Author Topic: Avast causing slow function.  (Read 1905 times)

REDACTED

Avast causing slow function.
« on: December 19, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
I am using Avast Free on XP. About the only way I can use this desktop is to disable avast shields. I uninstalled and re-installed on 18 Dec 2014 with no improvement.

I 've read numerous threads searching for a solution. One faction insists that there is nothing wrong with the program, while the other insists that there is.

There is obviously a conflict somehow, or so many people would not have the same complaint.  My symptoms, that disappear when Avast is disabled are: Very slow browsers, Can not open certain personal files, game graphics are slow and "jumpy", inability to open some programs like Malware Bytes.

I work with wood, not computers. If you have suggestions (please) keep in mind I am not fluent in computerese.   Current version is 2015.10.0.2208

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast causing slow function.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:58:33 PM »
There is no conflict at all, but yes avast 2015 is really slow on old(er) systems.
For the browsing it is enough to just disable the webshield.
Ofcourse you will have less protection, but it is one or the other unfortunately.

For using applications...
You can disable the fileshield leaving you without protection or,
you can put in the maximum of ram the motherboard allows you and a graphics card with at least 1024 Mb ram.
It will speed things up.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 07:15:11 PM »
I have one 512 MB computer, and a 4 GB laptop. No issue with laptop. My computer has been totally messed up, since AvastSvc.exe takes over 90 % of CPU. Avast 2014 Pro was no problem, but update has been one of the worst experiences of my life. I was able to uninstall 2015 Pro (the first day it came out), and get the free 2014 version, for my XP. I tried again, yesterday, and, after five hours I found out that Avast 2015 Pro had been uninstalled, but all file were left. I could not revert to a free version, nor install another AntiVirus.
Finally, I resorted to System Restore, and got back to the free version.
 There should be a way to be able to revert to the 2014 Pro, while Avast fixes this mess. I am too old to afford a new computer, and Avast should take over the thing.
 I will watch this Forum, and see if a solution is coming up, and will not renew my license.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »
So the solution is "Don't use AVAST"?  I might not use that in my advertising.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »
Good,
I'm not working for avast, so what they use in their advertising is up to them.
I only speak as a user who does have "some" experience (30+ years) with computers. ;)
I and many others have the problem of slowness on old(er) systems.
We as users can only tell avast about it and hope the will improve things a.s.a.p.

Perini,
512 Mb is barely enough to run XP/Vista on it,
especially if you not have a separate graphics card in the system with at least 512 MB of memory on it.
Just a guess, but you did not use the uninstall tool to remove 2015...
You also did not check for (and removed) leftovers manually.