Author Topic: Avast 4.6 pro unable to find files  (Read 5651 times)

rookie

Avast 4.6 pro unable to find files
« on: September 03, 2005, 03:04:10 PM »
Hi again,

I was told in my last post to wait 2 weeks and then remove any viruses from the quarantine chest, after a virus has been found.

If by move, that meant delete, I've tried to delete.  However, I keep getting a message saying the infected file cannot be found.  So, how do I get rid of it.  And if it can't be found, how the heck is it infecting my computer ???

Also, when I view the results from the scan, it also shows many many files that avast was unable to scan

(example:{5C1D3D5F-8C6F-4998-BBC1-78F6D961F435}.bin UNABLE TO SCAN:  THE PROCESS CANNOT ACCESS THE FILE BECAUSE IT IS BEING USED BY ANOTHER PROCESS) 

I don't know if this is a serious problem or not.  Can someone out there help me understand this stuff. 

If someone should reply to this post, could you please be as NON-Technical as possible.  Plain language is sooooo much easier for me to understand.  Thanks.

Rookie

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast 4.6 pro unable to find files
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 03:19:40 PM »
1) open the chest, right click the file and choose delete

Avast unable to scan certain files if in use has been explained tons of times already.
Use the search option on this board.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 03:23:44 PM »
If by move, that meant delete, I've tried to delete.  However, I keep getting a message saying the infected file cannot be found.
Do you mean you can delete the Chest file or the file itself (in your computer)?

Also, when I view the results from the scan, it also shows many many files that avast was unable to scan
(example:{5C1D3D5F-8C6F-4998-BBC1-78F6D961F435}.bin UNABLE TO SCAN:  THE PROCESS CANNOT ACCESS THE FILE BECAUSE IT IS BEING USED BY ANOTHER PROCESS)
Could be bad, could not.
Maybe just files in use. If you run avast! in Safe Mode booting (pressing F8 while booting > Safe Mode > running avast!) maybe you can see better.
Or, if you have XP, just schedule boot time scanning.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 05:23:43 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 03:49:45 PM »
Eddy,

I forgot to mention that I did use the search option first.  The reason I posted my message was because when I searched, I typed in the exact message I was receiving:

UNABLE TO SCAN:  THE PROCESS CANNOT ACCESS THE FILE BECAUSE IT IS BEING USED BY ANOTHER PROCESS

not just "Unable to scan".  I saw posts about being unable to scan because the file is "protected by password", "corrupted", etc.

Also, I did right click and chose delete before I posted my original message.  I received a message that said:

AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED DURING THE PROCESSING OF 1 RESULT

Thanks for the advice though.  Any other suggestions?

Rookie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 05:24:00 PM »
Any other suggestions?
Rookie, did you try what I've suggested?
The best things in life are free.

rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 03:03:20 PM »
Any other suggestions?
Rookie, did you try what I've suggested?

Hi Tech,

Yup.  I tried the boot scan.  Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the viruses are still in the chest.

Rookie

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 03:13:30 PM »
Unfortunately, the viruses are still in the chest.
That is where they should be, avast doesn't check the chest (a protected area) nor delete them from there using the boot-time scan.
I you wish to delete viruses from the chest then you have to open the chest, select the viruses you wish to delete and select delete.

Leave the file in the avast Chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. You should leave it there for a week or two to ensure no harmful effects of having moved it. If there are no harmful effects, then scan it again if that scan also confirms it as infected you can delete it from within the chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security