Author Topic: Avast home an Incredimail  (Read 3551 times)

computerguy

Avast home an Incredimail
« on: June 27, 2008, 08:57:54 PM »
Hi,
I'm using avast home for antivirus and Incredimail as  email client. Everything worked good until couple of days when Incredimail drastically slowed down when downloading new messages. The job that took 5 min. now takes 5 hrs (I get lots of mails).
I terminated "Internet mail" provider in avast but nothing changed. When I shut avast completely, everything works fine.
Does anybody have a solution to this? Now I have to shut down avast every time I want to receive new mail.
Thanks!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Avast home an Incredimail
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:39:27 AM »
Rather than shutting down avast completely you could try shutting down the other providers you have running one by one to see which one appears to be causing the slowdown.

The fact that shutting down the Internet Mail provider did not change anything makes me wonder if you are using a non-standard port to receive your email on an account in Incredimail. What ports do you use to receive your email?  Have you made any changes to Incredimail recently - for example turned on any logging? 

Are you using any spam filtering system along with Incredimail?

computerguy

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 04:01:08 AM »
I didn't make any changes to incredimail and I'm not using any spam filter. Actually everything worked OK untill las Monday.
Will trie disabling providers one by one, but I want them all up and working.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 07:10:28 AM »
This is suggested as problem determination rather than as a solution.  Once we know the provider that appears to be in conflict with Incredimail we have a better chance to drill down and find the basic cause of your concern.

olddog

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 07:26:30 AM »
Computerguy,

Given the apparent contentious nature of Incredimail (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IncrediMail and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:IncrediMail) I am prompted to ask whether you are running any dedicated antispyware program that either employs immunisation or active detection that may have had a detection update around the time your problem started.

REDACTED

Re: Avast premier 5 and Incredimail out going email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 06:33:53 PM »
Please tell me what to do so I can resume using my computer like i did when I first installed Avast anti virus.
Since I updated the Avast program to 5 back in November, my computer is using 50 and 70 percent CPU time (according to the Task Manager) every time I use the "Incredimail" email program. 
When that happens, I cannot edit or add send-to email names. To get around this I have to disable Avast.  When I disable Avast, the Task Manager shows a huge decrease in CPU activity and then I can create emails.  I have no other programs running in the background, all has been disabled in msconfig.  This anomaly did not occur before I updated the Avast software.  Avast offered me a remote diagnosis for $170, which of course I denied.  Anyone know what is going on here and how do I can fix it?  Avast has not helped.