Author Topic: Avast UI won't open from tray icon  (Read 3252 times)

REDACTED

Avast UI won't open from tray icon
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:30:05 PM »
Hi,

I have the latest free version of Avast (2015.10.0.2208) running on Vista SP2 (32-bit).  Until recently, I was able to right-click on the tray icon and bring up a context menu from which I could temporarily disable the shields, open the UI, etc.  Today I tried that for the first time in a while, and the context menu wouldn't open.  Not only that, but there was no Avast entry in the Start menu either, so I didn't have any way to bring up the UI.

Stopping and restarting the Avast service didn't make any difference.  I used the Windows control panel to perform a "repair" on Avast.  That brought back the start menu options, so at least I could open the UI, but the tray icon still does not bring up a context menu.  It animates when scanning is being done, so I think most of it is working OK; I just cannot launch the UI or control the shields from it as I used to do.

Has this capability been disabled in this build of Avast?  If so, please, please, PLEASE re-enable it.  Without this degree of control, Avast would become a lot less useful to me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast UI won't open from tray icon
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »
No the capability is still there and working on my XP Pro and win7 netbook systems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast UI won't open from tray icon
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:04:28 AM »
Since the repair didn't solved it, perform a clean installation.