Author Topic: Avast Mac Security 2015 high CPU usage by File System Shield  (Read 5299 times)

REDACTED

Avast Mac Security 2015 high CPU usage by File System Shield
« on: December 08, 2014, 05:21:02 PM »
Version 10.2 (43268)

I've had to disable the file system shield due to persistent high CPU utilization that renders the Finder application virtually unusable.   

Once I disable it, performance returns to normal.  I can't be certain as the problem has been around for a little while, but I suspect it arrived with the most recent update. 

If anyone has had a similar experience or is aware of a solution, please advise.

Thanks,
Adam

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mity

• Avast team
Re: Avast Mac Security 2015 high CPU usage by File System Shield
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:06:52 PM »
Version 10.2 (43268)

I've had to disable the file system shield due to persistent high CPU utilization that renders the Finder application virtually unusable.   

Once I disable it, performance returns to normal.  I can't be certain as the problem has been around for a little while, but I suspect it arrived with the most recent update. 

If anyone has had a similar experience or is aware of a solution, please advise.

Thanks,
Adam

Adam, we are not aware of any change in the 43268 which could cause this. However it is difficult to make any conclusions as we cannot reproduce the issue. Hence it would be really helpful if you could provide more info about the issue:

(1) OS X version?
(2) Which process eats the CPU?
(3) Can you elaborate which Finder actions are problematic?
(4) Which actions in Finder do trigger the issue?
(5) Where the issue happens or wherte is most visible (E.g. can you specify the type of filesystem, and take some directory where you see the problem as easily visible and create its listings
  • ).

(6) Can you make some time measurement of the problematic action while having the shield enabled and disabled, so we can get an idea how big the issue is?

• You can create the directory listing on command line. Open Terrminal.app (in /Applications/Utilities) and type the following commands:

cd /the/problematic/directory
ls -l

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 03:29:04 AM »
I have been having a similar problem for the past week or so.  My MacBook Air becomes incredibly unresponsive -- I can't type, I can't open windows, I can't open task manager without waiting for tens of seconds before something happens.  In addition, my mac has restarted itself at least once.  Prior to this, the MacBook Air worked flawlessly.

After investigating what was happening, I discovered that com.process.avast.(sorry I can't remember which) was using up 100% of the CPU cycles doing something.  I want to say it was the filesystem, but I am not positive it was.  I can say, that a com.avast.X process was bringing my machine to its knees and made it unusable.  Because I needed to use my computer, I kept killing the com.avast.X process and I would get about 30 seconds of time before it re-started itself and hogged all of the CPU again.

The problem comes and goes and I don't know what is causing it.

I am on an MBA running 10.9.5 and Avast 10.2. 

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 03:36:56 AM »
The problem just happened again, and the process hogging all of the CPU was com.avast.daemon.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 01:39:56 PM »
Same problem, tried to disable all shield but didn't work. Force killed com.avast.daemon, CPU returned to normal. wtf?