Author Topic: Avast vs Unblock-US  (Read 3110 times)

REDACTED

Avast vs Unblock-US
« on: December 02, 2014, 05:20:52 AM »
I have a question, please bear with me as I give the situation.

So I use a VPN service called Unblock-US which allows me to view sites dedicated to other areas of the globe (Netflix US, UK, etc., BBC iPlayer). But recently I've discovered that I'm unable to connect to their service.

When you set up with them you have to set a specific DNS address either on your router (to cover multiple devices) or PC.

So when I noticed I couldn't connect I re-did the set up on both my router, laptop and PC but with no luck. I'd been going back and forth with their tech support and on a whim I checked via my tablet and I got connected no issue.

I decided to suspend Avast for 10 minutes and recheck. I have avast on both PC and Laptop so I figured this would be a good test as it's not on my tablet. Well I got connected again with no problem.

I turned it back on, no connection. So I try turning off Secure DNS under active protection and I can connect again.

So my question.

Can I change a setting to allow me to access my Unblock-US account and benefit from it, if so how, or do I have to keep Secure DNS switched off. If so what's the potential issue with this?

Thanks for any help provided.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast vs Unblock-US
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 05:34:28 AM »
Can I change a setting to allow me to access my Unblock-US account and benefit from it, if so how, or do I have to keep Secure DNS switched off. If so what's the potential issue with this?
You already answered your own questions.

REDACTED

Re: Avast vs Unblock-US
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 10:47:08 AM »
...or do I have to keep Secure DNS switched off. If so what's the potential issue with this?

Yes.

None if you have other protocols set properly in your browser.  At the very least you should have TLS1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 ticked, and SSL 3.0 if you desperately need to get to some no-hoper sites.  I am also assuming you have UPnP disabled as that holds several ports open for BiDi traffic, and strong router protection like WPA2, hidden SSID, MAC binding & etc.  In short, a healthy dose of paranoia!

Gordon.