Author Topic: Computer wouldn't start. Apparent "forced" upgrade from 7.0.1426 to 8.0.1506.  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Switched on an old Windows 7 laptop with AIS 7.0.1426.
Windows wouldn't start, ran 'Startup Repair', after 2 reboots AIS version is now 8.0.1506.

1/. Should I presume that this is a forced upgrade because version 7 is no longer supported?
2/. Is it normal for there to be no advance notification of this?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
My question is, why are you using outdated security software?  ???
It's very important to keep your security software up to date.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Fair question. I had kept it on there because some of my clients stayed with 7.0.1426 in order to retain the email certification. They've now moved to v.9 (and some v.10) so I've no need to keep it that way anymore.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
There is some old version support - just virus definitions updates, not entirely sure if program updates would be done on historic versions. 

The last released version (build number) of the old major versions, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc. would have limited support - however, your 7.0.1426 isn't the last avast 7 build, that was 7.0.1474. That may have been the trigger for the update to the next avast version 8.0. 8.0.1506

Interestingly it has switched you to:
2014-01-27

Support version for migration to Avast 2014

This as it mentions is a build that essentially checks for the ability to support migration to avast 2014. So I don't know if sometime in the future you might end up on avast 2014.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
WOW very interesting! I assumed that it will automatically force update to Avast 2015  ???
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
WOW very interesting! I assumed that it will automatically force update to Avast 2015  ???
Me too. There had been a new version notification in the UI for some time. I cant remember exactly what it said but it did end in "1506".

The reboot sequence was interesting too.
The first, after Windows "Startup Repair", had the avast tray icon crossed out. Opening the interface (it was still v.7) told me that the services wouldn't start and that none of the shields were active. i clicked "fix all" and after a long time, a big green tick appeared - but- also a notification that avast needed a reboot, after which the avast UI looked very different, but not 2015.

REDACTED

Me too. There had been a new version notification in the UI for some time. I cant remember exactly what it said but it did end in "1506".

The reboot sequence was interesting too.
The first, after Windows "Startup Repair", had the avast tray icon crossed out. Opening the interface (it was still v.7) told me that the services wouldn't start and that none of the shields were active. i clicked "fix all" and after a long time, a big green tick appeared - but- also a notification that avast needed a reboot, after which the avast UI looked very different, but not 2015.

I've gone thru some forced reboots from V8 to V10 which did not fair out too well.
Because of NG, WebShield and other issues I do not think V10 is stable yet IMHO so I dropped back on all PCs except one test PC to latest/last 2014/V9.  Historically I've observed it takes Avast about 6+ months (3 releases) to get a new version stable.
I also practice always doing a CLEAN un-reinstall of Avast.....this avoids a lot of known and unknown problems....I can understand with the nature of what Avast is doing how a "update" install can be difficult to be always stable.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Day 2.
Despite the "drama" - and having to change to standard IMAP port settings in Thunderbird - good ole '8.0.1506' seems to be working (and curiously offering me an upgrade to 9.0.1506)

REDACTED

Day 2.
Despite the "drama" - and having to change to standard IMAP port settings in Thunderbird - good ole '8.0.1506' seems to be working (and curiously offering me an upgrade to 9.0.1506)

That is wild....BUT my guess is the update link no longer has V9...but V10...thus IF you do the update it'll be to Avast 10/ 2015...only a guess....just because Avast has pulled all it's V9 links even thru 3rd parties.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
...Because of NG, WebShield and other issues I do not think V10 is stable yet IMHO so I dropped back on all PCs except one test PC to latest/last 2014/V9.  Historically I've observed it takes Avast about 6+ months (3 releases) to get a new version stable.

For similar reasons I also don't have AIS 2015.10 on any PCs at the moments.
Apart from the aforementioned Windows 7 laptop,
Windows 8.1 - still running 9.0.2021
Windows XP - reverted to 9.0.2010

However Avast! free 2015.10.0.2208 is working fine on  Windows 7 and Vista PCs in my home.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
That is wild....BUT my guess is the update link no longer has V9...but V10...thus IF you do the update it'll be to Avast 10/ 2015...only a guess....just because Avast has pulled all it's V9 links even thru 3rd parties.
Up until yesterday I would have thought the same, but somehow I got version 8 from somewhere!

REDACTED

Up until yesterday I would have thought the same, but somehow I got version 8 from somewhere!

I know.....that is crazy......can't explain it.....BUT since I'm not a fan of Avast 10 (yet) not being there IMHO is a good thing.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Day 2.

Not necessarily otherwise would it not follow your train of thought when avast only updated to 8.0.1506 on Vladimyr's system.

Though as I said in my Reply #3 relating to build 8.0.1506:
Quote from: DavidR
This as it mentions is a build that essentially checks for the ability to support migration to avast 2014. So I don't know if sometime in the future you might end up on avast 2014.

So it looks like the update offer to update to avast 2014 9.0.1506 came sooner than expected. I also note an anomaly in the build number offered as there is no 9.0.1506 version on the http://www.avast.com/release-history page. That seems a mash up of what Vladimyr's had in the image posted, avast 8.0.1506, build numbers shouldn't be the same.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security