Author Topic: Virus Chest and Exclusions  (Read 2553 times)

REDACTED

Virus Chest and Exclusions
« on: May 19, 2015, 12:03:07 PM »
I've been an Avast (Internet Security) user for years, but I'm still sometimes confused by the user interface. Today, I was running AutoHotkey and I wanted to get some information on a window for my AHK-script. However, Avast blocked the Autohotkey Windows Spy-program and put it in it's Virus Chest. After searching the web to find the location of the Virus Chest (Statistics -> Component Status -> Virus Chest OR Scan -> Scan for Viruses -> Quarantine (Virus Chest) at the bottom right), I right clicked the AU3_Spy.exe script and selected "Restore and add to exclusions." The Windows Spy is now no longer blocked. So far so good. However, I have two questions:

- When I open the Virus Chest, the AU3_Spy.exe script is still listed, even though I restored it. (Twice, just to be sure.) Refreshing the list doesn't change anything. Is this normal? It seems to me that the file should be removed once it's been whitelisted.
- Where can I find the whitelisted files? I expected the program to be listed under Settings -> Active Protection -> File System Shield -> Customize -> Exclusions, but its not there.

Hopefully you guys can clear things up for me.

Edit: nevermind about the second question, I've just accidentally found an aswer playing around with the settings. The file is listed under Settings -> General -> Exclusions. I suppose this is where files that are excluded from all shields go, whereas the whitelists under Settings -> Active Protection are shield-specific.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:10:20 PM by mihasi »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Virus Chest and Exclusions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:16:47 PM »
When I open the Virus Chest, the AU3_Spy.exe script is still listed, even though I restored it.
a copy will remain in chest just in case

using chest  https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB21#artTitle

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 12:17:21 PM »
- When I open the Virus Chest, the AU3_Spy.exe script is still listed, even though I restored it. (Twice, just to be sure.) Refreshing the list doesn't change anything. Is this normal?
Yes, it's there for your reference. If you don't need it anymore you can delete it.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 12:28:32 PM »
Great, thanks for the quick responses. I was under the impression that "Delete" would delete the file under it's original location as well. Should have RTFM.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 12:31:19 PM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0