Author Topic: 2015 blocking almost everything.  (Read 6925 times)

REDACTED

2015 blocking almost everything.
« on: December 08, 2014, 02:42:00 AM »
So since updating to 2015 I'm been having a lot of problems running various things. Like I can't download stuff from many sites unless I turn off the web shield even if I put that site in exclusions.

And will stop various programs even when adding them to exclusions or turning off file system shield turning off the hardened mode and deep screen or anything else I can think including disabling all shields

Offline KevTech

Re: 2015 blocking almost everything.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 02:48:57 AM »
What sites and what files?

What web browser?

Only sites/files I have had blocked are malware sites/files I use for testing.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 03:08:52 AM »
http://www.ffevo.net/files/ and so far just various things I've downloaded from there.

IE 11

So just that it had actually quarantined the .dll those programs and had never told me it had done that and despite not even having run a scan since upgrading. Deleting them from quarantine and putting them back in seems to have worked at least for that. But don't know what to do with downloads except temporarily disable shields

Offline KevTech

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 03:58:19 AM »
If you want more control of Avast then set the shields to ask you what to do instead of automatically quarantine.

Setting > Active Protection

For each shield select Customize and then select Actions

Set to ask instead of fix automatically

Just to make sure the file is good (if you allow download) you could scan it at virustotal or metascan before opening it.

Some of the files I tried were stopped by Avast but I was told about it.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 07:29:30 AM »
If you want more control of Avast then...
...uninstall Avast, which is what I'm about to do if problems don't get resolved soon.

For the last 2 hours I've been trying to download drivers for ATI Radeon video card from the official AMD web site (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64) and it's impossible. Every time the download gets flagged as "Virus scan failed".
I have changed the actions to "Ask". I have stopped the Avast Antivirus service. I have disabled the Google Chrome Avast extensions and the file still gets blocked.

Avast too intrusive? Nahhhh!
A few weeks ago I copied an EXE I created in VB to another folder, the EXE was sent to the virus chest. I contacted tech support, sent them the file, and their best solution was to exclude the folder.

I am a Windows developer using Visual Studio (.NET). A few days ago I added an ADO to entities data class to a project. Visual Studio created a couple DLL's that were sent directly to the chest.

I have AdBlock extension on Chrome. Avast now redirects a link. I contacted tech support that came up with a genius solution, "disable some Avast web extension (I forgot the name)".

If I get a warning for a file that is flagged as being potentially dangerous I see 2 links at the bottom of the form, one to submit the file and one to set an exclusion on that file. The link to exclude doesn't do anything, no feedback, and no exclusion added.

What else is not working or am I going to discover for which the solution is DISABLE.

For many years I have installed Avast on many systems and advised many people to install it. Now that Avast as become the nuisance Norton AV became years ago I am advising against it. It's sad that such a good product went from something everybody loved to something everybody will soon hate.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »
HTTP blocking is rarely wrong. I'm not seeing any rise in warnings, so you're obviously visiting questionable places or places which used to host malware in the recent past.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 05:23:22 PM »
So I've put everything on ask... but that doesn't really help much. Sure it asks me first but there is no ignore option so still can't open the programs and even sending in dozens of false positive reports accomplish nothing every time until I add it to an exclusion and it sticks it will pop up and force me to take some kind of action that will shutdown said program or more. Seriously why isn't there some kind of option like hey I know wtf I'm doing run this program?

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 06:42:29 PM »
Hello,

I am having issues too. Avast, on and off, blocks kixeye.com, which I don't think is infected, but you never know.
I got it first on my notebook(Win 8.1), later on PC(Win 7).
But I got once positive also for google.com on the notebbok...which is bit too much I think.

Offline KevTech

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 07:45:07 PM »
For the last 2 hours I've been trying to download drivers for ATI Radeon video card from the official AMD web site (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64) and it's impossible.

I was able to download files from that link just fine with Avast running.

I even scanned them after download and no issues.

This was with Firefox and Avast Free.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »
No problems with IE11

Offline KevTech

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 11:42:37 PM »
Hello,

I am having issues too. Avast, on and off, blocks kixeye.com, which I don't think is infected, but you never know.
I got it first on my notebook(Win 8.1), later on PC(Win 7).
But I got once positive also for google.com on the notebbok...which is bit too much I think.

Site works fine for me.

All Avast setting are on default except for actions.

Your settings?

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 01:23:39 AM »
HTTP blocking is rarely wrong. I'm not seeing any rise in warnings, so you're obviously visiting questionable places or places which used to host malware in the recent past.
And obviously it's not only the warnings you're not seeing...I showed in my post a URL, did you see it...AMD official web site. Yes, i'm sure they distribute viruses. oh wait, they did last year but they promised they would try to quit  ;D

Offline 93fordgt

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 05:17:41 AM »
Hmm... so my question is should i even attempt to figure out mine wont update....? I am still running on 2014.9.0.2208, Automatic updates were on, however, it didn't do so even after turning it to manual update. Now i have the attention symbol, when i click resolve, it goes to download, takes a second say system is up to date then immediately goes back to the old version. I have already tried to repair Avast, I was going to do a fresh install but now i am hesitant to do so..  I am curious to see what others say about me staying with what I'm running or switch to the 2015 ???..?

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »
Stay away from 2015. I wish I had never installed it.