Author Topic: How configure for IncrediMail&Pegasus?  (Read 12409 times)

midway

How configure for IncrediMail&Pegasus?
« on: November 02, 2003, 12:19:15 AM »
 First post from an avast beginner: Maybe this has been answered, but I couldn't find it in a search. I'm having difficulty understanding the Mail Protection wizard. When I used it, it offered under Service Settings the option of my ISP's SMPT and POP, which is rtcol.com. I chose those. Does this mean that my e-mail client called IncrediMail is being scanned, as well as Outlook Express which I have but don't use very often? And ...  I'm thinking of going to Pegasus. How do I get it to scan Pegasus? It's obvious that I don't have much computer savy, so I need some rather basic language in any replies. Thanks!

Walker

Re:How configure for IncrediMail&Pegasus?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 12:51:10 AM »

Deleted.... Tech., thankfully corrected me  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 02:50:04 AM by Walker »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 01:41:03 AM »
I'm having difficulty understanding the Mail Protection wizard.
When I used it, it offered under Service Settings the option of my ISP's SMPT and POP, which is rtcol.com.
I chose those. Does this mean that my e-mail client called IncrediMail is being scanned, as well as Outlook Express which I have but don't use very often?
I need some rather basic language in any replies. Thanks!

Mail Protection Wizard starts at the end of the avast! installation.
If you choose to protect MS Outlook the MPW will do its job automaticaly (you can choose the mail accounts to be protected for Inbound and/or Outbound Mail. Walker described the situation before and after the MPW runs...

To protect IncrediMail choose 'Set up the protection manually' and follow the screens for 'another e-mail client than MS Outlook/Exchange'...

Any trouble just let us know... Wellcome to avast!  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Walker

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 01:53:45 AM »
If you choose to protect MS Outlook the MPW will do its job automaticaly (you can choose the mail accounts to be protected for Inbound and/or Outbound Mail. Walker described the situation before and after the MPW runs...

Hi Tech,

Midway says he/she is using Outlook Express, I didn't thing the MPW worked on OE... has that changed ??  :-\

Walker.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 01:59:46 AM »

Hi Tech,

Midway says he/she is using Outlook Express, I didn't thing the MPW worked on OE... has that changed ??  :-\

Walker.

I only use Outlook Express with avast!  ::)
Or almost, I use IncrediMail sometimes  ;)
Both are fully integrated with avast!. Today, avast! supports the following Internet Mail Clients: MS Outlook (including Outlook 2003), MS Exchange, MS Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail and The Bat!  ;)

Walker

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 02:12:34 AM »
Thanks for correcting me Tech.

I obviously missinterpreted the help file....

MS Outlook or Exchange clients are automatically protected by avast! and there is no need to set anything. To protect other e-mail clients, like Outlook Express or Eudora, it is necessary to change some settings to make the mail protection fully functional.

But then it also goes onto say....

The mail protection wizard works with these mail clients: MS Outlook, Exchange, Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, and IncrediMail.

It's obviously past my bed time  ;D

midway

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 02:53:20 AM »
 Thanks for the answers. However, I'm confused. Do I use Walker's detailed procedure or Technical's advice to do the manual setup?

Walker

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 02:55:42 AM »
Midway,

Sorry for my confusion  :-[

Try Technicals suggestion first ie run the 'Mail Protection Wizard' and let us know how you get on.

Walker.

midway

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 03:04:11 AM »
 Using the Mail Protection Wizard, when I get to "Service Settings," should I chose the option of 127.0.0.1 for the smtp and the pop3 boxes? If your answer is "yes," then would that give me protection for any e-mail client that avast! supports?

Walker

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2003, 12:43:09 PM »
Using the Mail Protection Wizard, when I get to "Service Settings," should I chose the option of 127.0.0.1 for the smtp and the pop3 boxes? If your answer is "yes," then would that give me protection for any e-mail client that avast! supports?

Midway,

Sorry for the delay, timezones you know... ;)

Let's start by following Technicals advice.... he's usually right  :). After installing Avast, it should automatically run the mail protection wizard, if it doesn't there is an option to run it from the <Start> <Programs> <Adwil/Avast> menu. This should pick up your settings and port evrything through the Provider in Avast. Ignore what I said and leave the 'dotted quads' alone for now. and check whether the Avast Icon revolves when sending recieving mail.

Pegasus will be another thing, there is (as far as I know ;)) an issue with Pegasus's latest version and the auto MPW and you will need to configure in the (manual) way I mentioned, but we can get to that later.

Walker.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 12:45:09 PM by Walker »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2003, 12:55:39 PM »

No midway... Choose your own smtp and pop servers at Mail Protection Wizard. The application will save this information and change, automatically into Outlook Express and Incredimail the accounts properties to 127.0.0.1

If you choose the option 'set up the protection manually' you could set what accounts will be protected and if you want to scan the Inbound and/or Outbound Mail.

There is no trouble, make tests... All changes are easy reversible, you won't harm your system.

Good luck.

midway

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2003, 01:07:58 PM »
 Boy, you folks are fast. It's 7 a.m. here and I just got online after a night's sleep and there are two replies to my last post. Here's my situation: I have both my smtp and pop3 set for my server using the MPW. I just sent an e-mail to myself using IncrediMail and the avast button revolved both in sending and in receiving!! Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2003, 01:13:34 PM »
Boy, you folks are fast. It's 7 a.m. here and I just got online after a night's sleep and there are two replies to my last post. Here's my situation: I have both my smtp and pop3 set for my server using the MPW. I just sent an e-mail to myself using IncrediMail and the avast button revolved both in sending and in receiving!! Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Good morning, midway... Are you happy with avast! forum?  ;D
As I can see, everything is working fine now... either on Outlook Express and Incredimail, isnĀ“t it?  8)

midway

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2003, 01:17:31 PM »
 Yes, thank you.

Walker

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2003, 01:56:08 PM »
Midway,

Remember, if you start using Pegasus, there are some issues amd you may need to configure manually.

Good luck
Walker.