Author Topic: VRDB  (Read 4910 times)

terri

VRDB
« on: September 08, 2005, 04:19:49 PM »
Hi all,

I am fairly new to using avast and am having a bit of a problem with the VR..  I know you need to check the generate VRDB as soon as u turn on your computer when it starts up.

My only question is "why" does it consistantly stop running and I have to keep rechecking the generate.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: VRDB
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 04:32:51 PM »
My only question is "why" does it consistantly stop running and I have to keep rechecking the generate.
You should learn about VRDB. Maybe clicking FAQ in my signature and browsing a little.
VRDB is updated every 21 days (default). It's not projected to be updated every day.
It's an option to repair executable files, keeps last 3 versions of the information needed to repair.
If you update daily, you can just 'store' infected information if you got infected.
To change the default value, click Settings in my signature  ;)
The best things in life are free.

terri

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 04:47:25 PM »
Well i read quite a few posts about this and from what I can see is that it does not have to be running continuiosly.  Hopefully, I am correct on this part as it is a pain to look down and see that it is not doing anything.

Thank you for your quick reply btw. :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 05:00:29 PM »
Shouldn't this thread be in another forum?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 05:55:54 PM »
Well i read quite a few posts about this and from what I can see is that it does not have to be running continuiosly. Hopefully, I am correct on this part as it is a pain to look down and see that it is not doing anything.

Thank you for your quick reply btw. :)
How have you set it up to generate the VRDB? - if you have used either generate when idle or screensaver, then it will only be able to do a little of the generation of the vrdb whilst the system is idle or the screen saver is running. So this could take some time.

Personally I do a manual generation which takes about 7 minutes on my system. I do this every two weeks, slightly earlier than the default as a part of my regular system maintenance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security