Author Topic: Using Avast with Internet Download Manager  (Read 8795 times)

REDACTED

Using Avast with Internet Download Manager
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:54:43 PM »
How can I use Avast to scan the file as soon as it is downloaded by Internet Download Manager?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Using Avast with Internet Download Manager
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 07:04:13 PM »
Right click the file and choose scan with Avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:28:24 PM »
How can I use Avast to scan the file as soon as it is downloaded by Internet Download Manager?

If it has a path to have your AV scan the download - then this is it C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\ashQuick.exe

In reality, the web shield should be scanning your downloads, so the need to do this is much reduced. The file system shield would also be scanning newly created executables (which they would be if downloaded).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 07:38:19 PM »
if you are realy afraid of infections upload and test files at www.virustotal.com  /  www.metascan-online.com

virustotal now have more then 50 scan engines and max file size 128mb
Metascan have more then 40 scan engines and max file size 140mb

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 01:56:51 AM »

If it has a path to have your AV scan the download - then this is it C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\ashQuick.exe

I have tried this.. Internet Download Manager shows virus program is checking after file is downloaded..

1.But, after scan I could not see the scan results from Avast.
2.Even there is no such history in the scan logs.

How can I now that avast had really scanned?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 04:26:31 PM »
I rather doubt that it is actually scanning the file - unless this is the command that it is issuing it is unlikely it would know this path.

If it were scanning the file I believe it would have a small scan window displayed by avast.

Firefox says it tries to have the download scanned by the installed AV - but it fails miserably when avast is the installed AV and firefox doesn't have any way to enter the AV path to have it scanned. This is the most important thing the download manager has to have the ability for you to give it the path to be able to call avast to scan it.

If it fails to have the download scanned as I believe is the case, then 1. & 2. wouldn't have any record of a scan not done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »
Just putting ashQuick.exe in the DL manager is often not enough.
It will just call ashQuick.exe but it doesn't tell it what to scan.

The option in DL-managers to specify that a av should scan a file after download is a remnant of "the old" days.
Back then av's did not scan webtraffic.
Nowadays with almost all av's the option is not needed anymore since the webbtrafic is scanned.

Besides that,
the file (if it comes packed) is scanned upon unpacking as wel as soon as you move a file to another folder or try to run a file.