Author Topic: DeepScreen Mode crashes Inno Setup installers!!  (Read 6754 times)

REDACTED

DeepScreen Mode crashes Inno Setup installers!!
« on: July 07, 2014, 02:58:12 AM »
Hi,
I have noticed that the DeepScreen mode (which is enabled by default) crashes inno setup installers.
To reproduce this create a dummy installer using inno setup: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

Exact misbehaviour:
The installer takes a bit longer to start than normal. After a few seconds the installer will close and start again.
When I click on "cancel" before the crash, the installer closes but also starts again!

Could you please fix this? Inno setup is one of the most spread installers and should work flawlessly!

Thanks in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: DeepScreen Mode crashes Inno Setup installers!!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 03:07:59 AM »
The behavior observed is "normal", I mean, the executable is started, halted by Deep Screen for further analysis, continues to run (or restarted).
This particular setup file, maybe, could be problematic. But you shouldn't start it again, avast! will restart the process after Deep Screen scanning takes place.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 03:30:59 PM »
I just created 3 setup files and there was no problem at all with avast (deepscreen) .

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:17:33 PM »
The behavior observed is "normal", I mean, the executable is started, halted by Deep Screen for further analysis, continues to run (or restarted).
This is actually extremely confusing since it happens after like 4 seconds. Also when closing the application in between those 4 seconds the application starts again, and that's really unacceptable.
I have already thought of some issue with my cpu/hardware, memory leak in inno setup, a corrupted system, or whatever and it took me like 2 hours to figure it out. This is unnacceptable for people using my Software and even for me.

So apart from the setup being restarted instead of continued, the second half of the problem is actually that avast doesn't inform the user that it's applying a DeepScreen analysis, as it does for Auto-Sandbox for example.
Since DeepScreen is quite intrusive and enalbed by default, I would suggest to at least pop-up a ballon-tip at the taskbar. Otherwise this can be really confusing. I was already thinking of reinstalling Windows if I hadn't find the cause (simply becasue I thought something is corrupted in my system)....

I just created 3 setup files and there was no problem at all with avast (deepscreen) .
This is weird but thanks for trying! Could you try the exact same code I used? (dummy code):

Code: [Select]
; Script generated by the Inno Setup Script Wizard.
; SEE THE DOCUMENTATION FOR DETAILS ON CREATING INNO SETUP SCRIPT FILES!

#define MyAppName "My Program"
#define MyAppVersion "1.5"
#define MyAppPublisher "My Company, Inc."
#define MyAppURL "http://www.example.com/"
#define MyAppExeName "MyProg.exe"

[Setup]
; NOTE: The value of AppId uniquely identifies this application.
; Do not use the same AppId value in installers for other applications.
; (To generate a new GUID, click Tools | Generate GUID inside the IDE.)
AppId={{08A7E90F-4AC3-4342-8AC2-FE6F73061E12}
AppName={#MyAppName}
AppVersion={#MyAppVersion}
;AppVerName={#MyAppName} {#MyAppVersion}
AppPublisher={#MyAppPublisher}
AppPublisherURL={#MyAppURL}
AppSupportURL={#MyAppURL}
AppUpdatesURL={#MyAppURL}
DefaultDirName={pf}\{#MyAppName}
DefaultGroupName={#MyAppName}
OutputDir=C:\Users\Nuc1eoN\Desktop
OutputBaseFilename=setup
Compression=lzma
SolidCompression=no

[Languages]
Name: "english"; MessagesFile: "compiler:Default.isl"

[Tasks]
Name: "desktopicon"; Description: "{cm:CreateDesktopIcon}"; GroupDescription: "{cm:AdditionalIcons}"; Flags: unchecked

[Files]
Source: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Inno Setup 5\Examples\MyProg.exe"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
; NOTE: Don't use "Flags: ignoreversion" on any shared system files

[Icons]
Name: "{group}\{#MyAppName}"; Filename: "{app}\{#MyAppExeName}"
Name: "{commondesktop}\{#MyAppName}"; Filename: "{app}\{#MyAppExeName}"; Tasks: desktopicon

[Run]
Filename: "{app}\{#MyAppExeName}"; Description: "{cm:LaunchProgram,{#StringChange(MyAppName, '&', '&&')}}"; Flags: nowait postinstall skipifsilent

If you still can't trigger it, please try my compiled executable: https://mega.co.nz/#!DA9GTL4K!pSlLtQVQE90DsOsvm8dSnrZh-k0wzkQgyDcbebXeWg8

I hope you guys will be able to reproduce it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:15:45 AM by nuc »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »
Incredible. I tried it again and suddenly Avast indeed draws a blue line around the setup to inform me that is utilizing deepScreen...

How is that possible, is this a new update?? Or is it just bugged? I have only updated the virus database I think :S

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:16:56 PM »
Incredible. I tried it again and suddenly Avast indeed draws a blue line around the setup to inform me that is utilizing deepScreen...

How is that possible, is this a new update?? Or is it just bugged? I have only updated the virus database I think :S
As a typical user, DeepScreen is not enabled by default.  A user must enable this feature.  But as DeepScreen utilizes the avast! cloud to perform its' work, not surprising that checking back later would remove the detection/block if it is clean.

As you are a developer, running DeepScreen would have to be one of the things one would have to cover.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 01:40:31 AM »
But as DeepScreen utilizes the avast! cloud to perform its' work, not surprising that checking back later would remove the detection/block if it is clean.
Hm that would of course make sense. However DeepScreen actually still analyses my file, but now informs me about it by drawing a blue line bearing the title "DeepScreen".
IMO Avast should by default draw this border.

As a typical user, DeepScreen is not enabled by default. A user must enable this feature.
Well on my system it was enabled by default (didn't even know such function existed).
I also looked at a setup of a friend and it was enabled by default, too...

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:28:14 PM »
I'm now again at creating installers and the same problem occurs. Now I even get an ACCESS VIOLATION! Still, after clicking "Ok" the installer starts.

I reinstalled my Windows and installed Avast! and of cousre DeepScreen was enabled by default.... Can you pls fix this guys? At least make it OFF by default or you cannot be serious about this... I would never even allow such a deep interference into my system, but if someone like it he should have the optiuon to turn it on.

Thanks in Advance

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »
Nothing is broken.
That means there is nothing to fix.
If you don't want deepscreen, just disable it in the settings.

Disabling it by default is like installing a av (or other security software) and not have it enabled by default.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 11:49:58 PM »
Nothing is broken.
If you don't want deepscreen, just disable it in the settings.

Disabling it by default is like installing a av (or other security software) and not have it enabled by default.
As a typical user, DeepScreen is not enabled by default.

Sometimes it's helpful to read a thread before giving a false reply ;)

Nothing is broken.
Sure, I guess it's the desired behaviour that DeepScreen  creates an Acces Violation Error when starting the executable. Avast Quality Software.

Avast is mainly for web security and not for what I already have on my PC. DeepScreen is something nice for being optional.

Thanks for the interest tho!