Author Topic: Avast/Thunderbird conflict, can't get messages.  (Read 9094 times)

lefty_lucy

Re: Avast/Thunderbird conflict, can't get messages.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 06:02:33 PM »
I've been looking at those links from spyros, however I am not certain which version of Norton was bundled and I have already deleted it several different ways so I will just have to guess which one to try. 

In the meantime a new dialog box has popped up:    A few minutes after I disabled Avast resident protection, got my mail, and clicked "start" again a  box popped up with the following question:  Internet connection timeout elapsed.  Continue waiting?  (thunderbird.exe->msa1-mx.centurytel.net 110)

Yes or no.  I clicked "no" and it disappeared.

Boris

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 06:25:02 PM »
Hello lefty_lucy. The name of the removal tool for norton products is SymNRT.EXE. I found it by doing a google search. It completely uninstalled all of the Norton programs on my system. I too was having problems and that was the fix that helped. If there is any thing Symantec on your machine it will unstall it. The programs it gets rid of are listed, I believe, before you run the program.

Good luck.

lefty_lucy

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 07:48:27 PM »
Boris, I think it depends on which version of Norton you are trying to get rid of.  In my case, Norton was bundled with the computer and I went through Add/Remove programs first, and now I don't KNOW which version I had.  I am thinking it was the Security Center and that's the tool in Spyros' list that I'm going to try.

lefty_lucy

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 08:49:53 PM »
OK, I used all the links that seemed appropriate, rebooting between all of them, got a clean bill of health from Semantec (told to re-install Norton, *shudder*).

Email still doesn't work unless I stop Resident Protection.

Spyros

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 09:58:50 AM »
Have you tried repairing avast? Through "add/remove" -> "repair". Also, try uninstalling & re-installing Thunderbird.

Jarmo P

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2005, 10:59:46 AM »
The one other possible glitch in this mix is that I have a spamcatcher called Email Protect.  I'm sorry, I don't know enough about this stuff to know if it could be a problem, but I thought I should mention it.

Lucy, I don't know that program, but i sure can imagine it is the problem?
Thunderbird has it's own Junk mail feature that works well.
Try disabling it from running and Thunderbird should have no reference to it in account settings I think.

lefty_lucy

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2005, 12:53:41 AM »
Thanks, Jarmo.  I didn't know about Thunderbirds spam filters when I bought that little email washer.  It didn't cost very much and I think I will simply uninstall it since I can't find a choice to disable it.