Author Topic: Scheduled scans running at wrong time  (Read 19632 times)

REDACTED

Scheduled scans running at wrong time
« on: December 03, 2014, 07:19:16 AM »
I have a quick scan scheduled daily at 6 AM and a full scan scheduled at 3 AM on Monday morning.  This posed no problems in Avast 2014 Pro.  I put in the update for Avast 2015 Pro and now my scheduled daily scan runs at 12 midnight and my weekly scan tried to run at 9 PM Sunday night.  I checked the scheduling and it still shows my previous settings.  What would make the scheduled scan run at a different time?

My apologies for the double post.  When I clicked on the Post button the Forum page would not reload.  I had to close the tab and open the Avast Forum again in another tab.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:40:36 AM by Arthur Dent »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Scheduled scans running at wrong time
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »
I've faced the same, asked here in forums, but couldn't solve my own issue. Hope we have more luck if more users point this up.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 04:52:15 PM »
My last scheduled scan on Nov. 29, 2014 did not start at all.
I had to manually start the scan several hours later.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »
Similar situation here, within the last few months Avast scan seems to run randomly through the day, where the scheduled scan was working fine up to that point. On my Desktop machine it switches (again seemingly random) between running the scan at the indicated time local or UTC time. (i.e. it seems to random pick what time zone it wants to use, but runs the scan at the "appointed time")

EDIT: win 8.1 on laptop; win 7 on desktop
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:57:17 PM by Seedy »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 07:11:07 PM »
Ok, I changed both machines' schedules to run a quick scan at noon, neither did; at one minute after noon I changed both schedules to 1805, and they both started right at 1205. Not really expecting the same to happen tomorrow.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 01:12:42 AM »
Ok, I changed both machines' schedules to run a quick scan at noon, neither did; at one minute after noon I changed both schedules to 1805, and they both started right at 1205. Not really expecting the same to happen tomorrow.
So Desktop did a shutdown after it's scan, and I started it up a little while later... and as 1805 swings around, it runs again... :(
Laptop has not re-run.
Just no predicting when the thing will run, it would seem.

And no word from support on it? Seems like it's been being reported on and off for years.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:48:16 PM »
I'm running into this as well. I have a daily quick scan scheduled for 19:30 Mon - Sat and it scans everyday at 11:30 and 19:30. What's going on?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 12:28:21 AM »
There is apparently a problem with the scheduling. It's been reported.
Curious why you want to run a scan daily???
Anything new, changed or updated is checked by the on demand scanner.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 12:41:56 AM »
I'm adding my name to the list of folks with problems with the scheduled scan not running at its scheduled time. I had mine set for 22:00 and it fired itself up at 13:00 consistently. Going to set it for 13:00 and see what happens. I'd like to see this fixed though, having to work around an error in a service I pay for doesn't seem right.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 01:40:38 AM »
I reported this "ages" ago (many times) with zero feedback......got finally tired of reporting with zilch feedback.  >:(
Also, another bug is Avast's UI also pops up on screen after scan....scheduled scans used to stay minimized when done if all OK.
Also, some of the times you get a false "Threat Detected" even when Scan shows fine in history.
Bottom line, all the above seem to be faulty with Avast on scheduled scans.

So, only thing I can tell you on scheduled time....this happens with the "standard/default" scans.
I found if you create a Custom Scan (even if same settings as one of the default ones) you can schedule and it'll run on schedule.
I do a scan with Avast & MBAM Pro every morning at 4am & 5am before I wake up on all my PCs.....and they work on time.
You can see that while Avast & MBAM active shields work fine together I don't want the scanners running at the same time.

P.S. For those that have MBAM Pro and are/will do the same.....make sure in MBAM Settings of the Scan you uncheck "check for updates before scan" or it will also not run on selected time.....BUT unlike Avast, MBAM does acknowledge this is a known bug.  If you are updating MBAM database throughout the day this is not big deal.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:23:44 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 01:32:28 AM »
I reported this "ages" ago (many times) with zero feedback......got finally tired of reporting with zilch feedback.  >:(
Also, another bug is Avast's UI also pops up on screen after scan....scheduled scans used to stay minimized when done if all OK.
Also, some of the times you get a false "Threat Detected" even when Scan shows fine in history.

So, only thing I can tell you on scheduled time....this happens with the "standard/default" scans.
I found if you create a Custom Scan (even if same settings as one of the default ones) you can schedule and it'll run on schedule.
I do a scan with Avast & MBAM Pro every morning at 4am & 5am before I wake up on all my PCs.....and they work on time.
You can see that while Avast & MBAM active shields work fine together I don't want the scanners running at the same time.

P.S. For those that have MBAM Pro and are/will do the same.....make sure in MBAM Settings of the Scan you uncheck "check for updates before scan" or it will also not run on selected time.....BUT unlike Avast, MBAM does acknowledge this is a known bug.  If you are updating MBAM database throughout the day this is not big deal.
Yeah, it's disheartening that what should be an easy fix has been ignored for so long. It informs us of their exact level of care for their customers.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 02:51:54 AM »

Yeah, it's disheartening that what should be an easy fix has been ignored for so long. It informs us of their exact level of care for their customers.

Let me know if creating a Custom Scan and scheduling it fixes the problem for you...it does me....all PCs run at exact time scheduled from a Custom scan.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 01:05:09 AM »

Let me know if creating a Custom Scan and scheduling it fixes the problem for you...it does me....all PCs run at exact time scheduled from a Custom scan.

It did not, so far only on my win7 desktop, the seemingly random (although I have a pretty good guess) switching between system time and UTC continues.
I will try the laptop now and see if it's behavior is altered.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 06:18:42 AM »
In fact It's been going twice a  day lately once at 2301 UTC once at 2301 local time, i.e. it alternates
It shuts down after each scan.

I suspect there is an array someplace they are expecting a scalar, and it is messing with their ability to tell time.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
Same here.  Schedule is set to run scan at 4:00AM on Sunday morning; runs instead at 11:00PM on Saturday night.