Author Topic: Scheduler  (Read 8259 times)

Dirkuschka

Scheduler
« on: October 31, 2003, 10:48:44 AM »
Hello,

I use Avast4 Pro (test) with WinXP and two users. One for work and one for the admin.

How can I configure a schedule task to scan at start up all files? The task should have adminrights and interact with the user. My (normal) user is without adminrights, so I have to start the task as system or admin automatic.

I tried:
I tried it with a schedule time at night. But if I start my PC later than avast don`t ask me if I want to make the task now.
I tried it with the windows scheduler and ashcmd, but I don`t get an interaction, when a virus is found. The only way is with the command /p=2 /r="report" without interaction. But than I have to start the logfile manually.

Thanks a lot

Dirk

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Scheduler
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 03:36:58 AM »
Maybe you will have to use Scheduled Task of Windows with RUNAS command to start the quick scanner (ashQuick.exe).

Try to configure the avast! task at the administrator, logoff, login as the limited user and see if it starts...

If I could thought another solution, I'll post it...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Dirkuschka

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 12:15:27 PM »
Hello,

thanks for the idea, but it is not working the way I need. I need an information about the results of the scan or an alert. If I run a task as admin with the scheduler from windows than I can`t see what happend.

I post a new message at the board, because I try to get a ICQ message with the alert from avast.

Best regards

Dirk

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 12:28:53 PM »
Maybe you will have to use Scheduled Task of Windows with RUNAS command to start the quick scanner (ashQuick.exe).

Try to configure the avast! task at the administrator, logoff, login as the limited user and see if it starts...

If I could thought another solution, I'll post it...  ;)

I do have the same configuration - an administrator and a simple user - and I will do some tests and post them. See you round.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 02:11:15 AM »
I asked kubecj about this thread. See a related answer here.  ;)

doggeral

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 10:59:29 AM »
If you log on with admin rights and schedule the desired task windows is supposed require scheduled tasks to run in all user profiles at the designated time unless you dig deeper and make it not do so.  Task may not show up in the task scheduler of the regular user or even in the application accessing the task scheduler and this is something that will be fixed in XP SP2 unless the individual release has been made and I missed it.  

No matter in either situation it doesnt matter the tasks will still run, but may not be displayed as active.

The end result would be the scanner running and it will ask for interaction if a virus is found, but i can't speak to it giving the ok message, because I have all my machines simply kill the dialog if nothing is wrong.  Tested with eicar and all other scanners turned off.  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 10:17:53 PM »
I do have the same configuration - an administrator and a simple user - and I will do some tests and post them. See you round.  ;)

Everything works fine to me in Windows XP, logged as a common user and have a 'scheduled' task (configurated by the administrator into avast Enhanced Interface) running:

* avast! Report
* This file is generated automatically
* Task 'Scan: local disks' used
* Started on Sunday, November 09, 2003 4:20:01 PM

Infected files: 0
Total files: 125034
Total folders: 4220
Total size: 17.2 G

* Task stopped: Sunday, November 09, 2003 5:06:04 PM
* Run-time was 46 minute(s), 3 second(s)

Maybe the access trouble is on the system file. I'm using FAT32 (I get tired of NTFS...). Maybe my results differ a little from doggeral's post... because I'm not talking about Windows' Task Scheduler...

doggeral

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2003, 09:03:52 AM »
Might I be so bold as to ask why you got tired of NTFS?  Its good for me to know since I pretty much tell everyone I advise on XP to use it with the exception of dual booters.  And of course you are more than competent to tell me why which is a plus I almost never see :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 09:04:34 AM by doggeral »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2003, 12:57:14 PM »
Might I be so bold as to ask why you got tired of NTFS?  Its good for me to know since I pretty much tell everyone I advise on XP to use it with the exception of dual booters.  And of course you are more than competent to tell me why which is a plus I almost never see :)

File deletion troubles, IIS service, disk fragmentation, dual boot system, access through DOS boot  are some of the disavantages of NTFS. Of course, there are lot of advantages: security, privacy, etc.
For a Home computer, single user, I think (it´s just my oppinion) that FAT32 is more stable and reliable than NTFS.

In this particular thread, NTFS could be the reason for access denying of avast task (which could not reach some folders, or files...). I'm not an expert on it but that was just a shot in the dark...  ;)

Dirkuschka

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 08:28:39 AM »
Hello,

the problem is not, that I can`t see the task at the scheduler from WinXP. The task works, or better it starts to scan.  My problem is that I don`t get a message when a virus is found for an interactive choice what to do.

I don`t think that it happens with the NTFS. It is a question if the engine and the scheduler starts with adminrights or not.

The only way I found for me is to work with an automatic action (repair, move to chest) and save the report direkt on the desktop of the user without adminrights.

Best regards

Dirk

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 12:09:09 PM »
Hello,

the problem is not, that I can`t see the task at the scheduler from WinXP. The task works, or better it starts to scan.  My problem is that I don`t get a message when a virus is found for an interactive choice what to do.

I don`t think that it happens with the NTFS. It is a question if the engine and the scheduler starts with adminrights or not.

The only way I found for me is to work with an automatic action (repair, move to chest) and save the report direkt on the desktop of the user without adminrights.

Best regards

Dirk

I was talking about avast scheduled tasks and not Windows Tasks. But, anyway, I got your point. I do not receive any message because my system is clean (Thanks God!). I'll try to make a test with eicar.com test virus file and see what happens at 'Interactive' option. Wait for the results...  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 03:34:35 AM »
Maybe Vlk has something to tell us (see this forum).  ;)