Author Topic: Does Avast Actually Care???  (Read 19905 times)

REDACTED

Does Avast Actually Care???
« on: December 02, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »
2 Major Bug Reports on Avast Update Crippling Functionality That a Lot of Us Critically Rely On

• Flash Version of Chatango no Longer working after Avast update - 3 weeks old
  • Avast is blocking Chatango, but only flash version? - 1 month old

Never acknowledged, never commented on, never given a path to resolution...

Do we matter???

Or should we de-install and all move back to AVG???

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Does Avast Actually Care???
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 11:12:59 AM »
Hello,
is there any detection from Avast? Screenshot might help.

Milos

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:14:59 AM »
Given your unfriendly approach, maybe it's better to move :)
Anyway, this is the first time I face a program called Chatango. We'll need much more info to try to help.

- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- What avast! version and virus database number?
- What was the filename and path where the virus was found (if any)?
- Which actions have you taken to try solving the problem?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?
- Is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:06:14 PM »
I might be a whole lot friendlier if the support forums were actually monitored and responded to by Avast -- having open bug reports for a month (which were in the top-5 most recently updated for many days) is not exactly warming my heart towards your product (which I have been using for close to a decade and recommending and installing on well over 50 other machines, most w/ the paid version)

There is more than enough information in the 2 posts cited for this to be reproducible by any half-capable QC / QA Eng if they were actually read.

As to details for the still challenged, just go to any website that uses Chatango as chat embed or any chat on Chatango.Com (try http://cricfreetvs.chatango.com/) and select Legacy Flash Version in upper right and all you will get is a spinner in the chat box. Manifests this behavior in Win7-Ult and Win8.1 in IE, Firefox, & Chrome w/ latest update to Avast 2015.10.0.2208

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 07:59:14 PM »
Unbelievable attitude.
Doubtful anyone would want to help.
Two Avast team members have responded and requested information and still you display attitude.
Unbelievable.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »
They responded to this post, they ignored the 2 others for a month.

Information provided is more than enough to reproduce the problem.

This is NOT my first rodeo w/ Avast NON-Support -- last go-around they told me to turn off active protection to fix the problem, great answer...

And if your answer is this problem should be ignored because I am a little pissed off and therefore deny functionality to the many thousands of less technical (and probably woefully confused) users who have Avast installed and wish to participate in Chatango chat rooms perhaps you should examine your own motives.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:04:57 PM by LazloInSF »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 08:23:46 PM »
If this is the attitude you displayed in earlier posts then I can guess why you were ignored but at this stage you have been given to opportunity to provide more information as what was requested so if you want you matter solved in a friendly and efficient manner then please provide us with more details, personally I've never heard of Chatango either so It cant be that well known.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:29:39 PM by CraigB »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 08:34:16 PM »
There are at least two threads going re: this chatango thing... which Avast has chosen to ignore (not ignore this user... but ignore the entire multipage threads which is a common move for avast).  The poster's attitude has come from avast being less than helpful, not vice versa.

Don't attack the messenger for stating the obvious... attack avast for feeling it's ok to ignore their customers.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 08:39:35 PM »
And when he get a responce, why not provide the info asked for?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 08:40:39 PM »
There are at least two threads going re: this chatango thing... which Avast has chosen to ignore (not ignore this user... but ignore the entire multipage threads which is a common move for avast).  The poster's attitude has come from avast being less than helpful, not vice versa.

Don't attack the messenger for stating the obvious... attack avast for feeling it's ok to ignore their customers.

I don't see anyone attacking the messenger Only the way the message is being delivered.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 08:41:50 PM »
With the amount of traffic on this forum it is fairly easy to go down the list and not be noticed which is probably what has happened with this Chatango matter but that's no excuse for rude behaviour/attitude and if anything bumping the original topic up to be noticed would be much smarter as more details were explained in the original topic as the OP here doesn't want to give any ::)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 08:49:34 PM »
Yes, provide the needed information, Screenshot! as asked "Error messages" what ever,
 Lets move on with resolving the issues

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 09:44:46 PM »
From my previous post, what about this is not explicitly clear????

"As to details for the still challenged, just go to any website that uses Chatango as chat embed or any chat on Chatango.Com (try http://cricfreetvs.chatango.com/) and select Legacy Flash Version in upper right and all you will get is a spinner in the chat box. Manifests this behavior in Win7-Ult and Win8.1 in IE, Firefox, & Chrome w/ latest update to Avast 2015.10.0.2208"

Edit: I have been a software engineer / gigantic systems-networks architect for 35 yrs and the above quote (and details from the ignored threads) would have been more than enough for me to run a browser in trace mode w/ whatever proprietary profiling tools Avast has and identify the cause of the problem.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:09:44 PM by LazloInSF »

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 10:12:09 PM »
I can help out on getting this issue fixed. Thanks for responding to the matter Avast. I will answer the following accordingly, and have a screenshot attached.

-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
-Avast 2015.10.0.2208, Virus Definition: 141202-1
-No virus' detected.
-I've disabled the Web Shield, which is the only means to fixing the problem. I've attempted to add it as an exception, which doesn't seem to work.
-I use the default Windows Firewall.
-No I do not, just Avast. Had it ever since I've gotten this computer in 2010.
-Nope
-No errors I could find, then again, I've never actually used the Error tool before. Lol

The same issue occurs when you go to the actual chatango page and click on Legacy Flash Player. I've updated Flash, have used 5 different browsers including (IE, Opera, Chrome, Firefox, Pale-Moon.) All to which don't work.

w11.zetaboards.com/HWA_Online (Bottom of the page is the embedded chatango.)
h-w-a.chatango.com (The full screen chantango page) *I click on Legacy flash and it don't work.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 10:35:49 PM »
Hello,
this topic was reported to QA to test.

Milos