Author Topic: Avast sets system restore points to 50% and ignores your setting  (Read 7519 times)

REDACTED

Avast sets system restore points to 50% and ignores your setting
« on: December 14, 2014, 06:26:19 PM »
When you install avast, now it moves the slider of system restore point space to 50% of the OS partition.
Filling it with trash.
You can put it at a lower percentage, soon after its on 50% again. Allways

Also it IGNORES that you DISABLE system restore point protection. It fills the drive with trash though.

Open a web page? DATA SAVES added.
After some minutes usage of your computer it reaches at least 700mb. And knows no end.
I discovered it when my OS partition was full suddenly.

After uninstalling avast, problem solved.

Thats new. And its unacceptable.

Just wrote this, and i am at 130mb allready. System restore is disabled. 5 minutes avast FRESH installed, 130mb saved from avast. Counting.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:34:45 PM by polzi »

REDACTED

Re: Avast sets system restore points to 50% and ignores your setting
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 06:32:19 PM »
Added:
Its not constant what gets added. 4 mb for a youtube video for example.

But in the end it fills your OS partition.

I tested a day without avast.
My system restore setting was valid. Nothing got added, as restore is disabled, slider stays at 1%.

Installed avast again, slider at 50% automatically..... etc
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:35:44 PM by polzi »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »
This is terrible  >:(. This post also describes it: https://forum.avast.com/?topic=161203.new;topicseen#new

What if I disable system restore on my OS partition and enable it on my normal data disk partition? Will avast! use that or re-enable this stupid setting!?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 09:23:50 PM »
I am having this problem as well. Is a fix being worked on for this? My system restore is constantly being reset to %50 usage, and that is just horrible for an SSD.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:04:51 PM »
What version of avast (Free/Pro/AIS/Premier)?

If using a SSD, settings should be available to disable System Restore from there.  What SDD are you running?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 06:22:06 AM »
Avast Free. It was installed since December and updated as new releases came out. However, I did jump the gun and completely uninstall/reinstall the latest standalone version that is up to date.

I use the Samsung 840 Pro. I still want system restore for when I fix driver issues and things go awry - it's one of the best time-savers I've found when making driver mistakes. I just don't want to use 120GB of my SSD. I currently set it at %7 and I suppose if it happens again I'll report.

Prior to this though, it was performing the unwanted behavior for over a year. I had just disabled system restore all together, but now I'm having driver issues, and, well, I want to save time  ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 06:24:04 AM »
I understand the process of troubleshooting... and going ahead and reinstalling just made everything moot and /facepalm. Sorry.

The wonders of IT and it's customers. Didn't think I'd be one of the bad ones lol

Offline cbino

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 10:06:04 AM »
It happened to me, but as has been said in other parts of the Forum the problem is due to the component NG Avast!
Uninstall the component NG or proceed to a new custom installation excluding it!
Hello

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 10:33:52 PM »
Avast Free. It was installed since December and updated as new releases came out. However, I did jump the gun and completely uninstall/reinstall the latest standalone version that is up to date.

I use the Samsung 840 Pro. I still want system restore for when I fix driver issues and things go awry - it's one of the best time-savers I've found when making driver mistakes. I just don't want to use 120GB of my SSD. I currently set it at %7 and I suppose if it happens again I'll report.

Prior to this though, it was performing the unwanted behavior for over a year. I had just disabled system restore all together, but now I'm having driver issues, and, well, I want to save time  ;)
840 Pro is an excellent consumer SSD.  You should have Samsung Magician installed; settings are there to restrict data writes within it.  The Advanced section will allow you to refine settings to your requirements, including allowing Windows Search to run normally.  850 EVO 120 GB is currently running at 29 GB with all programs installed under Advanced here, and is not showing any issues with 2015.10.2.2018 AIS installed.  Best workaround for you would be to consider installing a disk imaging software to recover from any errors, including malware infections, in as little as 10 minutes.  SSD's speed up the recovery process noticeably, cutting the image restore process by as much as 10 minutes over a SATA II drive.  Plus, you can do without System Restore if you do daily incremental backups since the image creation is as good as, or better than, using the Restore function.

I have 100 GB total drive space available, with 11.18 GB utilized as disk reserve.

Not running System Restore will free up to 7 GB space according to your settings if you've set the disk reserve to default.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801