Author Topic: Unable to Scan?  (Read 3398 times)

JoBee

Unable to Scan?
« on: September 26, 2005, 03:07:48 PM »
I was just wondering why Avast! after it has gone through comes back saying "Unable to Scan..." . I understand why it would say this for a few, but I can't follow why it would be saying that for nearly 3000 files everytime.

I admit I am on a steep learning curve and are reasonably computer illiterate. I hope I haven't made a total fool of myself, and asked something obvious.

Jo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Unable to Scan?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 03:09:42 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forums.

I hope I haven't made a total fool of myself, and asked something obvious.
Better that than not ask and find that it's something serious, that would be stupid ;D

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others.

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 03:12:11 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

oralcumfix

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 02:50:46 AM »
Hi. I am an intermediate newbie. Just enough knowledge to get me into trouble!  I have been using Avast for a few months, and love it. I recently did a clean install and reformat of my windows XP-home.  I downloaded the Avast home edition and used my previous license key, which was only 6 weeks old.  Anyway, whenever I download a file to "My downloads" folder, I always run a quick scan by right clicking in explorer.  I was able to scan in the past, but now I am getting that error message: "Error during open ATL  Error number  -1" (Minus one).  Do you have any suggestions?  Should I uninstall and try a new download?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 03:00:13 AM »
Error during open ATL  Error number
This is a very old error (2003).
Are you trying to install the last 4.6.691 version or not? If not, better unistall and download the last version to install, like you've said.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 03:08:24 AM »

oralcumfix

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 05:03:38 AM »
For some reason I used an older version. I don't remember why, but the new version gave me a problem with MSN messenger 7.5, and it was suggested to use an older avast version in a lockergnome forum. Now that I think of it, MSN messenger is not as important to me as Avast. Thus I will update my Avast program, and deal with any future problems here, since you are obviously the experts. Sorry about the double posting, I now see that the boards are read and responded to quickly!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 02:10:18 PM »
Sweaty_bigboy, indeed if I were you I won't use an old version of avast!
MSN messenger should work with the new one. I won't believe in suggestions like 'use the old version forever'.
Maybe like a workaround but looking for a definitive solution.
About the quick answers, oh, be used to avast! forum speed  ;)