Author Topic: Is Google Chrome crashing a lot for others after the last Avast update?  (Read 3409 times)

REDACTED

I'm having a lot of trouble with Chrome locking up after the last Avast update from a few days ago, anyone else?  I haven't installed or changed anything else.  Getting ready to drop my subscription with Avast and go with something else.  (Using Windows 7.)

REDACTED

Re: Is Google Chrome crashing a lot for others after the last Avast update?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
I have recently experienced problems with Chrome, and also with IE, on Win 7.  Chrome loads slowly (or dies), and when it does come up, pages load slowly (or die).   I am an Admin for a non-profit, and can't login to its website when using Chrome.   

On both Chrome and IE, when I try to load a web page, I get a pop-up message at the bottom of the screen asking whether I want to Load or Save a URL (long string), but no matter how I respond, it's unresponsive.

To get around these problems, I downloaded Firefox, have had NO similar problems.   I tried re-downloading Chrome, didn't help.

I am thinking of turning off Avast, or even uninstalling it, to see if that resolves the problems.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:11:25 PM »
See if disabling https scanning makes a change.
Personally I use Opera.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:54:48 PM »
What happens when you use a different browser?
FYI, my primary browser is Firefox.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 04:38:40 AM »
Like jimpatterson2, I too am having difficulties. I do not use Chrome, but as a backup browser when need be, it's useful. However, the new update fucked up something for sure.

Any other browser works fine. Just not Chrome. Like the OP, I tried re-installing Chrome, but to no avail (even created a new folder). Unlike the OP, however, Chrome dies a fraction of a section after trying to load itself. Yet, Chrome's exe does appear in the task manager's "Processes".

Offline KevTech

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 04:50:23 AM »
It would help if people would make it clear what version of Avast they are using that is causing an issue.

Reason is not all options/components are in all versions.

Avast Free

Avast Pro

Avast Internet Security

Avast Premier

Offline Gerhardt

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 06:41:43 AM »
AIS iscrashing/preventing internet connection on Chrome, Firefox and MS Outlook. It only works if I turn it off!! Gerhardt

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 03:36:17 PM »
@ mades Please watch your language this is a public forum.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 04:05:52 PM »
I am using Avast 2015 Free on my PC and laptop. Chrome on the PC is fine but on the PC is very difficult to open - since the last program update. I tried re-intalling it but to no avail.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 12:41:05 AM »
Sorry Para-noid  :-[

I use:
Avast Free version 2015.10.2208