Author Topic: Help! Avast made my boot halt!  (Read 10068 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Help! Avast made my boot halt!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2005, 12:57:10 AM »
Well, it won't be easy (if possible) to solve your problem.
You installed two antivirus at the same time into Windows 2k. Obviously, it will crash.
You need to get acess through DOS to registry files (BART CD from Alwil provides it, or boot into DOS and use NTFS for DOS application, then a registry editor for DOS).
Do you have any Registry backup (with ERUNT tool, for instance)?
Do you have an image of your system?

If not... maybe you'll have to consider reformat  :'(
The best things in life are free.

thedon57

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2005, 01:08:43 AM »
Hi is it xp or 2000 you are having trouble with also any other error message would help, we are trying to help you but need time and more info.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2005, 01:21:35 AM »
Right I tried my friend Google and found something along the same lines, someone who installed AVG when they already had McAfee and got the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error. There is a lot on that forum thread, I haven't read it all I will leave that up to you to see if there is a solution there.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13042
Let us know if this is the way to go.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Skram0

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2005, 07:08:31 AM »
I've recently been getting the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop: 0x0000000A message myself. Maybe within the last month or so. What's even stranger is that I've seen it on 3 different computers here at home. Two desktops and 1 laptop. None of them have any additional virus programs or firewalls. All three are WinXP SP2 with latest updates and patches.

The laptop showed the message about 30 minutes after I had updated from version 4.6.623 to version 4.6.691. It's a friend's laptop, and I'm pretty sure they would have told me if they saw BSODs while using 623. The other two desktops have version 4.6.691, and it seems they started showing the STOP 0x0000000A message around the time they were updated to 691.

Ever since I've uninstalled Avast from one desktop, and downgraded to version 623 on the other, the BSODs have subsided.

When I started getting the errors on the first desktop I thought maybe something was failing like memory. Then I found it odd it was happening on another desktop around the same time. Now I get a laptop I'm working on which isn't mine and all I do is update from 623 to 691 and I get the same exact 0x0000000A message, now I know it ain't no hardware failing. Anyone know what's going on here? I see these errors have been haunting some since the version 4.5 days.

thedon57

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 09:32:07 AM »
STOP 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

A kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location without authorization. This STOP error is typically caused by faulty or incompatible hardware or software. The name of the offending device driver often appears in the STOP error and can provide an important clue to solving the problem.

If the error message points to a specific device or category of devices, try removing or replacing devices in that category. If this STOP error appears during Setup, suspect an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup program.

You can find more information if you go to to help and support and type the above number in.

galooma

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 12:46:10 PM »
Can i suggest if anyone is getting crashes that they set their windows to generate minidump files for Avast to analyse.  :) Those that have them already should send them to VLK along with a brief explanation .

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 06:34:58 PM »
Can i suggest if anyone is getting crashes that they set their windows to generate minidump files for Avast to analyse.  :) Those that have them already should send them to VLK along with a brief explanation .

If so, please, go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis.
Better if you can compress (zip) them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  ;)

Send an email to any of these addresses:
vlk (at) avast.com
rypacek (at) asw.cz

Or upload to the any of these anonymous ftp servers:
ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming
ftp://www2.asw.cz/incoming

Eddy's links for minidump issues:
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4900/rh4981.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx
The best things in life are free.