Author Topic: Dec 4 update blocking applications. How do I change settings?  (Read 1664 times)

REDACTED

Dec 4 update blocking applications. How do I change settings?
« on: December 14, 2014, 03:19:01 PM »
The Dec 4 update on my Mac running Yosemite has cause quite a bit of problems. Avast is blocking Carbonite backup, Dropbox and creating issues with iCloud validation. I initially thought it was a issue with my Mac, but after two evenings with Mac support and yesterday morning with Carbonite support we found the issue to be Avast Dec 4 update.

Can anyone tell me how to allow these application to work? I tried adding the Carbonite url and that did not work.

Thank you.

Offline specimen9999

Re: Dec 4 update blocking applications. How do I change settings?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 04:52:01 PM »
Have you tried disabling "Scan secured connections" for the Web Shield?

Personally, I always have it disabled (until Avast! can figure out how to make per process exclusions instead of domains), I know how it works and I don't like the way it works, it's basically a hack, what would equate to a MITM attack but for a good purpose, but somewhat unreliable except for e-mail.

In terms of the ratio between security and convenience, it's too inconvenient at this stage for the security benefits it provides (don't forget you still have the File Shield as another line of defense).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 04:54:30 PM by specimen9999 »