Author Topic: Avast 4 reboots PC!  (Read 5868 times)

estatik

Avast 4 reboots PC!
« on: March 18, 2003, 06:49:02 AM »
 ???I'm been having a recent problem with Avast 4 rebooting while I'm running a through(with archives checked) scan of the HD.  Everything is fine until about halfway through, my PC will automatically reboot itself.  I have all the current updates, files, etc. and this reboot problem has been driving me crazy.  I've checked the power supply, system, os, memory, etc. and nothing seems to be the culprit.  And yes, it only does this when I run the scan.  I have tried to run the scan in safe mode but alas, PC reboots.

winME, Celeron 900Mhz, 128MB

Oh, btw, I don't run a screen saver.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2003, 06:51:19 AM by estatik »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Avast 4 reboots PC!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 09:17:43 AM »
...while I'm running a through(with archives checked) scan of the HD

:o :o :o
If archive scanning is turned off, it does not happen?

But come on, a REBOOT? A REBOOT???  :o   ???

There must be some really tricky file on your disk that just crashes avast. We'd need more help from your side -- we ultimately need to get the file. Please turn on the generation of the report file (with all files written to the report). The crashing file will be somewhere "near" the last file that will be in the report (due to disk caching and other stuff, it's unlikely that the report file in its entirety will be flushed to the disk before the reboot - hence it will not be simply the last file in the report)...  :(

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

estatik

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 01:16:57 AM »
Hey vlk,

Ran a through scan of HD w/o archives checked and everything went well.  Tried the scan with archinves checked and PC didn't reboot!  Could this be a fluke on my part?  Or perhaps just one of Murphy's Laws taken possesion of my PC ::)???  Well, since everything's is working fine now, let me just add that I have tried NAV2002 and McCrappee 7.0 and Avast 4 is still by far the best A/V prog out there!  Keep up the excellent work and wish the best for the future of Avast!  

¤estatik¤

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 12:52:18 PM »
Thanks for your praise, estatik, but anyway, your post makes me little nervous -- too bad it's not possible to simulate the problem anymore... Now we can only speculate what it was really about... :(

Thanks again,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

deadcoat

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 07:58:01 AM »
I have the same problem. I recently updated avast 4 home edition to the latest one.
I am running an ancient computer win98se 166mhz 56mb ram.
I run the anti vuris with thorough scan archive enabled.
In the resident scanner I set the it scan all files and the box for files that will not be scaned I removed all except for swap.
When it starts up after the memory scan when the user interface pops up I get a active x control warning. So I choose not to run active x than the progam runs fine for about 30 minutes or so. Then it either stalls my computer or reboots it. The last time I got an active x warning my computer had a virus.
In the news I have noticed something about avast using winpopup. I also run spybot and it considers winpopup as spyware but it was not found when I ran spybot.
Checked the log found an error log.  it read something like this odbc function sqlconnect failed odbc microsoft access driver could not find file.
I do not know if the newest version of avast 4 home edition has a bug or if some how I got an virus that avast can not find or attacks avast directly.
Thanks for any help.