Author Topic: I have 50 instances of ngtool running. What can I do about it?  (Read 1532 times)

REDACTED

I have 50 instances of ngtool running. What can I do about it?
« on: December 20, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »
Hello,

I'm running Avast 2015 free version under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  Earlier today I found that Photoshop was running rather slowly.  Using task manager I discovered that I had 50 instances of ngtool.exe running.

I updated Avast and it virus definitions and checked again.  After restarting the machine I saw that a new instance of ngtool pops up roughly every 5 minutes.  Surely this isn't normal? 

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening and what I should do to stop it?

I am wondering if my Windows firewall configuration is to blame.  I have it set so that outbound connections that do not match a rule are blocked, NOT the default setting of allowed.  I have created rules allowing a number of Avast processes to make outgoing connections.  I seem to be getting updates, and the Avast UI seems to be getting out, so I assume that my configuration isn't completely wrong.

The command line reported by Task manager, for every instance, is "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\ng\ngtool.exe avast reinstall".

Best regards
John

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:00:36 PM by JohnRD »