Author Topic: START UP REPAIRS  (Read 5341 times)

Offline Bassmaster

START UP REPAIRS
« on: November 28, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
We had a few computers not boot up correctly this week.  Seemed to start right after the update released by avast to address the issue with the windows 8 computers not behaving correctly after that Microsoft update discussed in another post.  However my startup issues are with some windows 7 pc's.  I was forced to do a system restore so I can log in.  Once logged in, I saw that Avast had a red mark going thru it.  I needed to uninstall and reinstall avast on all the PC's with this Startup issue.  After the reinstall, I needed to browse out to the location of our license file otherwise the installations would all be running in trial mode.  Everything went back to normal once the license file got updated on the computers.

Has anyone else had this problem this week?  It happened to 4 of our PCs on Wednesday and 3 computers this morning.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: START UP REPAIRS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 04:32:34 PM »
I'm not a expert on the business edition(s) so don't take my word for it,
but if I'm correct it can take a few hours before the client pc's pull the license from the server.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:12:36 PM »
We have ran into a similar issue. We were out for thanksgiving, on Monday a handful of 7s were stuck in startup repair mode, today even more are. Although it appears logging in safe mode and uninstalling and reinstalling avast corrects the issue.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »
We had about 50 Win7 machines with this issue Monday morning too. BSOD Bug Check code 0x1000007e. Tries to run Startup Repairs which doesn't work. Boot into Safe Mode and uninstall Avast and the machine restarts normally. Re-install Avast and everything is still working fine. I Thought it might have been a bad update from Tuesday 11-23-2014 which was the last day of school before our break for Thanksgiving, but today I walked into about 5 more computers with different hardware that had this same issue.
Sure would like to find the root cause of this because at about ~10 minutes per machine it's getting very OLD.

Offline Bassmaster

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:14:23 PM »
I've also experienced on 2 PC's that if the repair is successful the PC looses the trust relationship to the network.  Avast what's going on?   This issue seemed to start last Wednesday with everyone.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »
I have investigated some of the failed computers and noticed that the aswsnx.sys is version 8.0.11603.401 (Modified 11/25/2014) while the ones that are working correctly are 8.0.11603.399

It was stated that Avast team updated aswsnx.sys in order to correct the issue with KB3000850 (which only affected windows 8.1 systems) I am curious if that update got mistakenly sent out to other OSs or if the other ones are going to get this update and fail eventually.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »
Our 32 bit Vista machines started doing this recently.   It is the "other" patch...  KB3011780 - if it installs before avast gets updated to the latest engine, bad things start to happen.

Fix seems to be:  Reboot the machine in safe mode with networking, uninstall KB3011780, do not reboot, go into the avast installer (from programs and features) and do an update there, while in safe mode with networking...  let avast reboot the machine after it is done updating...  reinstall KB3011780...

Offline Bassmaster

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:32:26 PM »
Where is this aswsnx.sys file located?  I'm not seeing it when I search for it.

Offline Bassmaster

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »
I found the location of this file. 

Avast is this change meant to only comedown to Windows 8 OS's and no other OS types?  What about Windows server 2012, 2008R2 etc.   I'm petrified to power down my servers or restart them now fearing that this issue could also happen to them.  They are all showing aswsnx.sys version 8.0.11603.399.

Its ridiculous that we would need to go thru all these steps.   We can't be playing games with a live environment!

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »
I have the same issue in our school district, calls started last Wednesday and continue through today.  Win7 machines with startup repair or BSOD.
Booting to safe mode, uninstalling Avast rebooting and re-installing has fixed the problem so far.  42 machines and counting.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 08:56:43 AM »
Hello,
thanks for notice. I reported it to our QA to test.

Milos

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 05:32:49 PM »
I've also experienced on 2 PC's that if the repair is successful the PC looses the trust relationship to the network.  Avast what's going on?   This issue seemed to start last Wednesday with everyone.

Your in a Domain?

If so, that isn't avast!. Our School Network system has the same issue (Usually only affects a few computers on any given week). That's an issue the the network and the computer. I believe the fix is to take the computer out of the domain, and then put it back in. Don't take me 100% on that, because I'm only 16 and not the technician here. (However, I am pretty familiar with how things run here)
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.