Author Topic: Avast/Thunderbird conflict, can't get messages.  (Read 9089 times)

lefty_lucy

Avast/Thunderbird conflict, can't get messages.
« on: September 06, 2005, 09:55:26 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum though I've used Avast for a couple years with no problems on my old Win98 machine.  However, I recently got a new Dell D3000 Win XP SP2 computer which was bundled with a trial version of Norton.

I knew I would dump the Norton before the trial period ended, which I did, and downloaded Avast 4 Home.  Immediately after that I started having trouble receiving my email.  I uninstalled and re-installed both Thunderbird and Avast with no luck.  Then I uninstalled Avast and installed AVG, which worked for a few hours and then quit. 

The one other possible glitch in this mix is that I have a spamcatcher called Email Protect.  I'm sorry, I don't know enough about this stuff to know if it could be a problem, but I thought I should mention it.

I prefer Avast to AVG and would gladly download again and use it, but is there a way I can get my email problem resolved?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast/Thunderbird conflict, can't get messages.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 10:01:23 PM »
However, I recently got a new Dell D3000 Win XP SP2 computer which was bundled with a trial version of Norton.
Norton... that's the problem.
Follow tons of Norton Uninstallation guides in forum. Shortly:

1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Symantec removal tool (browse their site to get it, there are one for each antivirus series). Boot.
3) Install avast! Boot.
4) See what you get.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 10:15:03 PM »
Check the relevant link for your NAV version. NAV is an absolute pig to remove, just like they don't want you to leave. It usuly conflicts with the next AV that you install.

The NAV 2003 removal tool can be downloaded here: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe
Manual Removal NAV 2004 - Manual Removal NAV 2004
Manual Removal NAV 2003 or earlier - Manual Removal NAV 2003 or earlier
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lefty_lucy

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 11:58:22 PM »
Hmmm.  I uninstalled Norton several days ago.  That's when the trouble started.  I used the Windows uninstaller, then I used EasyCleaner, which found a few more bits, and then I used CCleaner at the advice of the folks on the Mozilla T-Bird forum.

I am not sure that your links will help me now since in theory I don't have Norton, and no longer remember which version I had.

And why am I a llama???  :-\

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 12:08:48 AM »
Persevere Norton is a sneaky little bugger that at times can be worse than a virus, you may think it's gone but its not.  Read some of the other topics on norton and you will see what I mean (just put norton removal in the search box) 

And why am I a llama???
  Coz they be cute and cuddly ?? ??  8)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 12:16:25 AM »
I am not sure that your links will help me now since in theory I don't have Norton, and no longer remember which version I had.
Theory/Practice and Reality when it comes to Norton are entirely different things. The potential for conflict far outweighs the limited time it takes to confirm that the registry entries, etc. mentioned in the Norton pages are in fact gone.

You will be a llama until you find how to change it ;D click the Profile button at the top of each page, click the Forum Profile Information, enter what you like in the Personal text box.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lefty_lucy

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 12:41:13 AM »
Thanks guys!  Boy you folks sure are nicer than the guys on the AVG forums.  I'll go have a look at the Norton pages and worry about llamas llater.  :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 12:49:02 AM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

lefty_lucy

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 09:22:21 PM »
Hello again.  I finally got around to following your instructions re the Semantec Norton 2003 uninstaller, and also dumped AVG and re-downloaded Avast, rebooting after each change.

Unfortunately this didn't correct the problem with the email.  It will work if I STOP the Avast resident protection, but it will not work if I merely PAUSE it.  So I suppose that this is not really a satisfactory situation but I don't know what else I can do.   Argh.

lefty_lucy

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 09:32:43 PM »
Uhh.  I just got two emails in my inbox after resuming the Resident Protection.  So maybe - MAYBE - it's going to be OK now.  On the other hand, I may come screaming back.   In any case thanks again.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 12:29:23 AM »
Just check if avast did scan them, icon should spin and in the Internet Mail the detailed view would show an increase in the scanned files count and the last scanned email. Also the header information of inbound email will also have something like this in it (the date and VPS would show the latest vesrsion and date).

X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0535-3, 02/09/2005), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

lefty_lucy

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 02:53:57 AM »
OK, I looked at the full headers for the last email I received and there was the Avast mark, so I think it's good now.  Thanks, David.  :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 03:00:56 AM »
Your welcome.

lefty_lucy

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 03:52:10 PM »
Arg!  This morning I am back to having to terminate resident protection again.  Otherwise Thunderbird won't even check for mail.  Do you think it could STILL be a problem with Norton?  I have a thread at the T-Bird forum too, but they haven't come up with anything other than Norton either. 

Spyros

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 03:58:59 PM »
Some more info on how to completely remove Norton
http://spyros.atspace.com/uninstall.html.
Follow all the steps carefully. After you are sure that there isn't any more trace left of it & if you still have problems, we may start searching for something else that may be causing your problem with Thunderbird.