Author Topic: PushMail used for the first time today  (Read 18239 times)

Pavel Baudis

PushMail used for the first time today
« on: October 31, 2003, 04:08:00 PM »
Hi All,

the PushMail update feature has been used for the first time several minutes ago :)

If you are avast! Pro user and you have registered to this service, your database should be updated in the moment when the email arrives and is checked by any avast! mail provider (with the exception of BAT! plugin, which does not offer this feature).

Please let us know how do you like it :) :)

Pavel

pekka

Re:PushMail used for the first time today
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 04:29:42 PM »
Wow!

Worth waiting!!!

---
avast! push-actualization done successfully.

[17:06:55, 10/31/03]
VPS: 0310-4, 31.10.2003

You are currently using the latest version of avast!

[17:21:29, 10/31/03]
VPS: 0310-4, 31.10.2003

sedina

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 04:49:41 PM »
Hi,
sorry for "push-actualization" term. It's terrible! ;-) In next program update it will be corrected (i.e. official name PUSH update)

pavels

pekka

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 04:50:04 PM »
... And ipush done twice here, because my Mercury32 does the first Avast scan and my email client the second...

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 04:53:33 PM »
... And ipush done twice here, because my Mercury32 does the first Avast scan and my email client the second...
Yes, it could happen in such situations but the overload of this is nill - avast! Mail provider checks if there is a new version or not and if not, it just adds the info into the message (if requested) and otherwise does nothing ;-)

Pavel

pekka

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 05:05:47 PM »
Yes, I ment just that if someone wonders why there are two update messages in my post, don't think that many users have my sort of combination.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 05:12:59 PM »
Yes, I ment just that if someone wonders why there are two update messages in my post, don't think that many users have my sort of combination.

Yes - it means that all your mail is scanned twice by avast! :)

pekka

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 05:29:22 PM »
Pavel,

Actually not all my mail.

Only one account, which I made specially for PUSH update.

Every other account is only scanned once with Avast, when delivered to local email client.

Once is enough!
;-)

Walker

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 09:43:31 PM »

Pavel

Pavel,

No doubt everyone else knows the answer to this... I'll be the one to ask anyway  :-[  How do I use/set-up this feature?.

Walker.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 10:01:37 PM »
No doubt everyone else knows the answer to this... I'll be the one to ask anyway  :-[  How do I use/set-up this feature?.

:) Don't worry - it is quite simple!
First, you need avast! Pro installed. Go to the Menu/Settings/Update (Basic). Choose Details button and check Push iAVS enabled there. You can also choose if the Mail provider should add the information about action performed. Then click on the Registration button - it will take you to our Web page where you can subscribe to the list with your mail address. Then you can wait till next iAVS update :) :)!

BTW: to unsubscibe you can use the same web page!

Pavel

Walker

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 10:58:32 PM »
:) Don't worry - it is quite simple!

Thanks Pavel, it all worked fine.  ;D

Can I ask, is the 'Push? feature the only thing that the mailing list is used for?.

Walker.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 11:44:28 PM »
Can I ask, is the 'Push? feature the only thing that the mailing list is used for?.
Yes - it used for iAVS announcements and for virus epidemics warning only...

Pavel

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2003, 03:18:40 AM »
Pavel

Pavel, if the user configure to automatic updates and let some time to open his e-mail client, will avast! be updated "before" the push update mail?

I think yes because I have avast! updated and just after I receive the email...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2003, 09:19:58 AM »
Pavel, if the user configure to automatic updates and let some time to open his e-mail client, will avast! be updated "before" the push update mail?
It depends on many factors but probably yes - when connecting to the Internet, the check for update is done anyway and there is no big need for our Push technology (the only thing might be that the message is held till the update is finished in order to add the result into it, so all following messages are guaranted to be tested with the latest update).

The big advantage of Push comes when you are connected and the standard check is done in every four hours. The mail should come within very short time (less than 10 minutes), so your machine will be usually updated much faster in this case. But of course - this is just a supplement of much more reliable automatic Pop method built in avast! - you simply can't rely on the mail method only...

Pavel

Walker

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2003, 12:32:21 PM »
The big advantage of Push comes when you are connected and the standard check is done in every four hours. The mail should come within very short time (less than 10 minutes), so your machine will be usually updated much faster in this case. But of course - this is just a supplement of much more reliable automatic Pop method built in avast! - you simply can't rely on the mail method only...
Pavel

Pavel,

Just a query  :) ... this message and my previous asking about what the mail list is used for, kinda fits together.

I've noticed recently that 'notifications' of forum messages are not very reliable  :-\ . Sometimes I don't seem to get any at all, sometimes they are hours (possibly 'days') late !. So I wonder if there is any connection between the Push notification message and the mail server that the forum uses to send forum message notifications ?. If so the Push message might turn up later than expected as well  ???.

I'm probably totally off the wall and the servers are independent, just thught I'd mention it  :)

Walker