Author Topic: Cannot change password  (Read 4485 times)

REDACTED

Cannot change password
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:27:26 PM »
Hello there,
as passwords should change regularly, I wanted to change mine for the Avast account but were not able to do that because every time I try to change the password there is an error:
Your old password is invalid.

This is not possible as I am using a password manager and I copied the old value directly from the database. Also I used that exact same password to log into the account.

Please fix this.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Cannot change password
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:54:13 PM »
If you can copy/paste the password from the managers database it is time for a better password manager.
Passwords should be stored encrypted.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:47:26 AM »
I also tried to change password and it complains that old password is wrong. It works fine using the same password when logging in to the Avast web pages.

As unrelated to this area of the forum, also the logging to the mobile application is broken. It also complains "e-mail or password is incorrect".

REDACTED

Incorrect password message
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
I'm having the same problem with my password right now too. I'm wanting to stop a virus scan, but it says my password is incorrect. I went through the whole resetting the password like you did through the website, only to not have it work and I still get the same message about incorrect password.

Did you ever get it fixed? If so, how? If not, do you know if an uninstall/reinstall or install of a different brand antivirus software would work?

thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »
You will need to use the password set in avast, not the one you use for the website.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:46:58 PM »
Hi,
havng similiar problem.
pc ui says password incorrect and i cant do anything with avast.
changed password on web account but that didnt work on pc ui.
cant uninstall avast as it asks for my password to allow me access program.
how can i sort this out please.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 04:47:49 AM »
As has been explained, the password for your avast account and the one set for the avast tool are two different things.
As has been explained many times on this webboard and other places, if you forgot your password for the tool, you will need to perform a clean installation of it.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 07:05:15 PM »
I also tried to change password and it complains that old password is wrong. It works fine using the same password when logging in to the Avast web pages.

As unrelated to this area of the forum, also the logging to the mobile application is broken. It also complains "e-mail or password is incorrect".

Hello there,
as passwords should change regularly, I wanted to change mine for the Avast account but were not able to do that because every time I try to change the password there is an error:
Your old password is invalid.

This is not possible as I am using a password manager and I copied the old value directly from the database. Also I used that exact same password to log into the account.

Please fix this.

Both of the quotes above are identical to the issue I'm facing: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=173765.0