Author Topic: solution for system protection to 50% of hard drive with avast?  (Read 17966 times)

REDACTED

Re: solution for system protection to 50% of hard drive with avast?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 10:46:31 PM »
The problem seems deeper than this.
Today, Sat 14\02\15, I attempted to install an update to an application I test for a software maker.

I am administrator with full permissions including ownership of hard drives in my PC, yet an error message kept popping up saying I did NOT have permission to change files on the drive the application is installed too.
After much hair tearing, I discovered the culprit is AVAST. It has changed MY permission settings because of that damned Grimefighter or NG thing that is set to install by default.
This is wrong. Worse, because I do not install to the default C drive location, Avast has not appeared in my program manager so I can't , yet, find a way to get rid of this annoying and useless to me feature.
Thanks Avast, as another person mentioned, I have been very happy with Avast for many years, but this is not right.
I'm angry, you do not select feature for us, we do. End of point!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 10:56:07 PM »
Avast does not change permissions on the main drive

If you use custom install rather than just click away you can select the elements to install.  You can also uninstall them from control panel > programs and features > Avast  > change

Offline Skakara

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 06:33:37 PM »
People interested about NG and Windows System Protection might want to check out my new topic: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166697.0

Offline ChrisBedford

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 06:39:32 PM »
OK I realise I'm "necroposting" here but it's directly related to the topic: what is this "NG" of which you speak?

I jave looked on two machines, one with Avast Free and another Avast Pro, and neither has any component remotely like NG. Since no-one in this thread has identified what it is supposed to do, I'm completely in the dark here...

Offline Cast

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 11:51:37 PM »
Its now called Secure Virtual Machines. Pretty much its sandbox for where avast tests files at least thats from my understanding.