Author Topic: antispyware  (Read 3335 times)

justin1278

antispyware
« on: September 07, 2005, 02:25:23 AM »
hi i was just wondering if alwil was thinking of making an antispyware product.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: antispyware
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 08:01:04 AM »
Personally I hope not.  I think it is better that Antivirus programs perfect and keep their product "state of the Art" in preventing Viruses in as many ways as possible, and leave the Spyware protection to Spyware protection software.  It always seems that procs tend to want to branch out until they end up covering so many things that the original purpose of the software is marginalized.  Why not just do one thing really well instead of adding firewalls, spyware protection etc etc which tends to create a bigger and bigger footprint on memory and in turn  negatively impacting resource load and potentially diluting the purpose of the AV program that which is blocking Viruses.

There are excellent spyware protection programs available on the market one of which is the FREE SpywareBlaster program which I use.  I say let those programs do their jobs and the AV's programs do theirs.  NAV and I'm sure other AV's have added Spyware protection simply to draw more customers.  I guess it is just the nature of the beast to want to try and do more and more in order to attract buyers.   ::)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Jarmo P

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 09:50:54 AM »
Not to mention that I personally am not able to run resident antispyware programs. Cannot understand them.
Tried MSAS and SpyBot Tea Timer resident. Never knew what to answer when installing programs :P

Installed Yahoo Messenger with voice, SpyBot resident kept popping up, preventing some registry changes when I tried to run it in limited user account.
As a result, when I tried voice call, my computer froze, could not even bring up Task Manager. Only power button to bring my system back.
Admitted YM latest is a bothering install, toolbars on browsers etc. in the recomended install type.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 05:36:58 AM »
Jarmo P wrote:
Not to mention that I personally am not able to run resident antispyware programs. Cannot understand them.
Tried MSAS and SpyBot Tea Timer resident. Never knew what to answer when installing programs

Installed Yahoo Messenger with voice, SpyBot resident kept popping up, preventing some registry changes when I tried to run it in limited user account.
As a result, when I tried voice call, my computer froze, could not even bring up Task Manager. Only power button to bring my system back.
Admitted YM latest is a bothering install, toolbars on browsers etc. in the recomended install type.

Try the Spyware program I mentioned: SpywareBlaster
This program is FREE and has a lot of options available including System Snapshot which is nice, but other than that I really don't use any except for disabling the blocking of my start page cookies which I want allowed.  All you really have to do is make sure the DataBase is current by checking to see if an Update is available every week or so.  Currently there are 4,349 items in the DataBase.

The critical difference between SpywareBlaster and SpyBot is that the SpywareBlaster will BLOCK spyware before it can get on your computer.  SpyBot just scans your computer to see if you have spyware already installed on your computer just as the Virus Scan in Avast will scan you computer so see if a Virus got by Avast's resident Virus shield protection.  One program is innoculating your computer and the other is testing to see if the innoculation has been effective.

As far as the SpyBot Tea Timer resident is concerned I really like this feature.  It is a function of SpyBot which will monitor critical registry settings and offers the options that gives the user the choice to either BLOCK the action or ALLOW the action.  So when you say "SpyBot resident kept popping up, preventing some registry changes when I tried to run it in limited user account" what the Tea Timer is doing is letting you know that an attempt at changing a critical registry setting is being made and it is asking you if you want the change to be made.  You have the option to "Allow" or "Block".

If you have a program that is constantly changing the registry settings that are monitored by SpyBot's Tea Timer then it is obviously very annoying.  So you have essentially three choices: 1) Just don't use the SpyBot Tea Timer  2)  Use the function and answer the prompts each time to "Allow" the change  3) Turn Tea Timer off when you use the program that needs to make frequent changes to the registry.

As I said the Tea Timer only monitors high level (critical) registry settings, registry settings that are commonly changed are not monitored and thus these changes are transparent to the user and done without incident.

As I said if you know you will be installing or using a program that will make many changes then the Tea Timer can be turned off during that time.  In my case I personally just leave it on all the time so for instance I knew that when I installed NAV2004 it made 8 critical registry changes which of course I allowed.  In the case of Avast it made 3 critical changes when it installed.  This way I know what the program is doing to some degree.  I personally do not run any programs that regularly change these critical areas of the registry so I prefer to have Tea Timer running so that I know when something is attempting to make these changes to my registry.  I have occassionally "blocked" a change to the registry when I have not known why or what is wanting to make the change, where as if I'm installing or running something that I know might want to make changes then I simply allow the changes.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Jarmo P

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 10:16:43 AM »
I have SpywareBlaster as you can see from my sig. I value it since I need sometimes to use IE and it gives FireFox too some cookie protection at least.

Maybe I turn SpyBot resident on again.

Talking about bad experiences with antispyware. MSAS removed my Kazaa folder. I let it remove the Spyware it told was there, and when I wanted it back, I could not. It was only program folder with maybe hundred mp3's downloaded there to my shared folder, no running prgram components there. Kazaa was uninstalled. Fortunately I had saved most songs to a CD, but not all. That was all sure my mistake, could not understand the messy program user interface or something.

There was no connections from that as i could see from the firewall log and neither SpyBot or Ad-Aware never found any. So MSAS stays definately out of my puter ;)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 12:09:04 PM »
I second spywareblaster it is the best tool in your armoury for passive defence.  Get it and use it then your infections will all but disappear