Author Topic: Windows Login process "hangs"  (Read 7451 times)

Offline K.J.

Windows Login process "hangs"
« on: December 15, 2014, 09:45:13 AM »
Hello,
Since we installed AEP (8.0.1603) we have a problem: when the users try to log in to their computers, after they enter their passwords and click on login, the "Welcome..." message appears as usual, and then it just won't move on, shows the spinning circle forever. No disk or network activity occurs, and neither ctrl-alt-delete, nor pressing power button once (to shut down) works, only a hard reset/shutdown.
This happens randomly. Initially after installing AEP it seems to work for a few days, then the problem begins to occur. But the problem gets worse: initially it only happens once or twice randomly, after a (hard) reboot the user can successfully login, but later it gets more frequent and the user may need to reboot 5-6 times sometimes to get lucky and able to login once. (At this point I need to uninstall and reinstall avast)
- safe mode works
- no problem before installed AEP
- uninstalling AEP solves the problem
- uninstalling (with the aswclear utility) and reinstalling AEP works, but again for a few random days
- so far only happened on Windows 7 clients (all of them!), but I might heard now a report from a Vista user too

Any ideas why this could happen?
I am going to try to use the option to only load avast after all system processes loaded.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Windows Login process "hangs"
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:57:14 AM »
What server os/sp?
What os/sp on the client(s) ?

Offline K.J.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 03:19:26 PM »
the server is not important (linux btw), there is no domain or whatsoever, all user profiles are local profiles, avast clients are all local, no avast server/console is being used.
the clients are mostly windows 7 professional x64 sp1 fully up to date, and a few older vista business x64 sp2(?) fully updated.
to me it seems that the avast service either fails to load or otherwise blocks important system service from being loaded, probably a boot time race condition occurs or something.
i've changed the setting on some clients to only load avast after all other services are running, i'll see if that helps.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »
Hello,
i have the same problem with AEP (8.0.1603) and 40 Win7 Clients in a Win 2008 R2 Domain, sometimes one client random hang on the Windows login.
If i do a hardreset and the second login will work instant, now i have 2-9 days no problem with that client than the problem is still here.

1/40 Clients a day have this problem.

What can i do ?

Thank You

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »
Hello KJ/ Zwergenmeister,

So we can help try to resolve the issue with our engineers could you please provide the following.

Debug logs from avast and event viewer errors?

Also some list of installed apps from OS can be usefull. They can use some public apps to get a list of installed sw in the OS.

Then please send the files to enterprise-support@avast.com

Set the title as 8.1 Logs - Attn Che'Johnson

Thank you again for all your cooperation.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
Thank you, ihave send you 2 E-Mails and have now 2 ticket numbers.

K.J. have you fixed the Problem only with deinstallation ?

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 04:53:17 PM »
It's one of the modules who blocks the login process.

We only activate the filesystem module and no more login problems. An avast tech told us to do so a long time ago (when v8 was freshly released) and we do that now with every installation.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 08:23:18 AM »
Hey,

same problem here... OS : Win7 Pro SP1 x64. I found a workaround : Boot Windows into Safe Mode and go into services.msc and disable the start up from Avast! AntiVirus. ( Starttype: disable ) . After that reboot your system and you ´ll see that this problem is temporarly solved.

THIS IS ONLY TEMPORARLY AND WILL ALSO DISABLE YOUR VIRUS PROTECTION !

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:32:38 AM »
Hello Kinder,

Thanks for your replay.

It's one of the modules who blocks the login process.

We only activate the filesystem module and no more login problems.

Have you try more modules to actived to see what is the really bad modul ?

I have make by a client that have the problem, i allways restart in a cycle with a batchfile and have a hang after 20-30 reboots.
So maybe i can test it what is really the bad modul.

Thanks

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »
Hello Kinder,

i can confirm if only the filesystem is active it works all fine !! Over 600 reboots no Problem.

I have test all modules one by one and deactived it, the last one was the mail modul i think it is it, to check it i have now a test running where all modules are active and only the mail modul is deactiveted

Thank You

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 09:32:44 AM »
So the weekend is over and i can say that only the mail modul is the problem, only deactived that and all works fine.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 03:02:31 AM »
Hello,
I also have the same problem with AEP (8.0.1603) and 30 Win7(SP1)/winXP(SP3) Clients, sometimes one client random hang on the Windows login.
Removing avast stop this problems. I need help.
Thank You.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 09:45:12 AM »
Hello Guys,

any new news to this topic ?