Author Topic: Avast issue?  (Read 1389 times)

REDACTED

Avast issue?
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:36:28 PM »
Hello,

Let me start with the basics on the Avast information:
Program Version - 2015.10.0.2208
Virus Definitions Version - 141207-2

Okay, so I did a brand new install, we are talking full wipe and reinstall since I just installed a SSD as my primary drive. Formatted and reinstalled Windows 7 Prof. from DVD. I just booted my computer up and was playing on Warcraft, noticed no real performance issue but my CPU gauge was going nuts at 100% usage. I checked, Warcraft was only using 2-4% of my quad core. However, Avastsvc.exe was using 80-95% of the CPU time.

I did some research on the issue and found older ones similar and tried their fixed, however, some of the options are either buried or not there in the newer versions. What I did try didn't work. I did try disabling all shields for 1hr. This dropped my CPU time down to 3-6%. I just re-enabled the shields and CPU time is between 4-9% with everything from Avast active again. AvastSvc.exe is now using 0-2% CPU.

Now onto the other parts I noticed. When the activity was maxing out the CPU time: Avast system tray icon was not spinning at all, meaning no active scans were being done.

I'm happy that disabling the shields and re-enabling them solved the issue for now, but was wondering if anyone could weigh in on possibilities of why it is doing this? I noticed this on a brand new install on my laptop I just bought as well.

Thank you all for reading, hoping to get some better insight.

REDACTED

Re: Avast issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:59:48 AM »
Updating my original post.

After several hours the usage then returned back to 70-100% CPU time. Once again, no scans active. Disabled shields for about 5 minutes to normalize usage and dropped back down to 5-6%