Author Topic: Pirate Bay was taken down!  (Read 5677 times)

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
Pirate Bay was taken down!
« on: December 10, 2014, 02:51:47 AM »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/file-sharing-site-the-pirate-bay-was-raided-by-swedish-polic

The Pirate Bay Server Hosting area, was raided by Swedish Police. Thoughts? What do you think Anonymous will do about that considering there stance on SOPA and PIPA? That will certainly grab their attention.

If I'm not mistaken, Anonymous took out a bunch of American Government websites because of the acts?

VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Pirate Bay was taken down!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:53:56 AM »
My thoughts about this is that because it can be used to transfer malware and it's transmitted from torrent.

I have used this site before to download musics and movies, but not anymore because sometimes malware gets into these downloaded files and causing havoc on the user's computer. I do download movies sometimes only from warezbb. This website has good reputation.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »
Maybe. I've never supported Torrenting itself rather the Freedom we should have not to be confined to what music we put on Video's. (So for example, you're playing BattleField 4, and you put some Epic Fight music is) then all of a sudden, video's being matched for a Copyrighted 3rd party music and you're video(s) are banned off of Youtube.

Is Youtube to MP3 considered torrenting?

But yes, I agree. With TPB down, we might see less cases of heavy torrenters. Now for the other sites (uTorrent, kickass Torrents etc etc). Hoepfully with the absence of TPB, some distant friends will stop torrenting (Long shot, but I can have hope!)
VOLUNTEER

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »
The Pirate Bay will be up soon.It happened before.
I'm downloading torrents through Filestream.me and I download only the files I want,
so no malware and other crap.Also I am testing Torrent Tornado add-on for Firefox and so far
it is good (no sharing).

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 11:49:41 AM »
Maybe. I've never supported Torrenting itself rather the Freedom we should have not to be confined to what music we put on Video's. (So for example, you're playing BattleField 4, and you put some Epic Fight music is) then all of a sudden, video's being matched for a Copyrighted 3rd party music and you're video(s) are banned off of Youtube.

Is Youtube to MP3 considered torrenting?

But yes, I agree. With TPB down, we might see less cases of heavy torrenters. Now for the other sites (uTorrent, kickass Torrents etc etc). Hoepfully with the absence of TPB, some distant friends will stop torrenting (Long shot, but I can have hope!)

Youtube to MP3 considered torrenting? That I don't know. Any musics that i see in youtube and I want to download that. I use this website to convert from youtube to mp3 format via here http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
Youtube to MP3 considered torrenting? That I don't know. Any musics that i see in youtube and I want to download that. I use this website to convert from youtube to mp3 format via here http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

Yeah, same. Which, is very little music. Always curious though to what limit is what.
VOLUNTEER

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 12:47:45 PM »
I wish people stopped blaming torrent for the spreading of malware.
Torrent is just a protocol to transfer files through the internet, just like http, ftp and such.
There is nothing wrong with it and it is fully legal to use it.

The main problem is that governments think they own the internet in their country.
While in fact the internet belongs to no-one.
Governments are conducting illegal activities if they restrict things, no mather how well they mean it.

They should focus on catching the people who are stealing movies,
and put them online even before the movie can be seen in a cinema and/or on tv.

Here we are not allowed to download any material that has copyright on it,
but we are allowed to record it from radio/tv.... ::)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »
Eddy. While it is true, that Torrent Protocols don't inject malcode into them, rather the malware creator uploads the file to be torrented in an executable format...

BUT, that being said. Why can sites lie TPB, not implement a system like Avast!'s in which you can only upload Media file (MP3, MP4 etc). It'd save a lot of headaches here, and make streaming a million times safer. It's also well known P2P network(s) are quite insecure and data can be stolen. I wouldn't trust it either way./
VOLUNTEER

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 01:11:34 PM »
@Michael,

We here in some countries in the  European Union have a general policy that it is forbidden to download from illegal sources
(copyrighted content). That is the law of the land, and sometimes the copyright on certain material  lasts 70 years.

In reality only (bulk)-uploaders are prosecuted so far, as for now no action is being taken against individual downloaders.

But as content industry does not like these practices to say the least, the download content can come intentionally riddled with malcode
to help discourage individual downloaders. That is through third party intervention throwing in manipulated torrent content.

I think a virut file infector would be enough nasty to remedy a torrenting habit in someone.  ;D

So if you like to take part in that Russian roulette it is up to you, I will stay away.

But when there are losses of 50 million dollars on fraudulent ad clicks, no one stirs a finger because it does not hurt "big income".
I often see no action taken against blackhat SEO spammers and redirects.
So standards still stay a bit double.

@Eddy, only allowed to record from radio and tv at home, not at the barber shop, only when you pay Buma, Stemra.
Well free of rights when you play your own composition on the piano there.

I was in Poland in a barber shop where they asked customers in a message not to listen in on the radio,
as this was only meant for the proprietor and his staff to listen, so they did not have to pay copyright holders.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 01:04:49 AM »
Hi folks,

Just stumbled on this link article. How can one then deny there is not a link somewhere between torrenting and cyvercrime.
Read: http://archive.news.softpedia.com/news/Pirated-Trojan-Infested-Windows-7-RC-Builds-Botnet-111445.shtml
Even with Softpedia I would keep an eye out for added unwanted goodies.

polonus

Offline digmor crusher

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 02:13:32 AM »
Polonus, did they hand out earplugs at the a barbershop? :o

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 03:29:10 PM »
Hi Michael,

BitTorrent is working on a new P2P browser in order to arrive at a new Internet protected against a situation where only "Gatekeepers" will decide our future, those interested in "Project  Maelstrom" can react here: http://utorrent.us5.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=a3baea4e54ff8e8b235488c11&id=508b75f69b

Damian

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »
What's even more  sad is that the co-founder of PB said that he was glad about this incident.Specifically he stated that PB had turned into an ad fest.(True if you ask me).
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »
The only pirate stuff I have anything to do with comes from Avast and it's a theme.
Pirate Bay and other torrents aren't anything I frequent. Been there, done that and had enough
infections because of it. My curiosity has long since been satisfies about what's available for "free"
from these sites.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »
Hi bob3160,

Agree with you. I have never even ventured out there, so I cannot show you a T-shirt  ;D or discuss it from live experience...
Always thought what it held could not be fully trusted, even the more so as the Gatekeepers themselves started to copy them with their bundling fests, and marketing ad & crap incorporated ruling the Interwebs now.
Hard enough to evade that line on the "normal" protocols now. This all caused by crumbling trust and ever enhancing greed!
Just like in the days of the  Wild  Wild West of old  round the year 1870 we could do with a good Online WWW Sheriff to keep those cybercriminals at bay.

polonus