Author Topic: Newbie Suggestions Please  (Read 22377 times)

CoJo

Newbie Suggestions Please
« on: November 01, 2003, 12:54:19 AM »
Hello to all! I have been at this computer since 7am and I am a bit cranky. Long story short, Norton missed a virus and my dell from h*** needed some tech support.
I am, obviously, now using Avast! and I don't know if I have it set up correctly. I do not have an icon in my tray. Perhaps a good night's sleep will help, but right now I feel stooppppiiiddddd ;Dand :-[
If the icon isn't showing, does that mean avast is not protecting my computer?
CoJo

Walker

Re:Newbie Suggestions Please
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 01:21:08 AM »
Hi CoJo, welcome to the forum.

If the Icon isn't there you 'probably' do not have a good avast installation... this link should explain more http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1605;start=msg9858#msg9858

Also, be very careful that Norton or any other A-V has been completely de-installed before installing avast. Have a search for 'norton' in the forums, you will find the horror stories.

Hope this helps, hope avast serves you well and you stick with it.

Shout if any more ??'

Walker.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 02:53:04 AM »
Also, be very careful that Norton or any other A-V has been completely de-installed before installing avast. Have a search for 'norton' in the forums, you will find the horror stories.
Walker.

Yeah!  ;D
Do you need help on Norton uninstalling?  ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 02:53:39 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

CoJo

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 02:22:53 PM »
good morning! ha! not so good here! I did the uninstall of Avast1, booted. reinstalled...still no icon and now I can't access my email on OE
sigh...
I'll take whatever help/direction is offerred...actually, I am begging at this point ;)
CoJo

Walker

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 02:30:57 PM »
I'll take whatever help/direction is offerred...

CoJo,

OK... the guy's will help, but we need the info to be able too  :)

Have you removed all traces of previous A-V programs? Did you try anything in the link I mentioned?.

What are the exact symptoms... what is happening/not happening?? ??

Walker
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 02:33:14 PM by Walker »

Walker

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 02:39:44 PM »
CoJo,

Also, what is your OS and e-mail client??

Is the Icon still missing??

Did it look as though Avast auto configured your mail accounts on installation or did you do it 'manually'?

CoJo

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2003, 04:30:36 PM »
thanks for the responses!
I did what was suggested in the link...
I think NA is completely removed...or it's very well hidden.
I using WinXP and OE as my email
I configured manually for OE--but it also had listed Netscape listed although I had to uninstall it months ago when Mozilla would not work correctly..
still no blue icon!

Y'all know the Dummies books? well, they are too advanced for me:(....seriously, this has almost wiped out my one brain cell!
CoJo

Walker

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 04:47:59 PM »
thanks for the responses!
I did what was suggested in the link...
I think NA is completely removed...or it's very well hidden.
I using WinXP and OE as my email
I configured manually for OE--but it also had listed Netscape listed although I had to uninstall it months ago when Mozilla would not work correctly..
still no blue icon!

Y'all know the Dummies books? well, they are too advanced for me:(....seriously, this has almost wiped out my one brain cell!
CoJo

Cojo,

I've never used it so I don't know the full problems, but from what you will find in these forums, you will see that it is quiet important to have ALL traces of Norton removed. Technical (one of the members) is good at this and hopefully he'll be back on the forums today.

Avast WILL work with your setup, we only need to establish what is going wrong. When you say you did the manual configuration, you set the 'dotted quads' (127.0.0.1 local host stuff) and the 'username changes in your Pop/smtp settings Yes/no?. Did you also manually change the Avast4.ini file ?.

When you say 'wiped out you e-mail' do you mean can't send/receive?. Can you successfully remove avast and reset your pop/smtp setting?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to find out where the problem is.

Fast

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2003, 04:53:18 PM »
Hi CoJo

before performing any changes, have you disabled the auto-restore function of your operating system ?
For what I've been told this should be an important issue when using XP.
Just a suggestion/ thinking about your problem...

Good Luck.

Fast.

CoJo

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2003, 04:55:38 PM »
HI!
sorry...my husband is dragging me off this computer right now! Just because we are going to Macon, GA to celebrate out 33rd wedding anniversary, he thinks I should stop in the middle of this important work.

When we get back this evening, I'll reread and redo anything suggested
I'll check on the following after I read what it means!
CoJo

.When you say you did the manual configuration, you set the 'dotted quads' (127.0.0.1 local host stuff) and the 'username changes in your Pop/smtp settings Yes/no?. Did you also manually change the Avast4.ini file ?.

Walker

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2003, 04:58:19 PM »
DO come back later CoJo.... we will get it working... promise.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2003, 05:14:19 PM »
BTW: Are you able to start the on-demand scanner ( at least in save mode)?
MfG Ralf

CoJo

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2003, 03:16:15 PM »
good morning all!
again this morning, I could not access my email and had to call tech support at bellsouth.net. The tech reset my information --replaced the information that avast! had placed as far as the quads 120.0.0.1--and then it worked.
Right now I am printing up the manual for avast! and am going to reread it completely, uninstall, then reinstall...and I will disable system restore on XP before doing it.
I still have no blue icon...but I now show 2 IM icons, both of which are disabled through "Shoot the Messenger" from Gibson's site.
But I can scan just by opening avast!...last night it picked up a total of 3 virus, but not ones I had heard of...CTX and Matyas. The scan showed traces of Norton but it was scanning too fast for me to pick up the location.
so I guess I will need advice on ridding my system of it.
Sorry this is so long!
and thank you very much for all your help and, especially your patience with me as I try to clean up and protect my computer.
CoJo

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2003, 03:27:03 PM »
The mentioned Viruses could be both 2 false alarm from Pandas pavdll.dll
MfG Ralf

CoJo

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2003, 03:43:21 PM »
Should I remove them from my "chest" if they are false alarms or leave them there?
Also, does my plan of doing another install sound all right?
thank you!
CoJo ::)