Author Topic: Beta  (Read 30188 times)

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Beta
« on: December 19, 2014, 05:06:39 PM »
Do you have some issues with Avast? Maybe they are already fixed in the beta version.
Just switch on the "use beta channel" option in the updates preferences or download
the beta version from the following URL and give it a try.

http://download.ff.avast.com/mac/beta/avast_free_mac_security_online.dmg
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:24:06 AM by lukas.hasik »

Offline specimen9999

Re: Beta
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »
Thanks, if I understand correctly, the way the process white listing works is by isolating browsers from all other apps, so there are 2 states for this, either scan all secure connections or just browsers?

Also, is Tor Browser (firefox based) included?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:03:35 AM by tumic »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
Thanks, if I understand correctly, the way the process white listing works is by isolating browsers from all other apps, so there are 2 states for this, either scan all secure connections or just browsers?
Exactly.

Also, is Tor Browser (firefox based) included?
No, the Tor browser is not included and I don't think that it is a good idea to do so...

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 12:26:16 PM »
Do you have some issues with Avast? Maybe they are already fixed in the beta version.
Just switch on the "use beta channel" option in the updates preferences or download
the beta version from the following URL and give it a try.

ON topic: Is there a change-log or any kind of information for the beta version somewhere?
Like it is now, the beta is a surprise package: the installer doesn't even carry a version number.

(Upon deep inspection of the installer package it seems the current "beta" actually is the same build 43623-10.6 as the release version - ?)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 03:37:44 AM »
Just wanna inform/notify that Avast failed to install in OS X 10.11 Public Beta. Hope a fix will be issue soon

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »
Just wanna inform/notify that Avast failed to install in OS X 10.11 Public Beta. Hope a fix will be issue soon

This is a known issue, we are working on it. Avast will be ready for OS X 10.11 before the final version is released.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 01:55:01 AM »

This is a known issue, we are working on it. Avast will be ready for OS X 10.11 before the final version is released.

Hi,
Is it also a known issue that SecureLine will not install either? Any update on avast products working on Mac? I need protection:)

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:50:58 AM »
Is it also a known issue that SecureLine will not install either? Any update on avast products working on Mac? I need protection:)

Yes, the same applies for SecureLine. There will be a new OS X 10.11 compatible version as well.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 07:54:38 PM »
There is a new, OS X 10.11 compatible Beta out there!

New since previous version:
- New, faster scan engine
- Home Network Security (HNS)
- No more adware-like SW installation of SecureLine

For a new install use
or simply check the "Use beta channel" checkbox in the "Updates" preferences.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 11:44:54 AM »
Avast Mac Security 2016 Beta

Avast 2016 Beta version (12.0) released. Main features:

- Added scheduled scans.
- Added Avast Passwords.
- Scan reports are now user-manageable.
- Rebranding - new Avast logo & graphics.

And of course as usual - lots of minor issue fixes and iprovements ;-) Please give it a try and report bugs, if any.
The URL for new installs is still the same, but just for the record:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:35:28 PM by tumic »

Offline Paul336

• Paul Vald
  • PV
    • PAUL VALD
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 12:55:45 AM »
Do'nt update bases in Avast Mac Security 2016 Beta from 2016-10-30 !..
Где они, ищущие души нашей?..
Все они пали, а мы стали и стоим прямо!..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 09:09:41 PM »
Question:  Are you intending to continue with the webrep extension for Safari?  I see it's still installed as part of the package, but it does not get added to Safari and the toolbar icon is still that rather ugly circle :-\

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 12:12:03 PM »
Question:  Are you intending to continue with the webrep extension for Safari?  I see it's still installed as part of the package, but it does not get added to Safari and the toolbar icon is still that rather ugly circle :-\

Well, there are so many problems with the Safari extension, that we really think about removing it from the installation. But it has not yet been decided, that's all I can say about it.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 09:00:56 PM »
Thanks for the response.

Can I then ask what function does the extension actually perform?  Is just a web reputation tool (similar to WOT) with some tracker blocking functionality or does it perform a more important security role?

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 12:11:28 PM »
Thanks for the response.

Can I then ask what function does the extension actually perform?  Is just a web reputation tool (similar to WOT) with some tracker blocking functionality or does it perform a more important security role?

It is exactly as you say - it is only a reputation tool with some "fancy" tracker blocking functionality. All the security functions like infected URL blocking and traffic content  scanning are in the webshield which is not connected to the AOS extension in any way.