Author Topic: solution for system protection to 50% of hard drive with avast?  (Read 17909 times)

REDACTED

solution for system protection to 50% of hard drive with avast?
« on: December 02, 2014, 05:20:15 PM »
hi - recently discovered my hard drive had lots of used space on it in the system volume information folder, did checking online, and found out that it was because avast 2015 changes the system protection settings (view system settings | system protection | configure c drive) to 50% of the space.  this was NOT an issue when i had the previous version of avast installed, and when i reset the slider to a smaller number and reboot the machine, it gets reset back to 50% of the space.

i am on windows 7, using only part of avast (using it with comodo), i don't have web browser protection on. 

what do i need to modify in avast so that it will stop resetting my system protection settings?

thanks for any help you can provide on this.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: solution for system protection to 50% of hard drive with avast?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »
Sounds like the NG feature which you can remove via the "change installed features" option in remove programs.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
Hello! I have this exact problem too!

After I installed newest Avast, 25th November, I noticed that my system restore point max usage jumped from 4% to 50%. I cannot see any other reasons which would interfere with it, except Avast!. I haven't installed recently any new windows updates, any programs or updated my programs.

Is there a way to turn this off? or disable Avast from changing it

I've been happy with Avast! since 2008 or as far as I can remember, no complaints. This problem scared me so I made an account and hoping to resolve this

Thank you :)

edit: and it keeps jumping back to 50%
edit2: I don't have any other Avast products like this NG
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:18:24 PM by xeroforc3 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »
NG is part of all versions of Avast and you can remove it by going to control panel > programmes and features > select Avast > select change
Remove the tick from NG and continue from there

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 07:06:11 PM »
@ Bob g

Check and make sure you 'untick' Grimefighter in the install options in the middle (tools) colum.
See screeshot

Ah, Essexboy is fast!
 ;D

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »
Thank you. I will try this and report here if this problem does not occur within a week! :)

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 07:12:02 PM »
I uninstalled NG after that I rebooted where max usage went back to 50%. I hope this stops now after this?

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 08:30:45 PM »
thank you for the quick responses!  i'm going to try it out now and see if it works, will report back after i've done a couple clean boots and (hopefully) verify that it works.

also, i *thought* i didn't install grimefighter, but i may be wrong.

thanks again!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »
thank you for the quick responses!  i'm going to try it out now and see if it works, will report back after i've done a couple clean boots and (hopefully) verify that it works.

also, i *thought* i didn't install grimefighter, but i may be wrong.

thanks again!

There is a free element available for the free version, not the full functionality - so you would have to have specifically unchecked the GrimeFighter during installation (as in the previously attached images).

Avast would hope that having used the free element that you would want the full paid version.

Personally I'm not a fan of optimisation programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 11:50:19 PM »
thanks essexboy, craigb, davidr, schmidthouse for your help; your suggestions worked and my hard disk space is where i'd like it to be.

i believe i uninstalled grimefighter from one of the earlier versions of avast, so i'm not sure why it would have reappeared, but david, you were right.  it was there and i unchecked it, along with ng and one or two of the other features.

again, thanks for your help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 12:16:27 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 06:18:06 AM »
Actualyl the increase is only needed to create the images. Once done, you can decrease that setting...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline bobby1981

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 06:23:39 AM »
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I've just realised the same thing; my hard drive space kept dwindling every day, and when I looked in the restore settings found the bar was set to 50%, with a whopping 250GB used up (although oddly, only a dozen or so actual restore points created)!  I uninstalled NG, deleted the restores and set the bar back to 10% (is that Windows 7's default?  I've no idea), and tested again with this NG component; once again the bar was at 50%.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 04:42:49 PM »
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I've just realised the same thing; my hard drive space kept dwindling every day, and when I looked in the restore settings found the bar was set to 50%, with a whopping 250GB used up (although oddly, only a dozen or so actual restore points created)!  I uninstalled NG, deleted the restores and set the bar back to 10% (is that Windows 7's default?  I've no idea), and tested again with this NG component; once again the bar was at 50%.
Maybe you should give the latest beta release a try. It addresses some of the problem associated with NG.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=165749.0
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline bobby1981

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 06:08:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply; I'll look into it.  I wonder how many people are having the same issue with space but just don't realise this could be causing it.  Although it had 'only' used up 250GB the max 50% according to Windows 7 would have been about 750GB (!), which would have basically wasted my entire free space, eventually (in fact I don't think I even had this much left).  Too bad I didn't Google the issue before uninstalling a lot of downloadable games.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:35:21 AM by bobby1981 »