Author Topic: Ran Grimefighter, now windows won't boot  (Read 3945 times)

REDACTED

Ran Grimefighter, now windows won't boot
« on: December 09, 2014, 04:21:29 AM »
Ran grimefighter and now windows won't boot, not even in safe mode.  I called tech support and they want me to pay $119 for them to fix the problem caused by their product.  What a racket!  I have been a paying subscriber of their Anti Virus for 5 yrs.  If I can't get them to solve this issue without paying I will no longer be a customer,  I will stop recommending their products.  I have never been so angry and frustrated after speaki g with their tech support.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
Re: Ran Grimefighter, now windows won't boot
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:02:52 PM »
Hi djrechen,

Apologies not only for the program issue but also for the unsatisfactory info you got from our support.

I am checking with our Engineering team now to see what we can advise to allow you to boot into Windows.  Once you do that, you should start GrimeFighter again and revert the changes made in the previous cleaning so you won't face the issue again.

Best regards,

Davidek

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
Scroll down to "If you cannot  Boot the computer".

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:39:44 PM »
Davidek -
If I can't keep the changes that Grimefighter makes, then the program is useless to me, so please have refund processed

Eddy -
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 04:27:20 PM »
Eddy,  thanks for the suggestion, but it did not work.

I purchased a hard drive reader to back up my C drive, and I was able to restore to "out of box" configuration using the Toshiba restore option, the MS one did not work.  I then had to restore all of my data to the hard drive.  All told, I spent about 25 hrs trying to get my computer working because of the damage done by Grimefighter.

Still waiting for the callback from a supervisor that was supposed to come in 24-48 hrs from my first call - that was 156 hrs ago.  The only thing worse than the Grimefighter tool has been the customer service of the support desk.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
Hi djrechen,

Please post your ticket number here and I'll escalate it within our refund team.

Best regards,

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
BJE-143-52891

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »
Hi djrechen,

This ticket has been sent to the refund team and asked for it to be expedited.  Should be refunded today.

Best regards,

Davidek