Author Topic: Avast & Microsoft Windows Updates [Thread To Post Results, OK or Issues ?]  (Read 220564 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast & December 10th Windows Updates OK ?
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 03:27:22 PM »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 03:33:14 PM »
Did you install it?  Guess I'll check for updates on my Windows 7 computer.

REDACTED

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »
Did you install it?  Guess I'll check for updates on my Windows 7 computer.

Not yet...have not had chance.

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 03:37:46 PM »
Anyone tried the new W7 IE11 KB3025390 update ?
Sad no one trusts MS updates anymore.....never been a fan of MS and they've sunk to new lows in quality.  :(

Installed it this morning.  Everything appears to be working fine - no problems with avast nor with IE11.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

REDACTED

Re: Avast & December Windows Updates, OK ?
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 03:57:43 PM »
Just updated on six W7 64bit PCs.....took about 2 minutes for System Restore to create restore point and update took less than minute to install.  It did not requite a reboot but I ALWAYS reboot after every software update.

BTW, just my two cents but since MS has had SO many problems I'd change your update from auto update to "download and let me know when ready".  I also do this in all software programs....example: Avast.  I find a quick Google or Forum search can sometimes save you a TON of headaches on brand new releases that have bugs.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Avast & December Windows Updates, OK ?
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 07:34:34 AM »
Just checked and this update was automatically installed on my Windows 8.1 computer this morning.
Just updated on six W7 64bit PCs.....took about 2 minutes for System Restore to create restore point and update took less than minute to install.  It did not requite a reboot but I ALWAYS reboot after every software update.

BTW, just my two cents but since MS has had SO many problems I'd change your update from auto update to "download and let me know when ready".  I also do this in all software programs....example: Avast.  I find a quick Google or Forum search can sometimes save you a TON of headaches on brand new releases that have bugs.
Might want to change your MS update settings to "download but let me decide" too, especially after the last debacle you just went through.  You can always use Google to check things out a day or two later, and install all updates if all looks good, or uncheck/hide the ones others are reporting problems with and do the rest of them then.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

Re: Avast & Microsoft Windows Updates [Thread To Post Results, OK or Issues ?]
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 12:04:12 PM »
The Windows update has been running for 3 hours now and has my Win7  laptop running flat out (can just about manage to type this).

Looking at Avast (version 2015 10.0.2208) Realtime data, I can see endless Windows activity, but also some random activity related to my personal files.

Any idea what's happening here? Advice please. Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 05:04:13 PM »
The Windows update has been running for 3 hours now and has my Win7  laptop running flat out (can just about manage to type this).

Looking at Avast (version 2015 10.0.2208) Realtime data, I can see endless Windows activity, but also some random activity related to my personal files.

Update apparently completed after 5 hours :-[  and all is now working normally. Can I assume MS has auto-fixed their problematical update?

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »

Update apparently completed after 5 hours :-[  and all is now working normally. Can I assume MS has auto-fixed their problematical update?

I assume you are not talking about just this last update.......but had others prior not installed ?
If so, I did have one PC that did run for a LONG time.....but finally finished.
To be honest, hard to tell other than re-boot couple times, re-check manually if Windows has any updates, spend day or two using PC a lot and see how responds.

REDACTED

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 01:13:42 AM »
UPDATE: I've re-named the thread title to be more generic on Windows Update "dates" so perhaps to use as an ongoing thread.  Once new updates come out we can start the next reply/post with the date & KB info.  I think this subject is one that is important to health of PCs and the interaction with Avast obviously key.  Anyway, if all is well perhaps a good thread for quick check before you dive into new updates blindly.

Seems as of this post we are past the ill-fated November updates and the December patches.
See you in January. :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:15:15 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2014, 01:41:58 PM »
I've taken your advice and checked performance over a couple of days. Sure enough, everything has been stable since the downloads completed.

I have to admit to never really paying attention to MS updates over the years, so obviously they've not caused me grief before this. Checking the update history, I see that on the day in question - Dec 19th - there were 120 downloads. During the whole of November there were fewer than 20. My settings allow for updates to be installed automatically (see attached), is that the best option?

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:46:23 PM by smartpaul »

REDACTED

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 01:55:50 PM »
My settings allow for updates to be installed automatically (see attached), is that the best option?

It is just my opinion but software packages like Windows, iTunes, iOS (for iPhone), Avast need some research before you blindly install latest updates.  I am BIG fan of Avast but not fan at all of their Fall releases.....I wait for example six months to have Avast get all their bugs out.  For me, these type software packages have catastrophic effects if something goes wrong...at a minimum you'll spend day(s) getting things back to normal.  So, the risk/reward of being on the "bleeding" edge of updates is not worth it.  So, to your question I set my updates for basically the "let me know there are updates and I'll download and install".  You get the pop-up and this can be a notice to do some quick Googling. I can tell you some research time up front can save a whole lot of headaches.

REDACTED

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »
Thanks, that sounds like good advice.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
Haven't had any problems even with the reported trouble updates.
Windows 8 and 10 all updates without problems.
Now waiting for the next build update for Windows 10.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline beegolden

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2015, 01:09:03 PM »
UPDATE: I've re-named the thread title to be more generic on Windows Update "dates" so perhaps to use as an ongoing thread.  Once new updates come out we can start the next reply/post with the date & KB info.  I think this subject is one that is important to health of PCs and the interaction with Avast obviously key.  Anyway, if all is well perhaps a good thread for quick check before you dive into new updates blindly.

Seems as of this post we are past the ill-fated November updates and the December patches.
See you in January. :)

Thanks so much!  Happy New Year!
Win 7 SP1 64-bit; Avast, Free