Author Topic: Share your dumbest pc moment :)  (Read 17734 times)

L4leather

Share your dumbest pc moment :)
« on: November 02, 2003, 01:02:29 AM »
Hi guys n gals.

As my first post I thought I should open by sharing one of the dumbest mistakes I have made on my PC in years..

BUT CAN YOU DO BETTER?? :) LOL
(Or should it be "have you done worse"?)

Ok so here I am an old geezer in mid life, well ish ( mutters age under breath with cough to cover up)

Been messing with pcs, n amigas n all that stuff for well donkeys years, sorta like noah n all those guys :) (did he have an oric?)

BUT NO I STILL DO SOME REAL DUMB THINGS!! after all these years lol

So there I am happily downloading files secure in the knowledge that avast has never let me down,  basking in the sheer safety of it all :)

N then Avast goes into action and picks up 2 unwanted guests that have sneaked under the wire. DAH DAH, man I knew this was one reliable program!!
I pat myself on the back for my sheer intelligence at choosing such an excellent program.

So I get the usual hey don't panic Mr Manoring message you know the one

" caution there is no need to panic this pc will not self destruct in 5 seconds, but it might be an idea to move these files that could totally **** up your whole system, probably all your friends pc's, and maybe even halt the internet, to the chest ) or words to that effect.

So I bung em in the chest and take a note of their names, (for future party invites or whatever (sad or what?),...delete em and I guess that should have been the story finished :)))))

BUT OOOH NOOO

THATS FAR TOO EASY FOR THE LIKES OF ME lol

I need to try n be smart n think I know what the heck I am doin here :) Delusions of intelligence and all that (by the way if you are really stupid, would you know?)

So off I go to find out more about the virus s (wipes dribble from chin after pronouncing plural virusesssssssss)

Anyway super sleuth that I am, I find out that one virus would disable in jan 2004 anyway and is pretty harmless.
BUT ( theres always a but )

TO be sure, the article says, I could always delete this service and this other service in windows, and then recheck that all is well

BUT oh no thats STILL too easy for me!!!!

I mean I REALLY want to put a spanner in the works, I REALLY need to let my brain completely slip a pile of gears!! life just can't be that simple lol

So I mess (up) some more

IE
Search pc for both windows service files (bearing in mind Avast had already done the work). needless to say no files found Surprise surprise!!!! man was my brain having a day off :)
 :P

So THEN

I forward the system date to OCT 2004
AND all is well

Time for a congratulatory whiskey, man I was feeling intelligent :D I mean how did they miss me out when they were looking for rocket scientists I just can't comprehend, are they dumb or what  :)

Can you see whats coming?

So yeh you've guessed it, I reboot again at the correct date and year and surprise!!!

Avast licence has expired you dumb *** do not pass go n for sure don't collect an intelligence award :))) LOL
"You just spent a hour pratting about doing something Avast had already done, and totally stuffed the licence system for Avast"

Feel free to pass comments of derision, or top this dumbest of the dumb brain hiccups with your story of sheer ineptitude

Of course the bright side is for sure I dont have a virus lol, trouble is I don't have a working Avast either :)

Yours in humour

L4leather

ps
sorry about the spelling but I am a bit lisdexic, although my friends tell me it's KO.

I am going for a lie down now I think I see my nurse comming.

Walker

Re:Share your dumbest pc moment :)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 01:09:58 AM »
Hi L4l, welcome to the forum,

GREAT post, it amused me  ;D ;D ;D

I don't have to guess for a minute your nationality  ;)

Walker.

L4leather

:0 thx
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 01:28:44 AM »
Thx for the reply Walker

to be sure to be sure, n the top of the mornin to ya

:)

Senior member huh, you must be REALLY REALLY old  :P (want to borrow my nurse?)

L4Leather

Walker

Re::0 thx
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 02:37:32 AM »
to be sure to be sure, n the top of the mornin to ya

I was right... a yorkshireman  ;) :)

(want to borrow my nurse?)

OH YES PLEASE  :o :P :o :P

L4leather

Yorkshireman lol
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 01:30:15 PM »
Yeh something like that. With those dialect skills you should consider working for MI5 ..
Well on second thoughts maybe mcdonalds.

Will send my nurse shortly, kinda tied up right now  :P

Ok heres the error message

"an error occurred while attempting update".. Info says licence outta date... which it aint.. reinstall? sneaky suspicion its a register from scratch job  :( I can only assume that in the reg somewhere it has noted my temporary forward date, and won't let me play with the correct system date now. Suggestions on a post card, preferably attached to a £10 note

L4leather

todays daft quote
I was training to be a wordsmith, but the price of coal was prohibitive.

Walker

Re:Yorkshireman lol
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 02:09:38 PM »
Yeh something like that. With those dialect skills you should consider working for MI5 ..
Well on second thoughts maybe mcdonalds.

With comments like that, I can highly recommend you run Fdisk  (twice)  :P ;D

In all honestly, I can't think what is happening with your registration (apart from your own suggestions). I guess it's a job for the Avast bods.

Just curious, what's the OS ?. Considering your age, do you load it by slotting in a couple of large stone tablets endorsed by Moses?.   ::)  Any chance it's XP and a system restore will help?

Is this Avast Home or Pro license key?.

Re-installing Avast and re-entering your license doesn't work y/n?

As for the 10 pound note...  :P :P :P  I'm in wondeful euroland anyway  :'(

Walker.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 02:28:34 PM »
Gentlemen, I don't wanna interrupt your fruitful discussion but I'd need to know whether L4leather is using a demo or retail license key (and if it's avast Home or Pro).

Thanks
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Walker

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 02:42:13 PM »
Gentlemen, I don't wanna interrupt your fruitful discussion but I'd need to know whether L4leather is using a demo or retail license key (and if it's avast Home or Pro).
Thanks

Hi Vlk,

Your getting as bad as me  :-\ ... pay attention, I've asked  :P

Máš krásné oči.

Blast... I don't have a czech character set  :(
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 02:47:55 PM by Walker »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 03:22:00 PM »
Your getting as bad as me

Oh shoot! :) :P

pay attention, I've asked  

You have? I thought I could count on you... :P

Máš krásné oči.

What the ...? :o Now, that's a compliment (although it'd work better with a 22-years old coctail waitress I guess...)

Anyway, you can say that from the 80x80 picture? Gee I'll probaly need to change it... (first the head, then the eyes -- I wonder what comes next)

Walker

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2003, 03:55:06 PM »
Your getting as bad as me

Oh shoot! :) :P

'Shooting' is a good option when you get a daft as me  :-\

What the ...? :o Now, that's a compliment (although it'd work better with a 22-years old coctail waitress I guess...)

I've only the got the Prague 'after midnight' phrasebook  :( don't know WHY  ::)

Anyway, you can say that from the 80x80 picture? Gee I'll probaly need to change it... (first the head, then the eyes -- I wonder what comes next)

Now the latest picture is good.... must have been taken when you were younger  :P <joking, honest>
 :) :) ;)

Waldo

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2003, 05:22:39 PM »
Is it just me, or does VLK looks alot like Enrique Eglesias ? (The Spanish artist)

;D

I swear, they look like twins. hehe...

Don't know if this is good, but if VLK gets the same amount of chicks every night, it must be awsome !

Waldo
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 05:24:17 PM by Waldo »

Walker

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2003, 06:00:31 PM »
Is it just me, or does VLK looks alot like Enrique Eglesias ? (The Spanish artist)

Definately "some" kind of artist Waldo... just can't put my finger on what kind  :)

btw; noticed your footnote... you into balisongs?

Walker

Walker

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2003, 06:39:19 PM »
Here Vlk.... I've got something to put on your head  :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2003, 06:44:49 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Is this really my beloved Columbia hat? :-* :-*

Walker

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2003, 06:49:05 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Is this really my beloved Columbia hat? :-* :-*

I guess the best thing to say to that is... 'yes'

Ever thought of giving it back to the Columbian who gave it to you  ;D ;D