Author Topic: Does Avast Actually Care???  (Read 19984 times)

Offline jursa

• Avast team
Re: Does Avast Actually Care???
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 04:02:06 PM »
Thanks guys, problem has been reproduced and forwarded to the development department. We will release emergency update as soon as possible.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »
THANK YOU AVAST!!!

This is how all these bugs that have been floating around for a while should be handled:

You acknowledged the chatango problem, advised you were working on it and everyone is happy and civil and no attitude... see how easy that is?

Now how about some of thee:
UI popping up after scheudled scan
Threat Detected message after scheduled scan when there is no threat
Scheduled scans not starting at the scheduled time
Exclusion list not keeping entries

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
After ignoring it for a month until I shouted in 30 pt loud red to get attention paid to it -- not a great resolution actually given what had to be done to get there so I would be a little reserved while breaking your arm patting yourself on the back...

And as to friendly, to paraphrase Harry Truman: "if you want friendly get a dog..."

Real software engineering (not "social site puffery") is a contact sport if you have ever been in a Silicon Valley design / code review, project management meeting, BUG MARKUP / RESOLUTION SESSION, etc. and real engineers have very little patience for stupidity, inattention to detail, process over production, and being nice while critical things go unattended to....

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »
After ignoring it for a month until I shouted in 30 pt loud red to get attention paid to it -- not a great resolution actually given what had to be done to get there so I would be a little reserved while breaking your arm patting yourself on the back...

And as to friendly, to paraphrase Harry Truman: "if you want friendly get a dog..."

Real software engineering (not "social site puffery") is a contact sport if you have ever been in a Silicon Valley design / code review, project management meeting, BUG MARKUP / RESOLUTION SESSION, etc. and real engineers have very little patience for stupidity, inattention to detail, process over production, and being nice while critical things go unattended to....

Here here.   I would add that the average software house is also very careful to "not admit" when they release a "dog" and also that support take the brunt of the criticism even though it's not really their fault.

If Avast development and QA is anything like a couple of companies that I have worked for then all I can say is that they are about par for the course.  The 3rd party support scam is, however, imho, another matter - shameful.  They deserve to slowly die a painful death for that one......

Offline TheViper4Life

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 02:29:34 AM »
I was one of the other people who made a thread about the Flash version of Chatango no longer working with the newest version of Avast (it's a chat room used primarily on major Anime sites...it's actually quite popular), but it seems it was deleted.

However I see that issue is being looked into, so hopefully Avast can get a proper update out there soon. I had to do a system restore to get the old Avast back...so it would be nice to finally use the new one.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 08:32:46 PM »
I was one of the other people who made a thread about the Flash version of Chatango no longer working with the newest version of Avast (it's a chat room used primarily on major Anime sites...it's actually quite popular), but it seems it was deleted.

However I see that issue is being looked into, so hopefully Avast can get a proper update out there soon. I had to do a system restore to get the old Avast back...so it would be nice to finally use the new one.

we are looking into this, but let me ask a question: you mention system restore. What was the reason? Isn't disabling HTTPS scanner enough? You are able see any problems with chatango even with https scanning turned off? Thanks.

L.

Offline KevTech

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
I don't use chatango but in my testing the only way to access the flash version was to disable the web shield.

I tried turning off https scanning, making exclusions and every other option in the web shield with no affect. Even made a global exclusion for that URL but no go.

Only disabling the web shield would allow the flash version to load.

Offline TheViper4Life

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 09:21:16 PM »
I had to do a system restore because nothing else worked. The only way I could get the Flash version of Chatango to work was to shut down Avast completely...even turning off the Web Shield didn't work, and obviously I want Avast to be on at all times. I played around with all the settings I could before I came here to see if this was a known issue or not...and nothing short of turning off Avast worked.

Doing a system restore allowed me to get the previous version of Avast back and low and behold, the Flash version worked again. I even had a friend of mine be my guinea pig. I asked her to upgrade to the new version and see if Flash worked for her, and sure enough as soon she came back from her restart it didn't work anymore, with a system restore also doing the trick for her, aswell.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 09:48:59 PM »
Thanks guys.

Offline KevTech

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »
I had to do a system restore because nothing else worked. The only way I could get the Flash version of Chatango to work was to shut down Avast completely...even turning off the Web Shield didn't work, and obviously I want Avast to be on at all times. I played around with all the settings I could before I came here to see if this was a known issue or not...and nothing short of turning off Avast worked.

Did you reload the page after disabling the shield?

I tried having page up and then disabled shield but still had spinning icon but as soon as I reloaded the page (F5) the page came up.

Offline TheViper4Life

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 04:57:19 AM »

Did you reload the page after disabling the shield?

I tried having page up and then disabled shield but still had spinning icon but as soon as I reloaded the page (F5) the page came up.
Sure did, several times. Even left it there for a while to see if the page would catch. Only turning off Avast worked.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 12:05:19 AM »
So,

10 days since I started this thread...

6 wks since the bug was originally reported...

Chatango powered sites all over the interwebs crippled (was just in one that changed to another service, several hundred confused chatters and a huge site management headache for website owner)...

Any ETR yet???

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 11:05:43 PM »
and, of course, now Chatango is down on a DDOS attack -- oh well...

EDIT: Appears to be back up as of 9:28am ET 12/14/14
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:28:55 PM by LazloInSF »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 01:55:50 PM »
Hi guys, we are still working on this. There was a bug in ssl filter related to this, fixed. Still not working - trying to find out problem in the SPDY parser.

More progress can be expected in January.

(internal bug id: AV-7301)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 11:33:46 PM »
Hello guys,
we have identified the problem with Chatango. The binary communication that the flash plugin emits was parsed as SPDY traffic inside WebShield. We have now improved the detection of modern protocols SPDY and HTTP/2. The issue with Chatango seems to be fixed in our internal builds. When tested, we'll discuss how to deliver the fix to you.

Thanks for pointing out to the bug.
Lukas.