Author Topic: Avast free reboots my router every day  (Read 7887 times)

REDACTED

Avast free reboots my router every day
« on: December 09, 2014, 03:06:46 PM »
Thanks Avast for causing me a week of frustration, calls to my ISP and eventually costing me £35!

I have been getting router disconnections every day, at the same time every 24 hours for the last couple of weeks with no idea what was causing them.
In Windows Event Viewer I get a message each time it happens.

Event ID 1002, Dhcp Client.
The IP address lease 192.168.0.2 for the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxx has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

So yesterday I uninstalled Avast out of curiosity, and what do you know? No disconnection or error that day.
Today I reinstalled Avast and had a look around and came across an option for a Network Scan.
So I ran that and each time I would get the message I wasn't connected to the internet, the router would reset and I got the same old DHCPNACK error in windows event log. Happened three times in a row now.

So what is Avast doing to my network every 24 hours that causes it to disconnect??????

I have now uninstalled this menace and in the end it has cost me £35 for a new router from my ISP as they had no clue what was causing the problem.

Thanks Avast!  >:( >:( >:(

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:17:16 PM by Bob488 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Router disconnections every 24 hours
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 04:37:52 PM »
What os/sp?
What exact version of avast?
Do you have anything sheduled at that time?
What modem/router?
How do you connect to it?
Have you tried setting a static IP instead of using a dynamic on?

Ask your money back from your ISP and get a decent one.
- A decent ISP doesn't charge anything for replacing a router.
- A decent ISP would have found the problem and solved it.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 06:06:34 PM »
Windows 7
The latest version of Avast 2015.
Nothing scheduled.
Sagemcom F@ST2504n.
Wireless connection.
Yes I have tried a static IP.

ISP is SKY.
How could an ISP diagnose a problem with faulty third party software?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »
I did asked for:
- os and sp
- exact version of avast

How could an ISP diagnose a problem with faulty third party software?
It is called knowledge.
Wireless connection.
What happens if you use a wire?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 06:40:56 PM »
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Avast free - 2015.10.0.2208
Using a wire isn't an option.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »
Why isn't using a wire for testing not a option?

Besides that, I did a little research and it seems to be a known problem with a firmware update that Sky rolled out for that router make/model.
Here is one of the many posts about it:
http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Unlimited-Lite-Connect-broadband/Connection-dropping-on-Sagem-f-st2504n-only-since-7-16a4N-UNI/td-p/1882104
Amother (strong) indication that your ISP's (Sky) support center sucks.

Install the original latest firmware from the router/modem manufacturer and see if the problem is solved.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 11:37:12 PM »
Using a wire isn't an option because it's not a wired problem or wireless.
The firmware has been fine on my router for over a year now so I don't see why you are getting at that.
I've had plenty of different ISP's over the years and SKY is one of the better ones.

And the" known problem" you "think it obviously is" relates to something completely different.
Some people with any ISP will have the occasional problem. That is the feeble effort that you have linked to.

The "problem" IS "AVAST" was doing something to my router causing it to drop connection every 24 hours.

It has gone away since uninstalling AVAST! Fact.
I have read countless problems about AVAST since coming on here only yesterday.
That is why I came on here asking for advice. What is Avast doing every 24 hours to my network?

The problem is AVAST as has been demonstrated. Nothing wrong with my ISP.

So much for the support, all I get for reporting a problem with their software is a faceful of stinking attitude of I know best. Yeah right. Uninstall Avast = problem solved.
You really need to get off your high horse with your attitude Eddy!

Anyway I'm outta here.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 12:19:43 AM »
Avast is turning into Norton. Glad to be rid of it. Had an evening of streaming Spotify with no cutouts. Fantastic. Bye Avast.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »
The only one with a attitude here is you and you are ignorant as well.
Using a wire sure is a option, it will rule out possible causes.

The firmware is not fine as you can see at the many problem reports about it.

If you remove avast and it works, that doesn't mean it is avast at fault.
It only show that avast can be at fault.

has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1
That means your router is not accepting the request that was send by Windows.

You should have disabled the avasts shields one at a time to see if any of them was causing the problem.

A problem will not solve itself by running away from it.
I have read countless problems about AVAST since coming on here only yesterday.
Ofcourse you did. People come here if they have a problem, not if everything is working fine as avast does for over 230.000.000 people. You would have many years of reading to do if they did all post here. And if you did, you would say "Hé, only a very few people have a problem".

You came here asking for help/advice, but you are reluctant to listen.

REDACTED

Re: Avast free reboots my router every day
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 06:59:44 PM »
don't normally post, but simply had to considering the 'helpfull' responses.

similar problem here. run a sky router, only use ipad and 2 iphones. never have problems with my connections to the internet.

currently helping a friend with his dell laptop. he had issues at home - not able to access his internet.

turned on the dell and linked wireless to my router. within minutes my router was cutting out. no access for dell, iphone or ipad.

scratching head for a few days. ipad connection flaky which is far from normal.

uninstalled avast. no issues.

not a stab at avast. just suggestion that this needs to be looked at.
x

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 07:13:11 PM »
Reference Sky routers I have one and it tends to disconnect when a phone call comes through.  Sky are not very helpful about this.  Is it a similar problem ?

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 08:09:43 PM »
One thing I do have in the Dlink Router is QoS engine which has helped in past to not have my VoIP phone calls affect things.
Not sure SKY routers have QoS or other traffic shaping/prioritizing settings but worth a Google.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:34:44 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »
Reference Sky routers I have one and it tends to disconnect when a phone call comes through.  Sky are not very helpful about this.  Is it a similar problem ?

I do "friend support" for a bunch of people, and two of them had similar Sky issues (connection problems when the phone rings). One was traced to problems with the internal house wiring (ring wire issues), the other an incorrectly fitted filter.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »
within minutes my router was cutting out. no access for dell, iphone or ipad.

scratching head for a few days. ipad connection flaky which is far from normal.

uninstalled avast. no issues.

Not sure what you mean by "flaky" - wifi disconnecting? wifi running slow? wifi connection perfect but poor network access? good network access but poor WAN access? good WAN access but no internet connectivity?

It would seem extraordinary that AV software running on one machine could influence the router connectivity of another unless it either was gaining access to the router itself (for which it would need a password) or transferring so much data that creates something like a denial-of-service issue.

Also, worth noting that simply uninstalling Avast and seeing it seemingly fix the problem doesn't necessarily mean it's Avast that's causing the problem as it could easily be coincidence. Personally I would never blame any software for a problem unless I could replicate the problem by turning off/on or uninstalling/installing the thing that seemed to "fix it" at least a couple of times (with everything else remaining identical).

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »
One other thing I forgot to mention.......one "typical" reason for PC disconnect and router reboot (or really ISP lease renewal as opposed to a physical reboot) is DNS issues.  Many routers have DNS Relay function that "mitigates" DNS Server "glitches" but there are times when the DNS servers bork.......Comcast in USA has reputation for this.  This type issue can drive you nuts since totally random.........but you can look in Router log for clues.  One way to test if you think is change you DNS addresses in the router........alot of times your ISP provides alternates.......Google has their own, I even use OpenDNS as part of my security layer.  I'd make the changes in your router, not at PC level.......changing this takes about 30 seconds in your router......easy to switch back too.

To change your settings on a router:
    In your browser, enter the IP address to access the router's administration console.
    When prompted, enter the password to access network settings.
    Find the screen in which DNS server settings are specified.

Google DNS
Preferred: 8.8.8.8
Alternate: 8.8.4.4

OpenDNS
Preferred: 208.67.222.222
Alternate: 208.67.220.220
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:21:02 AM by thekochs »