 PM »
Alright, I just installed Avast Home on my desktop, since I heard it was so great. It's also installed on the laptop I'm using right now, and working smoothly. When I first installed it on my desktop, I rebooted because there was a virus in memory. Now windows boots to my BootSkins screen and then just goes black. I don't know what's happening. I'm using windows 2000 Professional on my desktop. Is it a possibility that BootSkins is messing it up?

I can't get into safemode because a stupid virus has messed it up.

Also, I currently have Norton Antivirus 2004 and Avast home installed.

Anything that can fix this?

Thanks!

-Yamaki

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Help! Avast made my boot halt!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 05:38:54 PM »
One of the problems is that Avast and Norton are not working together.
Choose which one you want to keep and remove the other.

Things like bootskin often messes with Windows system files and can cause all kind of problems.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 05:41:41 PM »
Having two resident scanners is a recipe for conflict and may well causing this problem. However I haven't used either w2k or bootskins.

How/what has a virus messed up to stop you getting into safe mode?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Yamaki

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 05:45:25 PM »
I'm not sure what virus it is, but whenever I try to go into safemode I get an IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop screen, so...yeah.

Would there be any way to bypass my problems or uninstall through cmd or something?

Thanks for all of your help so far!

-Yamaki

Yamaki

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 06:04:15 PM »
Okay, I got into command prompt, but it won't let me access my program files directory! It says access denied even if I try cd PROGRA~1.

Help! D:

-Yamaki

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 08:11:04 PM »
Yamaki, problem is not on BootScreens but, God, why did you install NAV and avast at the same time in your computer???  :(
You can't uninstall avast! by command line (dos mode). You'll need to get access to the Registry, NTFS read/write for DOS program,, etc.

But, strange, safe mode give you a BSOD (IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop screen)...
Can you go to C:\WINNT\CONFIG.NT file and list the contents?
Can you edit this file (or at least, copy to a floppy, edit it and put them back there?
If so, try to see at the bottom, after the comments the 'active' lines such these ones:

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40
device=x:\short_path_to_avast4\aswmonds.sys

If you add a REM before the line:

REM device=x:\short_path_to_avast4\aswmonds.sys

Boot, will it solve the incompatibility?
The best things in life are free.

Yamaki

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 10:11:33 PM »
WINNT/CONFIG.NT... Hmm...

I don't have that file! O_O

EDIT: Even so, for some reason I can't copy the file onto a floppy (access denied) OR edit it in the RC. Gah!

-Yamaki
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 10:13:12 PM by Yamaki »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 10:24:52 PM »
I'm not sure what virus it is, but whenever I try to go into safemode I get an IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop screen, so...yeah.
No this is more associated with a bad driver or hardware issue. I had this only a couple of days ago, I will ignore it unless it becomes habit forming.

If this is happening every time you boot, it may be hardware, have you installed any new hardware or drivers recently?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Yamaki

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 10:35:17 PM »
No this is more associated with a bad driver or hardware issue. I had this only a couple of days ago, I will ignore it unless it becomes habit forming.

If this is happening every time you boot, it may be hardware, have you installed any new hardware or drivers recently?

Nope. Nothing new.

-Yamaki

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 12:21:14 AM »
These Stop error screens like the one you got also have a code and this one is usually 0x0000000A, a google search for this returns lots of hits, but it is extremely difficult to resolve/track them as even the information on the MS site is very hard to understand.

So finding the exact fault is very difficult hence why I tend to ignore them as one off blips.

When I got the same error I had nothing new either, so the only other thing brought out in the MS info is a driver either righting or reading from a memory address that isn't there. The trouble is there is nothing to help identify which driver or what to do even if you do find it.

Sorry I'm out of ideas.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 02:52:54 AM »
WINNT/CONFIG.NT... Hmm... I don't have that file! O_O
Sorry, my fault:
C:\Windows\System32\Config.nt in Windows XP
C:\Winnt\System32\Config.nt in Windows 2k (I suppose)
The best things in life are free.

Yamaki

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 04:51:41 PM »
WINNT/CONFIG.NT... Hmm... I don't have that file! O_O
Sorry, my fault:
C:\Windows\System32\Config.nt in Windows XP
C:\Winnt\System32\Config.nt in Windows 2k (I suppose)

Nope. Nothing. x.x;;

Still not resolved!

-Yamaki

thedon57

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 06:28:20 PM »

Would there be any way to bypass my problems or uninstall through cmd or something?

Hi this is what exactly the above means it might help you with your problem.

A kernal-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location without authorization. This STOP error is typically caused by faulty or incompatible hardware or software. The name of the offending device driver often appears in the STOP error and can provide an important clue to solving the problem.

If the error message points to a specific device or category of devices, try removing or replacing devices in that category.
If this STOP error appears during Setup, suspect an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup program.

Hope this helps you.

Yamaki

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 07:18:29 PM »

Hi this is what exactly the above means it might help you with your problem.

A kernal-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location without authorization. This STOP error is typically caused by faulty or incompatible hardware or software. The name of the offending device driver often appears in the STOP error and can provide an important clue to solving the problem.

If the error message points to a specific device or category of devices, try removing or replacing devices in that category.
If this STOP error appears during Setup, suspect an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup program.

Hope this helps you.

Oi. Unfortunately, it doesn't list the cause of the STOP error in the error itself.

Problem still unresolved.

-Yamaki

Yamaki

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 12:43:05 AM »
Bumpage x.x.

*Still not resolved*

-Yamaki