Author Topic: Newbie Suggestions Please  (Read 22372 times)

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:Newbie Suggestions Please
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2003, 03:58:31 PM »
Yes it is save to delete the files(in your chest). If you want to reinstall Avast, you should choose custumized installation with not Emailprotection/plugin. You can easily do it afterwards if you want.
You can post here a Hijackthis log of you want.
MfG Ralf

Walker

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2003, 04:00:21 PM »
Cojo,

When you have Avast installed, can you check what files are loaded...

Right mouse click on the 'time' in the 'Taskbar' and select 'Taskmanager' from the menu.
Click on the 'Processes' tab and check to see which of these programs ae running;-

aswUpdSv.exe
    ashMaiSv.exe
    ashServ.exe
    ashDisp.exe

Any/all ??

CoJo

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2003, 05:24:10 PM »
Cojo,

When you have Avast installed, can you check what files are loaded...

Right mouse click on the 'time' in the 'Taskbar' and select 'Taskmanager' from the menu.
Click on the 'Processes' tab and check to see which of these programs ae running;-

aswUpdSv.exe
    ashMaiSv.exe
    ashServ.exe
    ashDisp.exe

Any/all ??

ashServ.exe
aswUpdSv.exe
are the only ones showing as processing
CoJo

Walker

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2003, 06:18:17 PM »

CoJo,

Something definately amiss with your installation (stupid statement, you knew that  :) ). ashDisp is responsible for the Icon (to the best of my knowledge), that's why that's not showing.

I'm still concerned that it might have something to do with lingering Norton files. Trouble is I've never used Norton so never had to clean it out of a system... Let's give a shout for Technical (he never interupts when you want him too<joking Tech>) or one of the Avast team.

Any thoughts Vlk, Technical. ?? ?? ??

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2003, 06:35:18 PM »
You can try to run ashDisp.exe manually: navigate to the avast directory (in Windows Explorer), and click on ashDisp - either an error message should appear, or a blue (a)-ball icon down there, next to the clock...

Anyway, I don't see how this all could be connected in any way to the former Norton installation.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Walker

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2003, 06:45:39 PM »
Anyway, I don't see how this all could be connected in any way to the former Norton installation.

Any other suggestions then Vlk, seemingly an Avsat re-install isn't working  :-\
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 06:46:18 PM by Walker »

Fast

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2003, 07:57:38 PM »
Hi CoJo, the 2 disabled IM-icons are definitily not the result of Steve's "shoot the messsenger". This program just disables the windows-messsaging system, not instant-messaging programs.
What worries me is that the 2 disabled icons in your tray could have been caused by the same problem that prevents the Avast-icon from showing up in your systray.
Have you got a reg-cleaner tool like jv16 on your pc ?
You might have a look with it to see if any obsolete entries are messing up your registry.

Regards,  Fast.

CoJo

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2003, 08:09:31 PM »
thanks everyone for the suggestions!
no, I don't have a reg cleaner (?) but it sounds like I need it :)
sigh...I did not realize just how little I knew about computers until all this happened...but I will use it as a way of becoming more learned about them (hopefully!)

ok, I'm going to go back to all the suggestions, redo, and start over...I have to...my email is not working at all now!

peace, CoJo

CoJo

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2003, 08:43:58 PM »
IT WORKED!!! :)

I now show the icon for avast! and the VRDB generator and my email is working...
I don't know what happened but wow! 8)...I did the XP restore also and went through all documents, etc that had any reference to Norton...maybe all it together helped?

ok, another question, Please? with all this showing now, does it mean that my email is being scanned for viruses? incoming and outgoing?
or do I have to do something else?

thank you, thank you!
CoJo

You can try to run ashDisp.exe manually: navigate to the avast directory (in Windows Explorer), and click on ashDisp - either an error message should appear, or a blue (a)-ball icon down there, next to the clock...

Thanks
Vlk

Fast

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2003, 09:06:26 PM »
Hi CoJo, when you send or receive an email, you should see a little icon in your systrai near the clock, for just a second or two, with a litlle blue dot in it.
If not, no problem.
You can set it up like this: go to start/programs/avast  and then click on mail-protection wizzard.
Follow the steps, its just a matter of a few clicks, filling in your pop and smtp server.
Depending on the email-client you use, you might have to set up your pop and smtp configuration again.
This should be easy, something like cojo@belsouth.com#pop3.belsouth.com in your username. For pop and smtp you set it to 127.0.0.1.
If you use Outlook you dont have to do this last one.
Sorry for my bad english, it is not my native language.
Good Luck.

CoJo

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2003, 09:11:07 PM »
Hi! Your English is great...

I'll follow your suggestions about the email. I really don't like Outlook Express but don't really know which one is better!

Thank you for your help.
Peace,
CoJo

Fast

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2003, 09:13:40 PM »
Oops I forgot, directly after you set up the wizzard for email protection, FIRST check if it works already (depending on your email-prog). If so, you DON'T have to reconfigure your popsettings in your email-client.
Bye.

CoJo

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2003, 09:18:48 PM »
OK! thanks for letting me know

Peace,
CoJo

Fast

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2003, 09:19:01 PM »
Well Cojo, there are a lot of email-clients and all of them have their pro's and cons.
To start with, Outlook-express is ok. At least it's easy to use and well integrated in Windows.
But it has it's security vulnerabilities.
Please go to options/safety and put the safety settings to the internet-explorer restricted zone high.
That helps.
I'm not sure if the terms I use for the settings  are correct because I use a Dutch version of windows.
When your a bit ferther in using email, you could try another program like Pegasus, iScribe, Eudora or Vivian-mail.
But for now it's ok and the best thing is: YOU got it working again !

Bye now.

CoJo

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2003, 09:28:44 PM »
all right...since it took so long to get it working, I'll just stay with it for awhile.

thanks again!
CoJo