Author Topic: Deployment Package Available?  (Read 5064 times)

REDACTED

Deployment Package Available?
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »
I'm in the IT department in a school district, we have started using Avast this school year.

We have the Enterprise Console setup on a server and do regular deployments but, our devices are connected and disconnected throughout the district at abnormal times. I would like to put a deployment package (based on our installation package on the server) onto a flash drive so we can deploy Avast on computers individually.

Can this be done?

thanks in advance.

REDACTED

Re: Deployment Package Available?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
any help with this?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
 :o

this forum is not very helpful. I've asked a few questions and had zero help. I've even PM'd the moderator of this section and that has gone unanswered.

Offline Chad-bisd

• Hopeful, yet discontent
    • Beckville ISD
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:26:52 PM »
Avast! gives you the product for free and wants you to pay for the premium support.  I think it still comes out cheaper per seat than anything else I've used in the past 5 years.

That being said...

I don't think there is a way for the deployment package to be created.  You might look in the subfolders of the Avast! EPS program on the server and see if there is MSI package or similar hiding out.  I'm sure this isn't the officially supported way, but it might help.

Seems that under C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Enterprise Administration\InstPkgs there is a file called Setup.exe

Try it out and see if that's what you need.  Just make sure the computer account in the EAC is in the correct container so the settings are applied correctly.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
Chad, first, thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.

There is a setup.exe but, I've tried to deploy Avast using it and it deploys a full blown version with every component and every shield. Even if the computer is in the correct container is ECA.

Avast! gives you the product for free and wants you to pay for the premium support.

I'm beginning to believe this and if it worked out of the box correctly, I'm sure we would think about it. We've had a lot of issues with getting Avast on all our computers. A LOT

Offline Chad-bisd

• Beckville ISD
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 03:44:24 PM »
Even if it deploys the full product, does it refresh the settings and come in line with your policy after the refresh period (30 mins by default)?

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 05:22:22 PM »
Chad, no it doesn't.

I haven't tested to see if it picks up the settings once it is discovered by the Console, I'll give that a try and see if that works.

Thanks, for sparking that idea.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 04:15:02 PM »
An avast support rep helped me create a deployment package.

Basically, you have to deploy your installation package to a folder instead of a computer, it will create an .exe file with your settings applied to it.

I appreciate the support, it was free, however it took over 2 weeks to get someone to finally help us out.

Offline Chad-bisd

• Beckville ISD
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 03:16:14 PM »
I have not seen the "deploy to folder" workflow. Is that in the EAC interface or does it take other steps to configure?

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »
It is located in the deployment task area of EAC, click properties on your current deployment task and its under the install setting.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 06:32:01 PM »
It looks like this:

We then run "start /wait Avast.exe" as part of our computer setup workflow (We use Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and that command can be added as an application with the source files linked to the folder share that avast drops the files in).